FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Cause Worth Fighting For.

Author Topic: A Cause Worth Fighting For.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
A young Man named Miles Levin passed away yesterday. He was, and remains, a revolutionary thinker whose words will transcend the ages. In memory of his gracious and beautiful struggle, his family has set up a fund to be used in the eradication of childhood cancers, and assumedly cancer at large. It would behoove the Company from a moral and marketing standpoint to donate to this fund.

The address for the fund is:

UJF – Miles Alpern Levin Fund
PO Box 2030
Bloomfield Hills, MI

~cmc

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the story on CNN.

Um, I'm not attempting to be flippant, but which company? Or do you mean "the company of people at Hatrack"?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

I sent it out to a few corporations yesterday. I started with BJ's Wholesale Club and then went from there...

The Company is my general.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
cmc,
Do you work for this foundation or have other financial interests in it?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Nope - not at all. I just heard about that kid back in May and followed his story.
cmc
Member # 9549

I'm deleting this in about an hour because I don't feel like getting all the slack I'm getting just for trying to do something nice.

At least I'm warning you that I'm deleting it.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
how bout a link to some more information about this story and the person and the foundation?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
I'm deleting this in about an hour because I don't feel like getting all the slack I'm getting just for trying to do something nice.

At least I'm warning you that I'm deleting it.

Are you kidding?

You post a letter you've written to corporations with no explanation, no explanation of the fund in question, no links to supporting news stories or a foundation website and so receive one question clarifying what you meant by "The Company" (which, given your post's lack of explanation, was pretty confusing) and one unaggressive inquiry for full disclosure, which is a legitimate, appropriate thing to ask for.

And you think people are giving you flack? (I'm assuming that's what you meant when you said "slack.")

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not getting that much argument really.

Give us a link and ignore squicky, there's no reason to delete.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
She's catching a bit more flack on the other side, although that's really more about the double posting than anything else.

Cmc, instead of deleting the threads, why not just post a little more information about this kid? I don't have a problem with this thread being deleted, really, because no one has posted anything substative in it, and I appreciate your warning us that you're going to delete it, but it doesn't really seem necessary. Plus, if this kid's story is noteworthy, better to put it out there where the rest of us can discover it, eh?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
I'm deleting this in about an hour because I don't feel like getting all the slack I'm getting ...

Apparently, the cause is not worth that much of a fight...maybe a mild scuffle.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Please leave one thread, prefferably this one that more people will read. I would even be ok with you deleting it and reposting with rewording. Because the issue isn't what has been posted, but that it is actually a topic I'd like to follow.

And really less than 20 replies is nothing, you could have hundreds telling you you suck.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
you could have hundreds telling you you suck.

Beryerchic04--finding the silver lining on Hatrack since 2004.

[Smile]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to point out, I'm not going to send a check to a some P.O. box someone posted on the internet without much of anything else. Nor, were I responsible for financial decisions at a company, send a check to some P.O. box that someone sent to me in a letter or especially an email.

To put it another way, I think you are using a remarkably poor solicitation technique. Your approach is almost guaranteed to make people think that this is likely a scam.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Its the second day of the semester, the silver lining is kind of important.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I also read some of his story online on news sites, but they didn't post a link to his blog, although they said it is very moving. You have a link to it?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see this thread stay, too, although I don't think the one on the "Discussions about OSC" side needs to.

More importantly, I'd like to know more about why cmc has taken up this cause. It's a fascinating story in its own right, but I'm especially curious as to why it moved you to action, cmc. Did you know him online, or does the topic strike a particular chord in you?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I'd like to know more about why cmc has taken up this cause. It's a fascinating story in its own right, but I'm especially curious as to why it moved you to action, cmc.

Agreed.

By the way, hi cmc! It's been a while!

Strider
Member # 1807

Okay, did some searching:

CNN story - Teen cancer patient's blog celebrates life

A blog entry he wrote for Anderson Cooper's blog - Whatever life we get is bonus

Here's an article written a few days ago after his death.

his blog is on www.carepages.com, but you have to register to be able to view it, so I haven't seen it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

but seriously cmc, if you want companies to donate money to that fund, you should provide some more in depth information in your letter.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I remembered seeing this story on the front of the newspaper (Detroit News). I had conflicting thoughts at the time, and still do. Something about his story is both familiar and distant. I'm a suburban Detroit kid too, but in a very different neighborhood. He lived in Bloomfield Hills and went to Cranbrook, which screams money money money, so it's a bit easier for a kid on the south side of Royal Oak to want to dismiss him, because he had so many more chances in life to begin with than I'll ever have. That might sound callous, but I guess you'd have to grow up in the shadow of a bunch of richer cities and interact with kids from richer schools all the time to get the accumulation of bitterness some of us got, even from our cross town rivals on the north side of town.

But he went to Beaumont Hospital, where I was born, and where two of my cousins work, one as a nurse and the other in administration. I've lost a grandmother and several other family members to cancer, and most recently my mother's best friend died of it as well. There's just something spooky in reading a story about a kid not so much unlike myself from so short a distance away, it helps the story strike home. And in the end he'll never have the thousands of chances at life that I'll have, which makes any of my bitterness sound moot and selfish.

Anyway, it's a great story. I'm curious though, as to where this money specifically would go to. What makes this fund better than Livestrong, or to something like the American Cancer Society? Or will this fund just go to one of those larger funds, or will it be given to some specific child cancer research center?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.