FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This Is England

Author Topic: This Is England
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else here seen this movie? I just saw it and it's now one of my most favorite movies ever. It's the only movie that's ever made me cry. [Embarrassed]

Here is a synopsis from wikipedia:

quote:

The story focuses on young Shaun (Thomas Turgoose), who, following bullying at school, falls in with a bunch of likeable skinheads. The new-found freedom and social acceptance he finds is short-lived, and takes a much darker turn when National Front member Combo returns from jail and reasserts his leadership, which splits the group in two. What follows is an often disturbing view of 1980s England offset by the ramifications of the Falklands War and the rise of white nationalism.

And here's a trailer.

The characters in it are all amazing and 100% realistic. I can't recommend this movie enough.

I hope some of you have seen it because I want to talk about it. [Smile]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last week. Debated about making a post here about it but I was still too upset to really digest the movie.

I thought the acting was amazing. The commitment was there every second and I was completely drawn in. The young boy in the lead role...just WOW. To watch his ascent and descent was incredible.

Some things were abit weird. I found the scenes with "Smell" alittle uncomfortable to watch though she was quite a sweet and funny character.

I don't want to give away the ending because I want more people to go out and see it, but I will say that it was very powerful. I had to close my laptop a couple of times.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"I found the scenes with "Smell" alittle uncomfortable to watch though she was quite a sweet and funny character."

Agreed. But I guess that's just a difference in culture (British skinheads vs Americans). The kid was an amazing actor and he had an incredible role. My favorite actor in the film was the guy who played Milky. He was perfect.

And the ending...oh man...I won't spoil it either, but that one scene at the end (you probably know which one I'm talking about) was so realistic and gave me a rollercoaster of emotions. Even if the rest of the movie sucked, that one scene would've made it a great movie.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing movie. That scene near the end was just perfect in so many ways. Stephen Graham (Combo) gave one of the most powerful performances I've ever seen on film. I will definitely be recommending this one to everyone I know.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Not around here yet, but I saw a trailer of it before Sunshine. It's amazing how you never even hear about some movies unless you hit the small indie theater.

Anyway, it looks..disturbing, but interesting. I plan to see it if I can.

On the outset, it looked a bit, just a bit, like American History X, British style.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"300" has been out of theaters for more than a month and I'm still resisting the temptation to make "THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAAA!" jokes.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you resisting?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds quite similar to American History X but obviously with some significant plot differences. I'm very interested in seeing it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

""300" has been out of theaters for more than a month and I'm still resisting the temptation to make "THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAAA!" jokes."

I thought the same thing, but more like: "Madness?...THIS...IS...ENGLAAAAAAAND!!!" [Big Grin]

This movie is better than American History X, IMO. This one had better characters and was more interesting to me since I never knew too much about skinheads and the different kinds of skinheads.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's high praise, I was blown away when I first saw AHX.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I will put it on Demand

It's about 6 bucks.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I refused to see AHX for over a yezr because of the subject meterial. I figured I would hate it.

Then I saw an interview on Larry King with Ed Nortaon, and I was completely blow away by it. I don't really care much anout celebraties.....I am usually not impressed at all, and couldn't care less about who they are and what they do. But Ed Norton was highly articulate, intelligent, and his interview was one of the more thought provoking interivews I have ever seen.

So I watched the movie....and it was so powerful it blew me away. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

If you say This Is England is similar, that is high praise indeed.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
American History X was one of the most powerful films I've ever seen, so when the comparison was made I had to give this a watch. I don't know if it was better, but the whole thing just felt so real and the acting was incredible, I'll be recommending this to everyone I can find. It's go to know that there are still movies being made that aren't pointless remakes or uncalled for sequels.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
AMX was a good movie, but it was painful to watch and made me scared.

This is England was also good, but it was frustrating. Where was the parental supervision?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.