FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity Collector's Edition DVD on sale tomorrow

Author Topic: Serenity Collector's Edition DVD on sale tomorrow
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to the excellent sales of the original DVD, Universal has produced a 2-disc Collector's Edition with the same features from the first release (deleted scenes, assorted featurettes) over a an hour of new (to the US) stuff and with a brand new commentary from Joss, Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, and Ron Glass.

Also includes:

Extended scenes. An Australian exclusive, now on the CE. You get:
- Extended Fanty & Mingo (2.15 min.) More conversation in the Maidenhead Bar.
- Extended Mal & Irena Wave (2.16 min.) Chattier Wave conversation between Mal and Inara.
- Extended Mal & Operative In Companion Training House (0.49 min.) A few extra lines between Mal and the Operative.
- Extended Mal & Irena Shuttle Improv (0.50 min.) A punchy Mal dissing the Operative during the shuttle chase scene.

“A Filmmaker’s Journey.” How Joss went about making the movie. Includes scenes from the first cast table read. 19 min, 49 sec. Previously available on the R2 (Europe, Northern Asia) and Australian versions.

“Take a Walk on Serenity.” Previously exclusive to the Australian version. Joss, Nathan, Alan, and Adam take us on a special tour of the Serenity ship. Worth it to see Jayne flying the ship.

“The Green Clan.” Previously exclusive to the Australian version. A featurette on cinematographer Jack M. Green and his family/crew. 3 min. 3 sec.

“SciFi Inside: Serenity” The pre-movie SciFi Channel special hosted by Adam Baldwin. Cast interviews, lots of scenes from the movie. 21 min. 41 sec. Never on DVD before.

“Session 416.” The viral videos Joss did with River and released anonymously online before the movie. They will be shown in the out-of-order sequence they were originally released in. Never on DVD before.

The DVD is in brand new foldout Digipak packaging with new art throughout, a great relief to fans who had no clue what the first DVD's cover art was supposed to mean.

And the biggest reason to buy this? Future Serenity endeavors might depend on it. Mentioned in several interviews Joss has given in the last few months, here's one from an interview at Comic Con:

quote:
So give me hope for a Serenity II

JW: Hope for it probably rests with this DVD.

Well I’ll buy one.

JW: Actually I will too, people ask me why I would buy my own DVD and I tell them do you have any idea how awesome it is to buy your own movie?

So then you’re saying we’ve got a chance?

JW: Well it’s probably not being discussed in boardrooms right now, but the fact of the matter is if it makes enough money sooner or later they say “hey, this is money!”

I seriously doubt we'll ever see another theatrical movie, but a made-for-DVD (a la Babylon 5's recent one) isn't out of the question, and personally I'd love to see an animated series with the original cast voices.

On sale tomorrow. Not that I'm hinting, or anything.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....Chris, I love the Firefly universe a great deal. But wouldn't it make more sense to just send Joss Whedon $50 instead of buying the same DVD over and over again?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Um....Chris, I love the Firefly universe a great deal. But wouldn't it make more sense to just send Joss Whedon $50 instead of buying the same DVD over and over again?

I have a feeling Joss wouldn't object to a campaign of this sort.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Who would, really?

I mean, if someone started a campaign for people to send me $50, I sure wouldn't complain.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We have reached the end of my loyalty. No double-dipping for me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm delighted. I didn't buy it before, so this is perfect.

Is there a place to buy it online that includes the comic?

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That just pisses me off. When it came out the first time, we were begged to please buy it so that ... well, I can't remember, but so that something awesome would happen.

I would be better off if I were a less loyal fan. [Grumble]

I guess that will teach me, won't it?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Joss Whedon, but ever since I saw Season 7 of Buffy, I'm a little bitter towards Firefly. Caleb was a boring, pointless character, and I hate that Joss jimmied up the last episodes of his flagship show in order to give NF some work. *scowl*
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Not if your goal is to convince the decision makers to fund future projects, unless you're suggesting that EVERYONE purchasing the DVD just send Joss the money instead.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not bothered by the double-dipping because a) I knew it was a possibility before ever the first one came out. Joss wanted to include a cast commentary but the studio wanted the DVD out before Christmas and there wasn't time in everyone's schedule, so he posted at whedonesque.com early on that he had hopes for a special edition later and made a pre-emptive apology.

And b) because unless you've also ordered the UK and Australian editions, you're getting a lot of content that wasn't on the one we got over here.

Personally, I'm buying it for the commentary.

And yeah, I've asked folks to support the 'verse before and we have yet to see more episodes or movies. But we have seen a lot of licensed Serenity products since then -- statues, action figures, PVC figures, ship ornaments, prop replicas, blueprints, comics, etc -- and to date every one of them has made money. If there is a way to make the franchise profitable and Joss and the cast are still interested (Joss has said he has more stories to tell, and every member of the cast has said at different times that they'd come back if at all possible), something might happen. Sure it's a long shot. So? Browncoats are good at those [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll buy it for the extra features. Serenity has the only commentary track I've ever enjoyed watching (well, that and Firefly), and I'm actually pretty excited for the extended commentary.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I specifically didn't buy the first DVD because I KNEW that something like this would come out afterwards, it's just how it works now. If you want a year or some such, you get the fancy version. It's why I'm considering not buying DVDs until they are all out so I can just buy the big fancy collector's edition with all the bonus discs of features.

On the bright side, I found recently the two discs of MASH special features that were originally only in the special 11 season pack, they are selling them separately now, which gives me hope that they will do the same thing for Stargate in a couple years.

Anyway, this isn't surprising, and I'm not mad. I planned ahead for this, and I'll probably buy the CE of Serenity in a couple weeks when I get the money. This is just what people do now, bilk you for as much money as they possibly can.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably get it in a week or two. I bought the original dvd and will probably donate it to an interested friend. I get bonus features and a potential new fan-buddy. Its a win-win for me.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
No double-dipping for me.

It's not double-dipping if I use the other side of the DVD!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Big Grin]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Got it! The Best Buy copy has a mini-comic bundled with it, a reprint of the first issue of the Serenity comic book mini-series "Those Left Behind."

Just sayin'.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it from Best Buy too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt I'll buy it. I just got a copy of Serenity from my work (hooray for employee discounts) and I still have yet to watch it or Firefly. I need to do both before I even consider buying another copy of Serenity. Hooray for having piles of stuff you want to do but never having enough time to do it all.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
So a trip to Best Buy tomorrow sounds in order.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Just finished listening to the cast commentary. It was worth the purchase.

Nathan: "Oh, we're all on the bridge. I love those scenes, when we're all together. You remember those, don't you, Ron?"

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
It was $19.99 at the local Fry's, pretty cheap. Speaking as someone who bought the first DVD and wasn't planning on getting the collector's edition until I happened to see it in the store, I've gotta say: it's totally worth the money. They're not kidding when they talk about an additional 60 minutes of features (and that's excluding the new cast commentary). There are two new documentary featurettes on the making of the movie, which go into much greater detail and include tons of cast footage, both interviews and behind the scenes (including an expanded version at The Best Outtake Ever... you know which one I'm talkin' about).

Plus, it includes the River Tam Sessions in high-res, which is worth the price of admission all on its own, IMO. Summer is an incredible actress.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I got two of the Best Buy ones with the mini comic, I can't wait to see them!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Adam: Oh, when we took the bus all the way out to that shoot, I remember that.
Nathan: We sang songs.
Adam: What was the Morena one?
Nathan: The "Morena Can't Act, She Gets By On Her Looks, But She's Not That Pretty" song?

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!

Although, after watching her most recent role, I have to agree.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Adam: Oh, when we took the bus all the way out to that shoot, I remember that.
Nathan: We sang songs.
Adam: What was the Morena one?
Nathan: The "Morena Can't Act, She Gets By On Her Looks, But She's Not That Pretty" song?

I think this quote alone made buying the collector's edition worth it. But then we got all that other stuff too!
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
(including an expanded version at The Best Outtake Ever... you know which one I'm talkin' about).

"He's our friend. We should honor him." ?

If it's that one, I might just have to plunk down my twenty bucks.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It's there. The original is in the outtakes, the new behind-the-scenes feature ends with the entire thing including Joss' reaction afterwards.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I clicked on that link, and it said "this plot synopsis is empty".

After watching part of it on TV, I left it that way, because it reflected the "movie" perfectly.

[Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just wait for the Deluxe Collector's Edition to come out.

You know there will be one.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.