FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long posts about your deepest held beliefs - Mayfly (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Long posts about your deepest held beliefs - Mayfly
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
There's an awful lot of contention going on lately. Let's share some important beliefs in an attempt to get to know each other and build bridges. I'm hoping we can spark some really awesome conversation here about things which are really important to us. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's share some important beliefs in an attempt to get to know each other and build bridges.
Eugenics is the best idea that humankind has ever had! Yay!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Eugene invented a science called "Eugenics". It had to do with making everyone more like himself, because he was so awesome. I never looked up what it meant, though.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wrestling with the middles now. For some time, I strove always to turn the other cheek, to answer a harsh word with a soft one, and to buffer ill will as much as I could without returning it. This wasn't spectacularly successful, but it was a sincere attempt, and in some cases I think it made the situations I was in better for all overall.

However. However, I found myself (of my own responsibility and out of my own choices) flattening out psychologically. I found my own limits there, and it felt like my buffering abilities wore out (like baking soda can only buffer the acidity of so much vinegar). And more and more, it seemed to be making the overall situation worse -- angry people became angrier, users became more comfortable with using, and I felt like I was actively participating in the degradation of my own soul by not speaking out in my own defense (or at least naming what I saw in front of me that was wrong).

By the way, I'm not speaking of Hatrack here. I am speaking more to my work life, including working full time for 6 months without a paycheck, and then learning I would not be back-paid after all (leaving no money that we had counted on for tax payments, and thus leading to the wiping out of our retirement accounts altogether). Ouch. And also a medical residency earlier, which left me a very bitter and mean-mouthed harpy towards everybody. Double ouch. (But still as a result of my own choices, forseeable even.)

Well. I tried both extremes -- the meek and the witchly -- and neither really suited as good, useful, viable approaches in the long term. I need to do the fearful thing and find the right path through the relatively uncharted middle. Egads, this is much, much more difficult, but it's more difficult in the end not to do it.

---

Edited to add: I love Mayflies. *warmly

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The middle road is definitely a harder path, but I agree that is it most often the better one. The Rambam (Maimonides), drawing on Aristotle, called it the shvil hazahav, the golden mean, and recommended it for almost everything.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah, but it lacks the satisfyingly angsty and bright-flashing drama of burning out at either end. What to do, what to do? [Wink]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Angst IRL is overrated. I prefer my literature to be angsty and my life to be boring. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

But then one risks having a boring life, one without the sturm and drang of a choice daytime soap opera.

Hmmm, wait a minute ...

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
one without the sturm and drang of a choice daytime soap opera
Nah. I have kids. [Wink]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*snorting aloud
rivka
Member # 4859

Not to mention the whole business of dating. [Razz]
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Not to mention the whole business of dating. [Razz]

Of which I'm about to enter.

eeek! o.o

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's my archetypal "wise old wo(man)?" I need a talisman to cross this threshold guardian!

rivka? [Smile]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

>_<

I often feel old. But I am NOT old enough to be an archetype! [Razz]

Earendil18
Member # 3180

Archetypes can be any age. Does "mentor" sound better? [Razz]
MightyCow
Member # 9253

How do I get to be an archetype? Is there a thread where I can register?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a moveable type - and you can print that.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

FUNNY. [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I like boring and uneventful, personally. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* Says the woman who moved around the world to marry someone she had met on teh intarweb! [Eek!]

And yes Earandil, mentor is better. It would be the blind leading the blind, though. [Wink]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, right...

Okay, how about, um, non-soap-opera-y?

...and we're approaching our fourth anniversary next Wednesday... And no one's dead yet! [Big Grin] Yay!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be happy to tell you all exactly what to do with your lives. And then my daughter can disagree with me and tell you to do the opposite.

My mom sometimes says to me, "Remember how I used to tell you that someday you would have a child just like you? Well..."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Remember how I used to tell you that someday you would have a child just like you? Well..."
hahahahah

That's what my Mum says to my Sister about my niece. The revenge of the Grandmother...

As for dating, it sucks. Fortunately for me my wife has very poor taste in men and shockingly low standards.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The middle road is definitely a harder path, but I agree that is it most often the better one. The Rambam (Maimonides), drawing on Aristotle, called it the shvil hazahav, the golden mean, and recommended it for almost everything.

Even moderation should be done in moderation.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My father used to curse me that I should have a child just like me. When I was 18, he said, "Remember when I used to say you should have a child just like you? I take it back. Even you don't deserve that."
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this thread have been deleted by now and replaced by another one just like it?
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I'm being intentionally contrary
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I will never be able to go to bed with a book I am enjoying and actually go to sleep without finishing the thing.

I deeply believe this. Those people who read to get to sleep and tell me I can do the same - it's a trap. A trap that sees me reading until 3 am.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

There needs to be some more research and personal attacks before I can delete this thread in good conscience.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe I will never be able to go to bed with a book I am enjoying and actually go to sleep without finishing the thing.
There's your problem. If you really want to read yourself to sleep, go to bed with something boring and unenjoyable.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
...and we're approaching our fourth anniversary next Wednesday...

Four!? Wow!

Time sure flies when it's someone else's life! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
There needs to be some more research and personal attacks before I can delete this thread in good conscience.

You smell like elderberries and your mother dresses you funny.

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
quote:
There's your problem. If you really want to read yourself to sleep, go to bed with something boring and unenjoyable.
*yawn* In my case, it was simpler than that. I turned 30. Being old (but not old enough to be an archetype, dagnabbit!) and tired means I fall asleep while reading despite my every intention otherwise. Not always, but more often than not.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You suck and as my heavily researched proof, the second link in google scholar on the phrase includes this gem
quote:
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you suck forever

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed something. It has become much easier to...behave how I believe I should as I've gotten older.

The thing is, I am NOT a better person than I used to be. I'm less likely (not necessarily un-, but less likely) to do hurtful things to other people, but...I'm not better intentioned. I'm not more sincere. I'm not more faithful. I'm certainly not trying harder. It's just easier not to. It is more apparent that it is in my own self-interest to be better behaved. But I'm not a better person - I know I'm not. I'm lazier.

*troubled*

The only thing that makes this better is that I'm such a work in progress.

One thing I learned on my mission is that I was every kind of missionary. I was great, I was awful; I was a flirt with the elders; I was a model of aloof friendliness; I was obedient; I was lazy (but not rebellious) about obedience; I was filled with the spirit; I was so angry and spirit-less than my companion made me stop tracting. I was every kind of missionary. I was, at one point or another, a missionary who did every thing good in the missionary guide and everything less effective. So what kind of missionary was I?

Well, it did get better as I got along. The last half was better than the first (although less productive - go figure).

Is life like that? Or is the bar raised higher as some thing become easier? Am I doomed to constantly seek what is hardest for me in a particular time of life? Is that not doom but just a way to keep myself from getting bored?

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's all about the little triumphs and recognizing when you are about to enter or have left some phase, some mood, some whatever and so can moderate it a bit and maybe come out of it faster.

I don't know that the bar gets raised higher. It's just that your understanding of what it really is becomes more refined (hopefully).

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

quote:

quote:

I just got the elderberry body spray at Hot Topic. Glad you noticed!
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
About the middle... I like the Chestertonian take on it (there's a surprise) that the mean is not to be found by walking the middle road, but by being both extremes in their approriate places

quote:
"Nether swagger nor grovel" was a limitation, but "here you can swagger and her you can grovel"-- that was an emancipation.
Doesn't really cover it, but gives a bit of the idea. he goes on to say that Joan of Arc, as an example, outdid both Nietsche and Tolstoy at their own contrary ideas.

or, as Roger McGwinn (or maybe someone before him [Wink] ) once said "To everything there is a season"

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

quote:
*laugh* Says the woman who moved around the world to marry someone she had met on teh intarweb! [Eek!]

And yes Earandil, mentor is better. It would be the blind leading the blind, though. [Wink]

"I see", said the Blind Man.

Would your name still be rivka? Or something much more mysterious? [Razz]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

quote:

I just got the elderberry body spray at Hot Topic. Glad you noticed!
You shop at Hot Topic? Poseur.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, therefore I am.

I think.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I should have mentioned at the beginning of this thread that I'm making a pledge not to delete any Mayfly threads I make this week.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, CT, that is awful. My experience is there are a lot of labor lawyers who will take your case on contingency. Mostly we are against such people, but not paying a doctor for 6 months seems criminally abusive to me.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Um, right...

Okay, how about, um, non-soap-opera-y?

...and we're approaching our fourth anniversary next Wednesday... And no one's dead yet! [Big Grin] Yay!

I went to a wedding a while ago that gave me all the proof I'll ever need that the soap-opera dramatics some people inflict on one another in college cease being cute by the time those people are in their thirties.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Wow, CT, that is awful. My experience is there are a lot of labor lawyers who will take your case on contingency. Mostly we are against such people, but not paying a doctor for 6 months seems criminally abusive to me.

I agree.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
Would your name still be rivka? Or something much more mysterious? [Razz]

I am perfectly capable of mystery and mystique using my given name.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Didn't you get the memo? We changed your name to "Mysterious Mystery Lady of Mystery", person formerly known as rivka.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is my soap opera. [Smile] It's like Hobbiton. Always something interesting going on.

CT, have you seen the movie Dogville? I really think you'd like it. It was fascinating and disturbing and thought provoking to me. I got really mad and sad, too. I mean, it's horrifying in a way but also it felt very much like a thought experiment. So I don't know. If you've seen it I'd love to hear what you thought.

I just had a thought that in the end we're all of us mayflies. A hundred years, a thousand years, a million years, what is that?

<happily dances for this brief instant>

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Didn't you get the memo? We changed your name to "Mysterious Mystery Lady of Mystery", person formerly known as rivka.

Nope.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get the one where we changed it to "hot mama?"
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.