FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More movies like these

Author Topic: More movies like these
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I finally watched Bridge to Terebithia. It was, as advertised, fairly true to the book, which was nice. I could have done without a lot of the effects, but I was glad to see that they didn't dwarf the human drama. My only real complaint was with the music and montages, which I found patently inane.

So, as is my habit, once we finished watching the movie I started trying to categorize it. What's it like? I came up with a partial list:

Whalerider
Peter Pan (2003, live action)
My Girl
Kiki's Delivery Service
Iron Giant
The Secret of NIMH
Stand by Me

and I wondered if my fellow Jatraqueros would help fill out the list. The criteria, as best I can describe them, are sentimental coming of age stories that involve tragedy and joy. I'll continually amend this list in the original post with suggestions that I like (presuming there are some).

<edit> Oh, some honorable mentions I've thought of; things that almost fit the list, but not quite:

The Sandlot
Old Yeller
East of Eden

</edit>

[ August 10, 2007, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Free Willy?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen enough of those to know if this really fits, but The Secret of Roan Innish comes to mind.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Free Willy, while a great movie, lacks the emotional gravitas I think I'm looking for. I might put it in the same category as The Sandlot, perhaps, as a close but no cigar.

Secret of Roan Innish is good. A little stark, though. I don't get the same "warm sweater" type feeling from it.

Not movies, but other entertainments that belong to the same category for me are The Wonder Years and Dandelion Wine.

Sorry if I'm frustratingly vague. It's one of my faults.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, how about Jack with Robin Williams?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Hand Lions
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Because of Winn-Dixie.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Would Hayao Miyazaki films qualify? Like all of them?

Some other suggestions:

Billy Elliot
The Iron Giant
Au Revoir Les Enfants
(my favourite film in the world)
Inside I'm Dancing (also goes by the name Rory O'Shea Was Here)
Stand By Me
****ing Åmål
Brothers Lionheart
Mean Creek

I'm sure there are others once I think of them... I like films of this genre also.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
What was that they're doing to Amal???
Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The Secret of NIMH sorta fits the bill. It's more a figurative than literal coming of age story. It's also a cartoon.

-Bok

[ August 10, 2007, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by grammargoddess:
What was that they're doing to Amal???

The town is called Amal, and the first word in the title (yes, it's the f-word) isn't a verb; it's an adjective. "Frikkin' Amal", basically.

It's a wonderful coming of age movie about a couple of teenage girls. It's got English subtitles, and it was also marketed as "Show Me Love".

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Now and Then. It's been described as a Stand By Me for girls.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

quote:
It's a wonderful coming of age movie about a couple of teenage girls. It's got English subtitles, and it was also marketed as "Show Me Love".
Whoops. I should've realized there'd be a different international title to that film. They only have rather lame curse words in Swedish language which is why they have to resort to using English ones. They curse in Finnish too because their naughty words just lack the proper punch.

And yeah, it's one of the best coming-of-age films there is. It was very personal to me as well as I was the same age as the main characters when the film came out, and it really struck some notes with me. It was also a big hit around here, it was something we watched in school.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout The Mighty?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Good stuff. My favorite addition so far is The Iron Giant. I'm also adding The Secret of NIMH and Kiki's Delivery Service. I'm debating adding Stand by Me. Several of the others might fit the bill, but I haven't seen them, so instead I'll take them as suggestions for future viewing.
Snail
Member # 9958

How Green Was My Valley might also be a good candidate.

And if you haven't seen Au Revoir Les Enfants I really suggest you do, it seems to me it would fit perfectly amongst the other movies you chose. It's an 1987 French film about Jewish boys being hidden in a Catholic school doing World War II, and a French boy who befriends one of them. (Also, here's some background info on how the film relates to the director's own childhood.)

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

I've often thought of checking out Au Revoir Les Enfants, but I just never do. Sometime I'll do it.

Good call on How Green was my Valley as well. There's just a certain richness to some coming of age films, full of joy and sorrow and wonder.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second "The Mighty." Man did I ever bawl.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Snail:
quote:
Whoops. I should've realized there'd be a different international title to that film. They only have rather lame curse words in Swedish language which is why they have to resort to using English ones. They curse in Finnish too because their naughty words just lack the proper punch.

And yeah, it's one of the best coming-of-age films there is. It was very personal to me as well as I was the same age as the main characters when the film came out, and it really struck some notes with me. It was also a big hit around here, it was something we watched in school.

Do you live in Sweden?
Snail
Member # 9958

In Finland. It was actually quite unusual for a Swedish film to get that popular here, usually we just watch Finnish & American films.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of The Mighty when I saw it, too, but I must confess that afterward I think I said something to my wife like "It's like 'The Mighty' without hope that things will get any better."

I never read the book, the previews (not untypically) were completely misleading, and I didn't know what to expect. The performances are all great, but man... That was *not* what I wanted to see that night.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Stand By Me fits. Stand By Me is a much better movie than Bridge to Terabithia; among other things, it was a far more realistic portrayal of childhood. In addition, the tragic elements weren't tacked on, as they were in Bridge and My Girl to give the story a gravity it was otherwise lacking.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I don't think Stand By Me fits. Stand By Me is a much better movie than Bridge to Terabithia; among other things, it was a far more realistic portrayal of childhood. In addition, the tragic elements weren't tacked on, as they were in Bridge and My Girl to give the story a gravity it was otherwise lacking.

Well, I'd say just because Stand by Me is better, doesn't mean they can't be the same sort of movie. I agree that the "shocking" tragedies in both Bridge and My Girl feel gratuitous, but I also think both movies manage to weave the daily disappointments and joys and fears of early adolescence into the fabric of the film, and that's what my main classifier is.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

The Journey of Natty Gann?
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Hmmm, I'd put The Journey of Natty Gann in a category with Cider House Rules. The friendships have a different quality, the innocence is diminished, although the emotional richness is still there.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
My Life as a Dog
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
Simon Birch?
*I must admit that I haven't seen the newest version of BTT*
But Simon Birch fits the genre being described, wonderful movie.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.