FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Voldy Costume

Author Topic: Voldy Costume
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
I Volunteered to be Voldemort for Potter party for my nephew. I am to show up at the party say some evil things and wait for Harry to come and strike me down. I am very excited.

I have a good idea for the robes but what I'm getting caught up on is how I am supposed to lose my nose. They want me to look as much like the movie Voldy as possible, so I kinda need to.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful. Kids at a party and a person in costume can be a bad combination. Take it from someone who used to be a clown (literally).

They are at the right height to do real damage.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tape would be the first thing that jumps to mind.

If you want it to be tongue-in-cheek, just get a nice big piece of duct tape and pull it down tight over your nose. If you want to be more serious, get some scotch tape and experiment with facepaint.

You could also make things much easier with a large cleaver and a friend with good aim.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
How much do you like your nose?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wanted to spend $35 you could buy a mask.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Gaston Julia.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

I want to avoid the physical pain.

I need to be able to speak and look real, The problem with the mask is it will constantly keep that face.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe instead of trying to reduce the nose you could build up the area around the nose with face putty. That and liberal use of makeup, which I assume is already the plan, could do it.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Or just forget about the nose.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you happen to have a really big schnozz, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking a combination of building up the surrounding area with putty and either tape or something like a Breathe-Rite strip (or whatever they are called)-- the one time I used one it kind of pulled my nostrils out like Voldy's. (I think I had it on too low.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a scary mask. How old are these kids?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but I'd ask Michael Jackson.

The face putty thing was the first thing that came to mind for me.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

I can't forget about the nose. My brother wants me to look as much like The Dark Lord as possible, He is buying anything I need so its not cost to me but time and trying to figuer out what will work.

The kids are 5, 6 or 7ish. There are difinitly kids who would be scared by the mask.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
This stuff.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Feer, not sure where you live, your profile doesn't state that but, I would consider calling up a local or community theater group and ask them if you can either use their make-up or give you a lesson on how to do it yourself.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Feer, I have some experience in Theatrical makeup, if you want someone to help talk you through it. Making your nose disappear is *very* difficult with just putty (I've tried, putty is really only good in thin layers). Find a costume shop or other place that sells theatre makeup and talk to the guys there. It might be possible with cotton balls and latex, but the ideal thing to do is probably to make molded foam latex pieces, which really involves someone with experience. Talk to a community theatre group or a costume shop with a local college, I bet if there's a theatre presence at all there would be someone willing to do that sort of commission for you.

If you're willing to forgo the nose job, you can do some great stuff with really simple tricks. You can make your skin really pale with white mixed with a skin tone color in various amounts (not clown white, that would be too monotone and thick for the look voldemort needs). You can get color contacts that make your eyes red. Extend the makeup job to your arms and get fake nails. It could be *Very* cool and very creepy.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
panty-hose smashes down your nose. you could always pull pale stocking over your head.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have to be the "real" Voldemort? Could it be one of the versions from the earlier books? Tom Riddle or whats-his-face with the turban who had Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head.

For kids that age, you might also want to go with props to identify character. Dress up as a slytherin wizard (use some green) and carry Voldemort-y stuff. Can you borrow a snake?

Children have the lovely ability to suspend belief. It is better to "tell" them what to believe than it is to try to recreate something and not quite manage it. A fake nose that isn't perfectly done is more of an obstacle to belief than ignoring the nose issue entirely.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Just go as yourself and tell them you used Polyjuice Potion.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

well I ended up using putty to the best of my sisters ability and it worked Great! The kids really thought I was him and Harry removed my wand and ran me from the room. They loved it!

One Teenager droping off his sister said i really did look like him aswell.

Thanks for the segestions!

As far as pictures... We HAD great ones. But my nephew ran into the pool with it. So if i can find someone who was at the party and took pictures I post them if you guys wanted to see.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.