FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Last minute Packing advice

Author Topic: Last minute Packing advice
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Well I've procrastinated before packing for a long journey. I'll be leaving tuesday morning for Boston to visit my sister and hang out with Launchywiggin (we'll be real!). After that I have a flight to Paris, where I have family, and then on to Amsterdam, Vienna, Grazz, Prague, and back over to Paris, then to London, and Finally to Canterbury england in late september, where I will be studying until Christmas (or boxing day!).

I am bringing my laptop (17 Powerbook) and no books. Two pairs of shoes (running and other) and flip flops. Clothes I have are mostly Rei made- thermals, t-shirts, undies, and running smartwool socks, and thin smartwools. I have several long sleeve artificial fabric shirts, and some regular cotton button ups from Rei as well. I plan on buying a sweatshirt or two when I get to England.

The thing is I am not altogether sure of how cold it will be. I am fairly resistant to cold, but I'm told it's frigid all over England by the winter, and I wonder if I will really need a heavy duty shell jacket, because the weight of the thing is hard to justify given that I'll have to carry it from Boston to Paris, to the chunnel, to London and back the same way.

I already have rain pants and jacket and was thinking of just layering up underneath the jacket when it gets really chilly.

Any other last minute advice in regards to packing for four months? I won't forget my toiletries.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Leave the gun... Take the cannolis."

Actually, it seems like you're pretty well covered. I've never personally done such a long journey solo, so I don't know what further input I can provide.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I did one two years ago that was about 4 months but more countries and more travel. That was all summer though, 6 weeks each in London and Barcelona plus a few weeks of backpacking in between. It was easy because it was hot every day and never rained. I had no computer either.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible to buy a winter coat when you get there, if you need one? Or to mail it to your family in Paris so you can at least avoid carrying it for the beginning of your trip? I did a study abroad this summer, and one of my roommates had stayed in Paris for a week before the trip started. It was early May and the warmest thing she had was a light sweater. She said she would have frozen completely if she hadn't been able to borrow clothes from her aunt.

Keep in mind that England is farther north than most people tend to picture it (thanks to our nice flattened maps).

ETA: I guess my point is that it will be colder in December than it was in May.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
The main thing you will need for England is wet weather gear. It will rain.

You should be fine with layers under a lightweight waterproof jacket if you are OK with cold. It will probably get to below freezing while you are here a few times, but it could also be quite mild.

If you don't have a waterproof, no amount of clothing will be enough to keep you warm!

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamarque
Member # 10825

- posted      Profile for Lamarque   Email Lamarque         Edit/Delete Post 
Having lived in England for a year, as long as you're staying mostly in the Southern parts of the country, you probably won't need a winter coat while you are there. I would highly recommend bringing a toque(or other warm hat) and gloves/mittens. These articles are small and lightweight but do a lot to help you stay warm. With layers and these accessories, I doubt that you'll have too much trouble staying warm.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll only be real if you've met at least one real hatracker each.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
You'll only be real if you've met at least one real hatracker each.

Most Hatrackers don't fit that well inside a suitcase. Also, I thought it took two real Hatrackers to realify a new one?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thing is I am not altogether sure of how cold it will be. I am fairly resistant to cold, but I'm told it's frigid all over England by the winter
It doesn't get tremendously cold; as people said it might go below freezing a couple of times- it will hover between 0-13 degrees centigrade- but will be damp and damp cold is the worst.

I think layering under a raincoat might be okay, but you'll need gloves.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant that they'd already met one each. Wouldn't that do it?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met Orson Scott Card and kacard. Hopefully meeting Lloyd will cement my "real" status.

[Wave]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I think people are vague on deciding if thats real or not.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon!! What do I gotta do? I wanna be a REAL boy! [Cry]
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

if the qualifications for reality involve meeting real hatrackers, then how did the first hatracker: "Hatraquero 0" become real?

Hm???

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, we had a Hatrack Picnic in SoCal in 2000 before any of these newbies were around. There were seven of us and we declared ourselves real. All other realness stems from that. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

That just doesn't seem fair.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.