FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Soon to be a major...made-for-cable mini-series!

Author Topic: Soon to be a major...made-for-cable mini-series!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember way back in the mid-80s, when the mass paperback version of Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman came out?

That edition included this blurb on the cover: "Soon to be a Major Motion Picture!"

More than two decades later, the long-delayed project will finally see the light...most likely as a TNT "event" mini-series during the summer of 2008.

Those of you who've read the book know that it's very cinematic, exciting stuff. Hopefully TNT gets it right.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be a travesty. Just like It. One of King's best books ever, and it was destroyed. They'll destroy The Talisman as well. Somehow, The Stand managed not to be overly horrible, which shocked me, but I doubt King is going to be as involved in this as he was in that.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It was one of King's best books ever?

Well, parts of It were very good. However, most of the "Middle-Aged Adult" portions were extremely forgettable.

King's involvement in a TV project is no guarantee of something not sucking. Case in point: Rose Red. [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched The Stand right after reading the book. "Not overly horrible" is a decent description of the miniseries. At least they managed to get a fair number of things right.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the one with the Mickey Mouse glove coming out of the sky at the end and flicking people over?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just think that a movie version of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon would be cool.

And Eyes of the Dragon. Hollywood is in such a fantasy phase, so they should do the Stephen King fantasy novel.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Eyes of the Dragon was going to be an animated feature at some point, but the option lapsed.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be better as a big budget live action film. With Edward Norton in it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
It was one of King's best books ever?

Well, parts of It were very good. However, most of the "Middle-Aged Adult" portions were extremely forgettable.

King's involvement in a TV project is no guarantee of something not sucking. Case in point: Rose Red. [Razz]

Valid point. And yes, for my money, other than the Dark Tower, the best books he's written are The Talisman, It and The Stand. In that order. Those are the three I can reread (and have done) over and over. After that comes Firestarter and The Dead Zone, which are probably his most atypical works.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
It is my favorite horror novel of all time. I've got The Talisman sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read. I hated the tv version of The Stand. It was SO watered-down, and I didn't care too much for the casting (though Gary Sinise was good). That was not the way to tell that story.

I keep wondering if it's Stephen King ruining his own stuff -- sort of a failure to be objective about it -- or if the problem is always letting Mick Garris have his hands on everything that ruins these masterpieces.

I mean The Stand is one of the most towering literary works of the last half of the last century.

But... Anyway. I saw some folks talking King so I got excited. The Talisman is one of a handful of his books I haven't read. Still plan to. Should, soon.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
*cries* On TNT????? WHY?????
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well.

But at least we have this to look forward to.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would have liked to see a decent version of the Langoliers. That was an incredibly creepy story...and could have been a much better movie.

I thought the Stand was an OK series. It was an amazing book...but a difficult one to translate to film.

I really think that King is a difficult author to film. It seems that people have a tough time translating his suspense into film form.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't "Needful Things" a tv-movie or miniseries? I remember really liking that one. It reminded me of Pet Semetary.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It was a theatrical release, Shanna.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
Personally, I would have liked to see a decent version of the Langoliers. That was an incredibly creepy story...and could have been a much better movie.

When I first read the novella, I was stunned. I mean, it was the first original thing I'd seen done with time in decades. He should have gotten a Hugo or Nebula or something for it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
I keep wondering if it's Stephen King ruining his own stuff -- sort of a failure to be objective about it -- or if the problem is always letting Mick Garris have his hands on everything that ruins these masterpieces.

Actually, he's talked about this. As far as he's concerned, nothing a movie does has any effect on his books, which are the real thing. They're all just fanfic as far as he's concerned.
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Talisman is a great story. I was pretty impressed. Most of King is hit or miss for me, and very few of the "horror" stories do much for me. I have always loved "Pet Semetary" mostly because it was the first novel I read cover to cover. But my all-time favorite movie is "Shawshank Redemption" which of course is based on one of his novella's.

And I think most of his made for TV stuff has stunk something awful. But thats just me.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.