FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender series

Author Topic: Ender series
AKShootist
Member # 10801

- posted      Profile for AKShootist   Email AKShootist         Edit/Delete Post 
I originally read Enders Game just after it s release many years ago. I plan to re-read it and the sequels in the next few months. What would be the best order to read the books? I am most interested in following the story chronologically, rather than the order in which the books were released. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Depends.

Chronologically you would read the Shadow series of books first after Ender's Game and then the series beginning with Speaker of the Dead.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably just as well off to follow the Ender quartet before starting on the Shadow series. Even though they don't come next chronologically, the Shadow series has a completely different story line and tone than the Ender series, and should really be read separately, though your mileage may vary.

By the way, welcome to Hatrack.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, chronologically you should read Ender's Shadow, then Ender's Game]/i], then the rest of the [i]Shadow series followed by the remainder Ender quartet. This is because Ender's Shadow begins at a chronologically earlier point than Ender's Game and ends chronologically earlier than the end of Ender's Game. Though really you should read the beginning of Ender's Shadow, then flip back and forth between the first two on a chapter by chapter basis, lining up the similar scenes (and noting the occasionally different dialogue).

Oooor... you could read the Ender quartet, and then the Shadow series. Which works pretty well, in my opinion, despite being utterly un-chronological.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to hatrack.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think Ender's Game should be first since it is the story told from the central characters point of view. Next Ender's Shadow because that is the same story told from an alternate character's point of view. Also, Ender was already in Battle School when Bean arrived, so I think Ender's Game is chronologically first.

Then, having read those two, chronologically, the rest of the Shadow series is next. I takes place in the approximately 1 to 5 years following the end of the Bugger War.

Then finish the rest of the Ender series which takes place roughly 3,000 years in the future. As you already know, Ender and Valentine have survive for 3,000 years by being in near constant near-light-speed space flight, causing a time dilation effect. In a sense, they have hidden themselves in time.

Also, be sure to read the book First Meetings in which we get the incredible backstory on Mr. John Paul Wiggin and Mrs. Theresa Brown-Wiggen; Ender's parents. Very good story. Further, the story of Ender meeting Jane and how Ender became a 'Speaker for the Dead' can be found in Investment Counselor. I especially love this particular story.

That should round out the whole tale very nicely.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one here who thinks the story fits just perfectly if you read the Ender quartet, then the Shadow quartet?

I mean, I know it's not chronological, but the writing just seems to progress very fluidly and I like ending the Enderverse with Shadow of the Giant's last chapter. Maybe it's just me [Smile]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I agree with Saephon. Read the first two books (Ender then Shadow/Bean), then read the rest of which ever series appeals to you at the moment. The Ender and Bean stories after the first books completely diverge and are unrelated, so their is no real advantage to reading them as chronological series.

But the original poster asked for the proper chronology, and I gave it to him to the best of my knowledge.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of reading series in the order written.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I did things really strangely.

First I read Xenocide, then I read the Alvin maker series.

Once I finished that, I picked up ender's game...along with all OCS's other books. [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.