FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Huckabee

Author Topic: Huckabee
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy has been telling clean jokes all of his life, and he is very good at it. I can't imagine I'd agree with any of his policy decisions or political priorities, but in a world where I don't agree with too many people's policy decisions or political priorities, at least he goes down easy.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
For those of us that are foreign and thus cannot keep track of all the various democrat and republican candidates (which is a group that definitely includes me), here is a chart that might be interesting.
chart

Arguably, there are probably errors in the chart and I have no idea if it is biased. Secondly, I imagine some candidate positions are more vague (something which some candidates probably try to encourage). I would find comments on it interesting.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really know anything about Huckabee. Guess I'm going to have to start educating myself!!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting to see how he tries to distinguish himself, apart from his uncontestable Christian credentials. In interviews, he mentions concern for the poor and concern that the Republican party is too tied to corporate intertests - but when you look at that chart, the only thing that jumps out distinguishing in that arena is his support of a minimum wage hike.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is that Huckabee is the only candidate who's a really strong supporter of the FairTax. Which puts him way up there in my book. The problem is, though, that he's a minister, and his views reflect that. Having him in office would probably erode the line between government and religion more than Bush already has.

He seems really likeable, though. I mean, if his positions weren't so kookily to the religious right, he seems like exactly the kind of person I'd like to see in office.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Great chart Mucus. Really makes me want to vote for Gulliani.

Lisa: Huckabee's militancy in is faith is a poison pill to me too. I can't support him. We'll see what happens when both parties have chosen their candidates and we have to decide which wrist to slit.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that chart too vague to be meaningful, or do 4 of the Republican candidates actually support Torture?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Lisa: Huckabee's militancy in is faith is a poison pill to me too. I can't support him. We'll see what happens when both parties have chosen their candidates and we have to decide which wrist to slit.

I'm not sure how I feel about Edwards overall yet, but one of the things that has really impressed me is that he's said several times that while he has a strong personal faith, he doesn't see it as the President's job to impose his beliefs on the nation.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Is that chart too vague to be meaningful, or do 4 of the Republican candidates actually support Torture?

Well, I know on Romney at least that he said he doesn't support torture, just 'enhanced interrogation techniques.' Or... what we do at Gitmo, which in my opinion, is torture.

But on the chart. Why is there no candidate I can fully support? *sigh*

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as a fella who actually voted for this guy once, he's okay. I voted for him for Governor back when I lived in Arkansas, and it was more because he was the better of the options as the Democrat was kind of a crooked fella. I normally vote Democrat, but this was one of the exceptions. He did fine too in the early going, like getting rid of the need to have your car inspected, which was just stupid. But after I moved to Tennessee he fell out of favor for me as his leanings became more pushing beyond what I think government should do (mainly the one you've already mentioned his religion). He's not perfect, as I remember his son was a bad seed, but that can be said of many a minister's sons! Anyway, I would never vote for him for President, but I don't have a total dislike for him like I do some.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Strip: You don't have to get your car inspected anymore?

Ya know, I used to point out the difference in priorities between Arkansas and California with that. Arkansas inspects your car to make sure it's safe and you're not going to kill yourself or someone else. California inspects your car to make sure it doesn't have too much exhaust.

Does it still only cost twenty bucks to register your car?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure Pixie, I haven't lived in Arkansas since 1999 and I that question never comes up with my relatives when I'm over there. When I lasted lived there I think it was $25

But here in Shelby County Tennessee its even a bit weirder. If you live in Memphis city limits you DO have to get your car inspected. (Its crazy too, they have all of 2 places you can get it done, so the lines there are miles long sometimes.) But if you live in the county you DON'T. (We have 2 different governments here, so I guess thats why.) Anyway, you do have to register your car, but its basically getting a tag and paying the taxes. It runs around $75, then ~$100 every year to renew.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the chart I think I support Kucinich and Gravel, but I don't know anything about them. Off to google!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Seriously? You want the biggest Neocon after all this? Supports torture, keeping Guantanamo Bay open, Got warning that the Twin towers were going to collapse before they did and failed to pull out rescue personnel, wants a war in Iran, is Bush's favorite Candidate... Giuliani's company is the only company in the country that is registered to clean up from Anthrax attacks. His business partner in that company is Bernie Kerik, who has mob ties. He was in charge of the cleanup after 9/11 that may eventually kill more people than the event itself due to health complications from the toxic particles in the air.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nato:
quote:

Seriously? You want the biggest Neocon after all this? Supports torture, keeping Guantanamo Bay open, Got warning that the Twin towers were going to collapse before they did and failed to pull out rescue personnel, wants a war in Iran, is Bush's favorite Candidate... Giuliani's company is the only company in the country that is registered to clean up from Anthrax attacks. His business partner in that company is Bernie Kerik, who has mob ties. He was in charge of the cleanup after 9/11 that may eventually kill more people than the event itself due to health complications from the toxic particles in the air.
WOW, why don't you accuse him of hurting the terrorists feelings by cleaning up the mess they spent years preparing for?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He was in charge of the cleanup after 9/11 that may eventually kill more people than the event itself due to health complications from the toxic particles in the air.
:boggled:

How is Giuliani responsible for this?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There is some evidence he (and several in the Bush administration) knew of reports of possible severe future health problems from conditions at the site, and did not communicate the information to those actually working at the site.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little hard to take Christine Toodd Whittman at her word on that one. The political appointees at the EPA and people at the White House quashed reports of the actual potentially serious pollution/health danger at the Two Towers site done by the response team and, seven days afterward, she falsely claimed that the air was safe to breathe.

That's not to say that she might not have recommended to Rudy Guilliani that the workers wear respirators, but it sounds more like her shifting blame from herself and the Bush administration for their inexcusable actions in supressing validly gathered information that the air at the Two Towers site was potentially very dangerous.

Rudy Guilliani did spend an significant amount of time at the Two Towers site unprotected, which suggests to me that he wasn't really apprised of the true potential danger.

[ August 14, 2007, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Nato: thanks for the propaganda preview. I guess we all know what we're going to see if Rudy gets the nomination now.

I'm interested in voting for him because he's for the war and for same sex unions. He's also willing to use force on Iran if need be.

I'd like information on his opinion onshrinking the size of government and cutting taxes. That's my other big issue. But the fact he's against socialized medicine is a huge plus.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually surprised Huckabee isn't more popular. He seems ideologically closer to the party's base than, say, Giuliani.

--j_k

edit: Huckabee, not Huckabeek.

[ August 14, 2007, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Something you might like less, Pixiest, is that he's a strong proponent of McCain-Feingold. He's also attempted to use the courts a few times to prevent speech he doesn't like, such as an ad by New York Magazine that said they were "probably the only good thing in New York that Rudy hasn't taken credit for."
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Fugu: Yeah, that's really disappointing to hear. But that's the problem with politics. You always have to pick the person you disagree with the least.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What's worse George Washington OWNS slaves, and he is a rich white man who is not in touch with the little guys! Keep him out of office!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
George Washington couldn't be elected now, could he? Can't compare the ethics of his era with the ethics of ours.
Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if ya voted for a dead Head, what with Reagan and all.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
":boggled: How is Giuliani responsible for this?

Yeah! If the politician is sufficiently evil, he can't be held responsible for nothin'.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

aspectre: Your search for the perfect candidate who is dirtless will never bear fruit. George Washington is a good example because even in his own time there were those who thought ill of him. A traitorous, wine bibber, who did not attend church faithfully as well as a man who married a woman for her family fortune. A coward who refused to stand and fight, preferring to retreat and put others at risk rather then commit his armies where they might do good.

You don't know that were Washington born now he would not have become a great military leader who would eventually become president in this day and age.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The irony in electing dead presidents is that most of the really good Republicans that present day GOP politicians like to tout would NEVER be elected as present day Republicans. Teddy Roosevelt was a Republican and then independent, but he would have been villified by present day Republicans. I think it's likely Lincoln wouldn't have been elected as a Republican either. And yet they call themselves the party of Lincoln. I especially remember them touting these facts at the 2004 RNC. I spent a lot of time over my vacation these last two weeks listening to old speeches and new speeches, and I finally got down to Barack Obama and Ahnold giving their keynote addresses at the DNC and RNCs in 2004.

Ahnold's struck me as the height of divisiveness. He bashed Democrats and falsely claimed the mantle of progressive Republicans from a time long gone, who no longer represent what the Republicans today do.

Obama was full of hope and energy, to the point where at the end of the speech when he mentioned John Kerry, I was depressed that it wasn't Obama running, and that we were stuck with the other guy. He tried to bring the parties together, and soothe old wounds, and even if it was just fluff, it was inspiring, and it wasn't at all offensive to Republicans.

I think it was those two speeches that sealed for me that I could never vote Republican, not until there are fundamental changes to their party. And I'm not saying that those two people are the penultimate icons of their party, but the fact that they were the ones chosen to speak for their party says a lot to me.

There are Republicans this year that are saying some good things, but I don't trust them. They have to earn that back before I even consider them, or at least produce a candidate that rises so far above them, that he or she can erase all those old feelings.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
I heart Huckabees.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I liked Stephen Colbert's statement that if Huckabee is elected it would be impossible to mention any tragedies in the news that he was involved in without cracking up. He then attempted to mention that victims of some disaster were consoled by the remarks of President Huckabee and he just started snickering.

It's so true, Huckabee were he elected, would have the cutest name of any president in history. Possibly ANY leader.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Quincy?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Quincy?

Well that's a middle name, so it's not like he was KNOWN by that name. But good effort.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Bobblebean Quincy Chompsalot Huckabee III

That's a name I'd vote for, hands down!

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Quincy?

Well that's a middle name, so it's not like he was KNOWN by that name. But good effort.
Actually, he was, though it was pronounced Quinzy. He was a terrible president.

A bit of trivia, what with the whole Keith Ellison nuttiness last year: JQ Adams swore his oath of office on a book of laws, rather than on a Bible.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Quincy?

Actually, he was, though it was pronounced Quinzy. He was a terrible president.

A bit of trivia, what with the whole Keith Ellison nuttiness last year: JQ Adams swore his oath of office on a book of laws, rather than on a Bible.

Maybe that's why he only survived for one term. [Big Grin]
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He was a terrible president.
That's controversial.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I really like about Huckabee is the way he talks about his faith - he sounds like he's taken lessons from Stephen Carter, or at least has thought deeply about it himself. He doesn't see faith as prescriptive, but rather, an orientation - not a set of rules, but a way of thinking about the world and how we work in it. This is deeply true, I think, and Edwards's statement seems really shallow to me in comparison.

Take him easily over Guiliani and Thompson, and probably over Romney.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Romney. But I also like Giuliani because I think he may be the most electable of all the Republicans and is (to me) preferable over any of the Democrats. But I still prefer Romney because I can't see any of the Democrats possibly winning the general election.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the usual slams you hear against Bill Clinton from Republicans, I find it almost comically ironic that Giuliani is the most electable of your candidates.

Besides, Clinton and Giuliani are statistically tied right now for a general election, with Clinton slightly ahead without the +/-. I can see either Clinton or Obama winning the general for very different reasons, but it really depends on which Republican is running. They all have their big flaws.

I think Huckabee is the most folksy and friendly, probably the most likeable of all the Republican candidates. He's the one I want to smack the least when I hear them all talk.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.