FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Masters of Science Fiction - tv series

Author Topic: Masters of Science Fiction - tv series
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else see the series premiere on the 4th? This is a show that turns sci fi short stories into television episodes. It's introduced and 'hosted' by Stephen Hawking and the first episode, A Clean Escape (from a story by John Kessel) was populated by familiar faces.

Link to tv.com page.

It was the most literary sci fi television I have ever seen, unsurprisingly, and very good. There were some moments I didn't like the dialogue- it felt wordy and stilted, as if it was written and not spoken- but the context makes it difficult to make a judgement. It may have been intended to be like that. It was terrible and heartbreaking and very dark.

I foresee excellent, scary things for this 'anthology show'.

Anyone else see it?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught the last two-thirds. Not sure what makes it so different from Outer Limits, but I liked it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I hadn't heard of Outer Limits (a bit before my era of actively watching tv), but I suppose it's similar.

What I think I like about this is that it's adapted from written sources.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, and thought it was very good; definitely dark. I'll probably watch future episodes, and am hoping that the fact that they are basing them on different published stories by a variety of authors will mean that the episodes vary significantly in tone. Week after week of dark and heavy would lose me as a viewer.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Uprooted: me too. It was so dark, I had to distract myself afterwards. I'm a wuss.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
I hadn't heard of Outer Limits (a bit before my era of actively watching tv), but I suppose it's similar.

I don't mean the original series. I mean the one that ran from 1995-2002. (Wow. Has it really been off the air for 5 years? I guess I've been watching old shows.)

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
What I think I like about this is that it's adapted from written sources.

Outer Limits did that frequently.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I don't mean the original series. I mean the one that ran from 1995-2002. (Wow. Has it really been off the air for 5 years? I guess I've been watching old shows.)
I mean that one; I didn't really become aware of what was on tv until 2004ish. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.