FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The little folder icons to the left of the thread titles.

Author Topic: The little folder icons to the left of the thread titles.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
What are they for? At least, I think they are supposed to be folders. Why are some of them yellow and some of them white? Mouseover says "new" on the yellow ones and "old" on the white ones. Let's see, it's 12:34 pm as I begin typing this and the last yellow folder had a last post at 8:04 and the first white one had its most recent post at 7:48. So is a "new" folder one with a most recent post within four hours and 34 minutes, as opposed to four hours and 50 minutes? (or whatever, I'm crappy at math and I know I just did that wrong.)

Yes, I do need to get back to work.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Or -- Aha! Are there always 20 yellow folders? What is the purpose of this phenomenon?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow indicates new posts since your last visit to Hatrack.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
They are new since the last time you visited the forum.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Threads with new posts have a yellow folder. Threads without a new post have a white one.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Jinx!
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Whoa. Talk about a simulpost.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No wonder it took so long for the post to go through!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all're having a slow Friday, huh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Not anymore! This thread has made my day at least two or three times more exciting.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
So still 0, right?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks, everyone. OK, so what does "my last visit" mean?

I just closed out the site, came back, and there are still a gazillion yellow folders. (I'm now checking from a different computer than I did earlier when there were just 20.)

Do I have to shut down the computer for it to be a new visit? Log out of the site and log back in?

And yeah, I know that this matters not at all in the greater scheme of things. Just decided that it is time to solve the mystery!

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
Yellow indicates new posts since your last visit to Hatrack.

They're pretty inacurate, though. I'll often have folders marked as "new" when I've been to the forum 5 or six times since the last time the thread in question was updated.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Or, what Noemon said.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are not folders, they are in fact pots with baby heads protruding out the top.

Any other theories?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Thanks, everyone. OK, so what does "my last visit" mean?

I just closed out the site, came back, and there are still a gazillion yellow folders. (I'm now checking from a different computer than I did earlier when there were just 20.)

Do I have to shut down the computer for it to be a new visit? Log out of the site and log back in?

And yeah, I know that this matters not at all in the greater scheme of things. Just decided that it is time to solve the mystery!

With IE, at least, it's related to browser session. If I leave IE running in the background and bounce around, the cookie that determines my last visit won't have reset. I haven't paid enough attention with Firefox to have figured out how it handles last visit yet.

Since I visit from two different computers, though, I've gotten used to looking at post times instead of using the "jump to new posts" option within a thread.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that they're tiny yellow submarines with the periscope blown off.

All you need is love, and a week in dry dock.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
When I come into Hatrack, the yellow folders are the ones that have new posts since the last time I was here. So long as I have a browser window open to Hatrack (either side), this won't update, but as soon as I'm out of Hatrack altogether, the next time I go back in, the yellow folders tell me what's new so that I don't waste time looking at topics where nothing new has been added.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it indicates new ones since the browser was shut down completely. This is usually shutting down my computer, but if I crash Firefox, the effect is often the same.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
For me, it indicates new ones since the browser was shut down completely. This is usually shutting down my computer, but if I crash Firefox, the effect is often the same.

Bingo.

Although when I have read everything (or everything I care to) I frequently reset them to mark my place.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.