FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Starting a Lifelong Dream, and moving far.

Author Topic: I'm Starting a Lifelong Dream, and moving far.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
So next Friday I am moving out of my town to go to college. To Olivet Nazarene University.

Let me just explain something to you guys. I live about 20-30 minutes northeast of Nashville, TN in a pretty typical version of sprawling suburbia. I have lived in the same town my entire life- all of my houses within about 15 minutes of each other.

Next week I am moving to Illinois, to Kankakee county- about an hour or so south of Chicago. I am absurdly happy.

I grew up in the Nazarene Church. 5th generation Nazarene on both sides of my family (which to be fair- the centennial year of the Nazarene church is 2008) My parents went to Trevecca- the Nazarene school in Nashville. I had always assumed that I would go to a Christian school simply well- because I felt like I belonged there and would belong there more than anywhere else.

I have wanted to go Olivet since as long as I can remember. My father's uncle is the registrar and interim vice president of the University up there (only interim since his brother-in-law, my father's pseudo-uncle left his position of VP and Provost to go be a president at another school) Now this great-uncle of mine treated me like I was his own nephew and was always one of my favorite uncles. Not to mention he's been handing me college catalogs since about the time my older brother came into existence. My friends now remember when I'd be in 3rd grade reading the Olivet catalog- especially just the listings of the courses and everything. Must have read it front-to-cover 10 or more so times.

And next week I'm finally going. Going to freeze to death in the winter (course we're in the middle of a bad heat wave right now- its been past 100 degrees most days for the past 2-3 weeks). And I am so excited. I have taken some dual enrollment type courses through my high school so all-in-all I have 33 hours under my belt already. Which helps for my double. I was selected to be in the inaugural Honors program. (One class a semester for 4 semesters taught by 4 different professors each. School then gives money in junior year to do a research project concluding in spring of Senior year) Because of my Honors and hours I believe the only Gen. Ed. class I'm going to have to take is Intro to Fine Arts- which I already wanted to take since that's a subject that I'm interested in and have very little actual knowledge in.

I'm planning on getting a double in Psychology and Pastoral Studies. Maybe do a semester abroad. Doubtful- but I would absolutely love to.

Olivet Nazarene University. We Believe. You Belong Here.

[The Wave]

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww. I'm so happy you're going where you've always wanted to. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome news! And good story, warms my brain hearing you achieved what you've been aiming for as long you have.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds great! I hope it all goes well for you. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
May all your dreams come true, Shawshank!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a Calvinist? Because this seems foreordained.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really awesome, dude. I tend to think that we all have the desire, somewhere inside us, to be what we are meant to be. It takes some of us longer than others to figure it out, or get to the place where we can recognize it.. How exciting for you! [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome, Shawshank.

Reading your post makes me wish for such an adventure in my life now (but I'm too old).

Isn't it so wonderful to see a life goal suddenly right at your fingertips?

[Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*wave* You might be able to come visit the Chicago clump too! Let us know if you head into Chicago.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually BannaOJ that's one thing I've thought about. I don't think there are any near where I live right now- but I figured there must be some in the Chicago area.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats, I'm glad things are falling into place how you wanted them to.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.