FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cringe worthy answer to a question, and the state of education in our country (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cringe worthy answer to a question, and the state of education in our country
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
In the recent Miss Teen USA pageant the contestant from South Carolina was asked the following quesion:

recent polls have shown a 1/5th of Americans can't locate the US on a map, why do you think this is?

What followed was 45 seconds of inane babble. Her answer begins with this:

quote:
I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people in our nation out there don't have maps...
and ends with this:

quote:
I believe that the education in the US should help South Africa and the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.
Link

Besides the sad state of intellect among women and girls who compete in these pageants(this can be a whole conversation in and of itself) and what we consider important to being a pageant winner, the statistic itself is also pretty astounding.

1/5th of americans have no idea where america is? I mean, is this willful ignorance? I don't even know who to blame for this. How do you not know where our country is? It's not that hard to find. I can only imagine how ignorant we are of the geographic location of other countries.

Maybe we should start playing Risk in the geography classroom.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's fair to judge the girl based on her performance on this question. She got lost. It happens, especially when people are really nervous.

It seemed to me that she had certain topics that she wanted to hit in her answer and couldn't figure out how to do so with the question asked.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
What polls are these anyways? I know that there are a lot of people who are bad at geography, I have an extremely hard time believing that the problem is that bad.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

i agree that people can freeze up under pressure, and these girls aren't given any time to formulate a response to what I'll admit isn't the kind of question i normally have an answer to sitting at the ready. But really, what does the answer to that question have to do with any countries besides our own?

I mean, how hard would it have been to say something along the lines of, "i don't know, that's an alarming statistic, we probably need to put more emphasis on geography in our education and think of ways to make the information stick in the heads of the children learning it."

regardless, the statistic itself is the scarier part of all this. I just felt the need to post the answer as well, given how awful it was.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said to the half-dozen emails on this subject in the last two days, I've gotten far dumber answers to simpler questions from people in real life.

And it's not as if these beauty pageant answers are ever real deep.

I think the whole thing is way overblown.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
A different perspective [Wink] :
link
quote:
Lauren Caitlin Upton may not have won Miss Teen USA but she may be the smartest adolescent in America.

Hard to believe, what with the 18-year-old's brain-dead moment on You Tube – more than seven million hits, if you count the parodies – as she stumbled in the skill-testing portion of last Friday's pageant.

By the time this has run through its full news, blog and late-night comedy cycle, more people will have seen this clip than have watched all the beauty pageants on U.S. TV in the past year. She'll be a superstar.

What's more, Upton has already entered the inevitable "redemption" phase of the process, with talk show appearances and high-fives from network TV hosts.

Upton inadvertently won by being dumb or, at best, struck dumb.

That's because, if she were smart – but not shrewd – she would have used the platform to pronounce on the sad state of U.S. public education, perhaps even President George W. Bush's No Child Left Behind program.

That would have earned her cheers from some progressives – who would also have trashed her for being in a bimbo contest. But she also would have been Dixie Chicked by the right-wing radio talk show hosts and Fox News types. So, damned if she did, damned if she didn't.

Now, she's just another not-so-dumb blonde waiting to sign the endorsement deals – for Maybelline or even map companies.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I don't think it's fair to judge the girl based on her performance on this question. She got lost. It happens, especially when people are really nervous.

It seemed to me that she had certain topics that she wanted to hit in her answer and couldn't figure out how to do so with the question asked.

^^ What he said.

As for 1/5 Americans (I wonder what age group sample they used.) being unable...etc, that's ridiculous to me. Risk in geography class is a rockin idea.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

seriously, we'd have no problem with geography after that. Though it might lead to a distorted perception of world politics!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the rest of the country's teens are brain dead but our own Miss Colorado sure sounded sharp.

represen'

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

As for 1/5 Americans (I wonder what age group sample they used.) being unable...etc, that's ridiculous to me. Risk in geography class is a rockin idea.

Well, it could be accurate if 1/5 of Americans are 7 and under...
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

it would've been really funny if the contestant had broken into a tirade about the legitimacy of polls and statistics and the methods used to obtain them.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
it would've been really funny if the contestant had broken into a tirade about the legitimacy of polls and statistics and the methods used to obtain them.

She would have gotten my vote. Or if she had contrasted it with how many Chinese people can ONLY identify their own country on a map and have trouble identifying anything else.

Or if she had said, "Well to be honest, since world domination is our aim, it seems kinda pointless to talk about where we are now when one day the world will just be one big country called America."

Seriously though, Miss America pageants should have a comedic test of some sort. Humor is such an integral part of our culture I don't think Miss America should be able to just avoid being intentionally funny in some way. They already have a talent show. "So what's your favorite joke?" [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite parts were her constantly saying "as such" and referring to Americans as "U.S. Americans."

But I give her a break, she was probably extremely nervous. And once she joins with Rand McNally to solve the critical absence of cartographic tools for home use in this country, we'll all be set. [Smile]

Besides, she's very quickly become, or is going to be, famous, and she also happens to be extremely beautiful, so I don't think she'll suffer that much.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Because 1/5th of Americans are babies...
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I think at one point she says "As some", but I swear it sounded like she was starting to say "Osama". Hahaha.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
1/5 of the country sounds about right. When you add up the number of people who

1. drop out of school
2. never went to school
3. are below the poverty line
4. "don't have maps"

1/5 sounds about right. I'm lucky to have grown up in a middle-class white american family. It's easy to understand how a disenfranchised inner-city kid might only understand survival.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad for the poor girl. Can you imagine how she must feel right now?

But still, that was the best she could come up with?? I have a feeling that her coaches hammered into her that she should say something about helping other countries and making a better future, regardless of what the question actually asked. Being under so much pressure, she obviously wasn't able to improvise very well, and could only go with what she had practiced. That's my take on it anyway.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The 1 in 5 statistic is completely bogus. According to a recent study by National Geographic, 94 percent of Americans can find the US on a map (go to page 26).

And people can talk about how her mangled answer was just a matter of being put on the spot in front of all those cameras and whatnot, it seems pretty clear to me that she's pretty inarticulate to begin with. She slurred a lot of her words, and she generates some strange constructions, like "US Americans," "the Iraq," and "like such as." The last one is especially strange. It's a jarring pleonasm I've never heard before, and she seems to stick it in where it makes absolutely no sense.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Hannity wanted her to say it's because the teachers' unions aren't allowing school districts to do what's necessary to teach kids.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I really wasn't surprised to learn that some of the contestants in a teen beauty pageant aren't fantastic public speakers.

Not surprisingly, they all have way above average looks.

I wonder if there's some selection bias involved.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with this. She clearly simply messed up. Her answer wasn't one of idiocy but just being really nervous, misunderstanding what she heard... etc.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she meant to say "us Americans"? [Smile]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I could easily picture the construction 'like such as' developing in high schools across the country, where it would basically always replace 'as in'. Not that it's not grindingly awkward, though.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite comment so far has been from Peter David:
quote:
And it WAS a tough question, because in thirty seconds she had to try and come up with an answer that was fundamentally upbeat and positive because, hey, that's what beauty pagents are all about. If someone asked me that question and I had to come up with an off-the-cuff response, it would be this...

"One fifth? I'm surprised it's that low. On the quiz show "Power of Ten" it was recently revealed that twenty-five percent of surveyed Americans believed that the inventor of the diesel engine was Vin Diesel. The fact is that obesity is not the number one health problem in this country, it's stupidity. A lot of Americans are stupid. Bone dry stupid. Stupid as a box of rocks. They were born stupid, they were stupid in school, and they became stupid grown-ups. And there's enough of them out there to have a considerable impact on this country, because morons are running for high office and morons are voting for them and putting them in there. Americans are oblivious to the rest of the world, and if that were not the case, then maybe our leaders might have listened when the rest of the world said, 'Stay the hell out of Iraq, you morons.' Many Americans have a fundamental arrogance that stems from a basic lack of intellectual curiosity. They don't read. They don't learn. They don't think. They tune out with television or computer games or Ipods and obsess about what Lindsay or Britney or whatever other troubled pop tart is up to rather than caring about things that really matter.

Our educational system needs to be overhauled beyond the test-centric mandates of No Child Left Behind. If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and he will feed himself for ever. Students need to be taught HOW to think, not WHAT to think. More money needs to be spent on programs for kids who are already gifted so that those gifts can be fully realized and brought to fruition. We need to remember that the arts enrich a civilization; that science and scientific thinking is not the enemy; that it is more important to care for poor people over here than blow up poor people in other countries.

The fact that one fifth of Americans can't find the country on the map pales beside the likelihood that one fifth of Americans probably couldn't find their own asses with both hands and a flashlight. And that stupidity is going to continue to be a hallmark of our country until we work together to remedy the situation from the top down."

Not an easy thing to sound upbeat about in thirty seconds, is it.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I could easily picture the construction 'like such as' developing in high schools across the country, where it would basically always replace 'as in'. Not that it's not grindingly awkward, though.

Totally unrelated to this thread, but you know what really irritates me? When I say "Have a good day" to someone and they respond "You also."

You ALSO?! How can you say that without feeling like a complete doofus?! It doesn't even roll comfortably off the tongue. Honestly...You ALSO?!

[/rant]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, that was awesome. Not only was it from one of my favorite writers, it put into words my objection to the clip. The poor woman was clearly trying NOT to say "Because they're idiots, obviously!"
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
To nitpick, Jon Boy, the (albeit completely pulled out of thin air) statistic isn't technically refuted by the National Geographic survey which only polled young Americans age 18-24, not all Americans, like the original 1/5th claim.

I haven't been able to find the polls to support the 1/5 claim, yet though.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I blame this on two things -

First the deplorable state of education, I blame on Multiple-Choice Questions. No need to think or understand, just pick A, B, C, or D. Even if you don't know the answer you've got a 25% chance of getting it right.

Now multiple choice questions have always existed, they do have a valid place in testing, but now days school tests are dominated by them. Even in classes that would have previously never considered using them.

As to the answer of this specific contestant, I think to some extent they all have stock answers like - I want to bring peace to the world, feed the hungry, and give every one a fluffy bunny. Usually the 'stock' answers contain the words 'America', 'Children', and 'Africa'.

Under pressure of the contest, contestants sit down and calculate their answers in advance even if they don't know the questions. When they are stumped by a question, it's always safe to fall back on the key concepts, phrases, and words. I think she managed to squeeze them all in.

Plus, what could she really say that wouldn't make her look bad. 'Well, Americans are idiot'? 'We've got the worst education system in the world'? 'It's because of Bush's All Children Left Behind policies'? It was a tough question, one for which an honest answer would likely have alienated her audience. Consequently she gave a nondescript answer filled with keywords and key concepts that every contestant tries to work into their responses.

All in all, I'm not at all surprised.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought my grade school education was all right. Fewer sexual advances between young couples in the hall would've been nice, but that's another thread.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
She kind of sidestepped the question.

With a little more polish, she has a promising future in politics.

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I don't think it's really fair to expect a good answer from an 18 year old on stage when the entire country's education system can't come up with one.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think most people understand how deeply evil that question was.

Upton competing to see who could appeal most broadly to an American audience, as judged by some cabal. In front of national television and a large audience, she was basically asked, "Americans are kind of dumb. Why do you think this is?" Sure, they dressed up the question by referring to some poll that I haven't been able to find. Even newspaper articles haven't referenced this poll. Editorials have been talking about "the fact that 1/5 of Americans can't locate the US" as though it actually IS a fact just because Aimee Teegarden used the phrase "recent polls have shown." If we don't expect trained journalists to think to check this stuff, why should we expect a teenager to do it on the fly?

Here was Upton's dilemma: she was obliged to answer the question, but in doing so, she would be implicitly agreeing that Americans are dumb. Maybe she even thought to question the statistic, but that might have seemed a bit too much like calling the pageant organizers liars.

Instead, she watched herself babble inanities for 30 seconds, and she must have known how bad it sounded. There were bright lights, TV cameras, official judges, a studio audience, AND Mario Lopez's gorgeous ass, all blinding her. They asked her a question, which, besides containing false information, was one mother of a damned-if-you-do. And then, like 18-year-olds (and the rest of us) do occasionally, she babbled. God, what an idiot.

[/rant]

On that note, the Senate Subcommittee on Foreign Relations has just subpoenaed you. Apparently they have some questions regarding whether or not you still beat your wife/children/dog.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
As to the answer of this specific contestant, I think to some extent they all have stock answers like - I want to bring peace to the world, feed the hungry, and give every one a fluffy bunny.

I personally think giving everyone a fluffy bunny would be a great start in feeding the hungry. [Evil]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Tonight! On the Colbert Report.

"I give this country's education system an A, which s good because thats the only letter young Americans know"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
To nitpick, Jon Boy, the (albeit completely pulled out of thin air) statistic isn't technically refuted by the National Geographic survey which only polled young Americans age 18-24, not all Americans, like the original 1/5th claim.

I haven't been able to find the polls to support the 1/5 claim, yet though.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed. The "one in five" claim still reeks of bogosity, of course.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Juxtapose> Excellent point. When you think about it, she actually jumped on the grenade of stupidity to save the country. When posed the question "Are about half of Americans stupid" (whatever, I don't know fractions) she loudly proclaimed, "No, just me!"

What a patriot. [Cry] :smileywavingamericanflag:

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The poor woman was clearly trying NOT to say "Because they're idiots, obviously!"

Really? I thought the only thing that was clear about her answer was that she had no idea what she was saying.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Bless her heart, it was an absolutely terrible question. Besides being wrong, it's a lame, contrived question with no polite answer.

"Americans are stupid. Explain why."

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Miami, Florida. Most people might here don't know where America is, even though they can see it from here.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I think you guys are being way too generous. Sure, it was an unfair question. Most people would not have had an idea of what to say to a question like that without any time to think. She was young, and in front of tons of people and cameras and all that. I understand. But seriously, I think Jon Boy has it right:

quote:
I thought the only thing that was clear about her answer was that she had no idea what she was saying.
I don't think it's too hard to see the difference between what she said, and what any semi-intelligent person would have said in the same situation, regardless of the difficulty or unfairness of the question.

[ August 31, 2007, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Juxtapose> Excellent point.

Agreed. Juxtapose is greater than the excellent point he just made. Shame on anyone who thinks otherwise.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that statistic. Even dumb people get the Weather Channel.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be beyond dumb then, because I don't.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Who watches the weather channel?!!1!1
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who watches the weather channel?!!1!1
*raises hand*

Granted, only when there's hurricanes threatening, but I do watch it if there are significant weather events happening.

Still the point does hold, one can assume that most people have seen their local news channels and seen weather systems moving across maps of the US - I do find it pretty incredible that 1/5 of Americans wouldn't find the US on a world map.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

Mark Twain (or somebody) said, “There are lies; damn lies, and statistics.“

And George Carlin said, “Think about how stupid the average person is; now realize half of them are dumber than that.”

And the guy who invented Despair, Inc. said, “None of us is as dumb as all of us.”

I’m not sure why I thought of these quotes, but there they are for what they may be worth. [Wink]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

Oops, on further reflection I can see how that third quote can be taken wrong. So I meant it the other way. I didn’t mean it as any reflection on the folks posting on this thread. What I meant was that when the producers and sponsors of these pageants get together to plan these things they ought to have the following poster prominently displayed for all to see:

http://despair.com/meetings.html

“Meetings: None of us are as dumb as all of us.”

The Mark Twain quote speaks for itself.

I’m still trying to figure out what George Carlin said. [Dont Know]

[ September 01, 2007, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Samuel Bush ]

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think george carlin meant median not average.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Strider:
I don't think it's too hard to see the difference between what she said, and what any semi-intelligent person would have said in the same situation, regardless of the difficulty or unfairness of the question.

I think you're drastically underestimating exactly how much stress that situation could put someone under.

It took me months of preparation to get to the point where I could deliver a passable impromptu speech in front of three people. And that was with one minute of prep time before delivery. Now scale up that equation several orders of magnitude. As opposed to, say, scaling it down several orders to get to the point where someone can write up a semi-witty quip on an anonymous forum with all the time in the world.

EDIT - I should add that I wasn't pointing at Strider, or anyone in particular, with that last sentence.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.