FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cell phones -- such stuff as nightmares are made on. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cell phones -- such stuff as nightmares are made on.
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
By George! I think you've got it.
Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a slight derail, but is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the TV commercial with people playing musical chairs with cars?

If it was a Public Safety message, I could see it, but they are trying to make it seem like their cars are fun to drive.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we really need cell-phone specific legislation. We just need to loosen the definition of "careless and reckless driving" to include cell phone use, text messaging, and movies visible from the driver's seat.

Also, I don't see a problem with courts subpoenaing phone company records to see if a call was active. It would only happen after somebody makes a mistake, so the involved parties would have a right to know.

By the way, is there anybody who would be seriously inconvenienced if phone companies simply disabled roaming (perhaps across more than two towers)? I'm pretty sure the telcos would be more than willing to do so if they weren't going to suffer the public criticism.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NotMe:
By the way, is there anybody who would be seriously inconvenienced if phone companies simply disabled roaming (perhaps across more than two towers)? I'm pretty sure the telcos would be more than willing to do so if they weren't going to suffer the public criticism.

I very much want to have roaming available in case of car trouble, etc. It's pretty important, especially for women alone on the road.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
By roaming, I mean not transferring a call from one tower to another. I have never supported the idea that a cell phone should only work in a specific area, or be cheaper in a certain area. (And there are no technical reasons to do so, whereas transferring calls from one tower to another is significantly more complex than having a call go through a single tower.)
Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.