FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Problems with work partner

Author Topic: Problems with work partner
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[RANT]

So, I work with alot of getto-fabulous people. One in particular. My partner in security at a retirement center/skilled nursing for a hospital. She just hired on as an extra hand and to help cover shifts when people go on vacation. Well, she's been here 3 months (I've been there 3 years) and she's got a total attitude problem. One, she's racist... that or shall I say assumes racism against her when there is none. She also has a foul mouth.

She is a dominator, if you let her she'll walk all over you. She also makes assumptions ALL THE TIME, 2/3 times they are wrong and 2/3 times they are the worst case scenario. I just can't stand it anymore when she makes nasty blanket statements about any situation. Most of the issue is the gossip. She gossips about EVERYONE and take personal interest in everyone else's job, and will issue judgments on how horrible people are, not knowing the full situation nor what their jobs really entail...spreading the gossip to the bosses and putting people's reputations and even jobs on the line.

Whenever I try and educate her she assumes I'm attacking. Well, I'm sorry sister, but I'm way more educated than you...and it really bothers me to hear all this crap coming out of her mouth.

AND I have WAY more senority and know WAY more than she does about the complex and the proceedures. But whenever I try and get her to do something she tries to pass it off to me or give me a hard time, saying she doesn't know how. I say, well, this will be good practice for you. Then she comes back all nasty with "I've been here three months, I don't need no practice." Whatever.

And then we were working out the schedual, she said she wanted to take time off in August as that would be her third month and vacation time/benefits start. While on the subject I remember to put in for my vacation (which btw started today, thank the gods!). Well she apparently wanted the same time off and assumed I was trying to steal her days from her. Does she tell me?
NO!
She goes around telling all the staff that I'm trying to *&#@ her over AND goes to our boss saying the same thing.

I find out a couple days later when my boss denies me my vacation. I'm totally flabergasted and didn't know what to say at first. Long story short I find out from the gossip train what happened. I'm furious. She comes in that night and I confront her. I tell her I'm sorry if there was any confusion, I was not trying to steal your days, if you have a problem talk to me not to everyone else. I eventually got my other part-time partners to cover for me so I could get my vacation too. I'm not being paid for it, but I don't care, I just want the days off.

The problem is our bosses take rumor as fact. So I feel like I have to walk on egg shells, defending my reputaion or risk my bosses confronting me, like they have several times before. I don't brag, and I don't bitch about people. Do I have to start both just to conteract what this #%!@$ is saying about me?

I don't want to make waves, because the bosses leave our department alone for the most part, giving us the ability to make our own schedual. As long as the shift is covered they don't care.

But I'm getting more and more anxious about it. And this job is NOT THAT HARD. Yes, we have alot of responsibility, but if you do it right it is no big deal. She makes it a big deal all the time. I don't want to sound sexist, but my gods, I don't have any problem with the guys I work with. It's mostly the women who've got attitude problems at work. I don't want to sound racist but she is from the hood (which many of the staff at work are, no big deal, they're cool individuals, but they aren't combative nor arrogant like this gal) and that is a big issue as it forms her thoughts about reality, ie using the race card for a majority of her debates with me.

I need to takle this issue differently, because I don't get paid enough to be stressed at work.
I could ignore her actions and work around her, but that would me letting her boss me around, and I'm NOT having that. I could just ignore her horrible statements about life or people but can't let lies or slander or bigotry done in my presence go unfought. I can avoid her, as I usually do nowadays, but sometimes I would like to man the desk and get off my feet, but she never likes to do rounds and will sit on her butt the whole shift if you let her.

She's acting like she's supervisor or something. She assumes she know everything and will not let anyone tell her different. She knows nothing of politics, history, science, society yet makes crazy statments about the subjects and will harrass you when corrected. Then she calls me a contrary because apparently I disagree with her on everything. I think it's a power play, and it's so infuriating because if anything I'm superior to her in nearly every way (high school, college, well read and all that...the fact that I stay in this sucky job has nothing to do with my education). And she proves it every time she opens her mouth.

There was another instance yesterday. A Priest attached to the hospital was sent over because a patient died at Skilled Nursing. He was a foreigner, from somewhere in Africa, and couldn't speak English very well. He was also in such a rush that he didn't get directions on how to get to the room. I found him on foot in the parking lot while making rounds and gave him directions. Apparently he had talked to another aide elsewhere but got those directions messed up too. Well my partner assumes that he's a freak, up to no good, or trying to break into somewhere and we should put him off the property. That she's "seen enought scary movies to know better not to trust people".

I tell her the obvious that one, he's a Priest, two he's rushing without listening to directions, three he's from Africa and can't understand English well.

She replies with, "oh so because he's black means he's dumb?"

[Wall Bash]

My head nearly exploded.

*sigh*

I hate conflict. Hate it.
I've gotten better over the years with not being a doormat, but still, I hate to bump heads. I could totally destroy her but that would mean a huge fight or getting the bosses involved. It's not been worth it, but it's getting worse.

[RANT/]

[ August 17, 2007, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Document, document, document.

Document it all. And you may want to take this down eventually-- just in case.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've been composing it with the
possibility of showing it to my manager in mind.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy your days off. Sounds like you can really use the break.

Where I'm working (also a long term care facility), I don't have to do all that much to get rid of the people with the bad attitude and poor work ethic. Eventually, they do themselves in by mouthing off to the wrong people.

Good luck.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Tante says, what goes around comes around.

Good luck between now and then though.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.