FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » THIS is science?

Author Topic: THIS is science?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you serious? I'm watching an hour long documentary on super-massive black-holes and the background music is the score from Vertigo. The narrator sounds like he's reading a poorly written suspense novel. There's flash cinematography and dramatic sound effects for galactic computer animations.

Is this supposed to be science? Do we really have to sell this with "how can this destroy your life" style journalism? Have we sunk this low? Can we do science without having to pretend we're part of a Hollywood summer blockbuster?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Seriously, the narrator just told us that, "more disturbingly, this suggests that there could be a super-massive black-hole at the center of our galaxy."

Whatever happened to Bill Nye the science guy?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have no idea what specific work you are referencing but it is fairly easy to guess that what you are watching is probably categorized as 'entertainment.'

Science is not determined by the content of whiz-bang television documentaries so it is pretty safe to say that it is not science so much as it is a commercial product designed to profitably entertain using very simplified notions of complex subjects.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

My comment's not so much about science itself, as about how it apparently has to be presented to the public. Now, see, this is science, but it's kind of hard to understand...

Hobbes [Smile]

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Seriously, the narrator just told us that, "more disturbingly, this suggests that there could be a super-massive black-hole at the center of our galaxy."

OMG! We need to send an action team including Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Vin Diesel to destroy it!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no! The Core 2 starring Hilary Swank. For once, the sequel couldn't be worse that the original.

Did they show this video? It's pretty convincing evidence of a massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way. Stars don't normally whip around like that.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We need to send an action team including Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Vin Diesel to destroy it!
I think sending them to the center of the galaxy is a good start.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

To be honest, I couldn't make it all the way through. I moved on to the other video I linked above before it was over.

Hobbes [Smile]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I am watching the first video and I can barely understand 1/10th of it [Frown]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody except for science people would watch if it didn't have a bit of drama and special effects.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I could understand this easily, if I knew the specific math, that is, the symbols and what they represent, precisely. Though it's a bit of an impediment, it's still interesting.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is this supposed to be science? Do we really have to sell this with "how can this destroy your life" style journalism? Have we sunk this low? Can we do science without having to pretend we're part of a Hollywood summer blockbuster?

Hobbes [Smile]

It isn't just "Hollywood", Hobbes. Didn't you know that the entire apparatus of all the media now has as its be-all and end-all a mission to convince us that everything is dangerous, everything is a threat?

Honestly, I don't think a day goes by on local news around here where there isn't the "danger of the day" story, told (I almost wrote "reported", but I don't consider it reporting) in the most alarmist, emotionally loaded language possible.

My favorite of the genre comes from the period of the SARS scare. On one of the local stations, the newsreader did a story about SARS from outside the emergency-room doors of a hospital and ended the report with this (probably not an exact quote, but close enough and the "just a matter of time" is a direct quote): [Holding up a surgical mask] "And it is just a matter of time until we will all be required to wear one of these."

Now, how alarmist is that?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Whatever happened to Bill Nye the science guy?

I miss him too. I can't tell you how many times in school my 8th grade science teacher would come in saying she had too many papers to grade the previous night, and that we would be watching Bill Nye that day.

We all said we hated it, but I look back with fondness.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I know what happened to him.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He still re-runs on one of our (three) local PBS channels. I like Bill Nye. [Smile]

(One of my favorite NCIS dialogue exchanges ever:

Abby: "...you know, like Bill Nye, the Science Guy?"
Gibbs: "Who?"
Abby: "Does experiments with household products, teaches science to kids?"
Gibbs: "Oh, like Mr. Wizard."
Abby: "Who?"

*giggles*)

(Also, he guest-starred on Numb3rs a few times.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes: it's not just science shows. I sometimes find myself commenting (loudly) to the TV over history shows I disagree with. (Mary Magdalene was an apostle? I don't think so!)

And last night I watched Prehistoric Park on Animal Planet for the first time. Nigel Marven stars in this one and the show is about him going back in time to bring extinct animals to our time. To my mind he is now less of a wildlife expert/presenter and more of an actor. (Maybe that's all he ever was, but before I trusted him to give me facts about animals; now it's scientific speculation about extinct animals.)

There have also been shows about what life might be like on other planets or in the distant future on Earth. But the narrators don't talk like it's speculation - they state things as facts. That bothers me.

I can't remember the show I've seen recently that was along those lines. It was kind of all speculation about some historical event, and seemed sloppy to me. I think there was one that was basing some science or historical "fact" on an urban legend or something. I wish I had written it down - I really am wracking my brains and just can't remember.

"Digging for the Truth" seemed like that to me. The host was always finding one supposed fact and then jumping to the next place in a row. (Let's find King Solomon's mines!)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
quote:

OMG! We need to send an action team including Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Vin Diesel to destroy it!
"That's it! I am tired of this mother fricken super-massive black-hole, in the center of my mother fricken galaxy!" - Samuel L. Jackson
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"We got holes in the frickin' galaxy!" [Laugh]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
What your griping about isn't science, but science journalism. Rather large difference that.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.