FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prince William County Immigration Plan

Author Topic: Prince William County Immigration Plan
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I totally missed exactly what the county did to stem illegal immigration, but from what I have been hearing, it is supposedly very racist and controversial. I would really appreciate any information on what exactly the law they passed is because I know it has something to do with people who look like Hispanics, and I just happen to look Hispanic so [Embarrassed] . Anyways, I've been searching high and low for information on it, but all the articles I've been finding just state the issues regarding the bill or whatever it was, and they don't even spell out what the actual details of the bill are. I was thinking that maybe Dagonee or someone could help, since they live in the area, but anybody who knows something on this topic and would like to inform me on exactly what is going on can do so.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's officially passed yet. I believe they had 90 days to review and finalize it. Here's a link I found: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289006,00.html

I also read in a local paper that the Hispanic business community is experiencing a 30% drop in sales due to the fact that people are staying in their homes. This has a great number of people scared to go anywhere. I can't help but think that there has to be a better way then scaring the populous but I know around here(PW County) this is a hot button topic. I have no solutions, I am just saddened by the whole situation.

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that part of the measures passed were that every time anyone in the county uses ANY county facility, or even gets stopped for a traffic infraction, they will all be made to varify their citizenship or immigration status.

And that's the soft version. It was paired down from being much stricter.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the link to a .pdf document for Resolution 07-609, passed unanimously by the Prince William County Board of Supervisors July 10, 2007 :
http://www.pwcgov.org/documents/bocs/briefs/2007/0710/res07-609.pdf

It may have been modified at a later meeting. I hope this helps.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm now embarrased to have ever been associated with that county.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What, in a routine stop, would constitute "probable cause" in the assumption that the person is an illegal immigrant? Skin color and accent?

I guess the police department has to work that out, but what standard practices would they be working on?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I addressed this plan in overview in the fence thread.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Sorry, I haven't been hanging around recently. Thanks so much for the response, because I really wanted to know what exactly was going on. I was at the County center this past weekend and while I was over there, there was this huge protest going on. There were like hundreds of people from the county's Hispanic community, and I just wanted to know exactly what was going on. I've already been stopped by a cop and I had to argue with him for a bit because I didn't have any ID on me. (I'm 16)
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No need to apologize. I was just linking the post because it addressed the issue.

Many of these provisions are on shaky legal ground. It will be interesting to see how it all works itself out.

In the meantime, the county officials have created quite a few problems for themselves. Time will tell if any of the benefits they see in these provisions will ever materialize.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Yeah, it seemed to me that the whole situation nearly reached a boiling point this weekend. The protest was huge, and there were like 30 cops just standing around the county center. The whole area was full of tension, and since I didn't know exactly what waas going on, I was pretty worried.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.