FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Haruki Murakami

Author Topic: Haruki Murakami
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Kafka on the Shore at my father's request at the beginning of the summer, and was completely taken up by the story. It was unlike anything I'd read before, with characters so strange, yet human; an old man who spoke to cats, a villain who takes the souls of cats in order to make a flute. And yet all these character's behaviors are so familiar. It's strange to say the least.

Since then, I've read The Wind Up Bird Chronicles and saw the play After the Quake at UCSD, which is based on a synthesis of Murakami's works. I'm currently reading Norwegian Wood, and I'm noticing the similarities between this story and the play.

Anyone else read his stuff? I'd recommend it.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but it sounds like something I'd like a lot. [Smile] <makes note>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is the best book I've read since Lord of the Rings. Astonishingly beautiful, especially a lot of the scenes involving the war in China.

Kafka on the Shore was a bit of a repeat after Wind-Up Bird, and so lost a little in my estimation. Still a fantastic book, though.

Norwegian Wood was a truly pleasant read.

Murakami's books are always so strikingly sensual. His people are always eating, drinking, listening to music and making love.

He's my favourite author.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read his new book, After Dark? I saw that it came out in May, but I haven't picked it up as I want to read Norwegian Wood and A Wild Sheep Chase first.

[ September 03, 2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, there's no way I'm paying full hardcover price for a novella.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read some of his short stories (in The Elephant Vanishes), and I liked some of them a lot.

One of my friends has almost all of his books, so I can borrow almost any of them. Does anybody have a recommendation on which novel to start with?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Norweigan Wood was his "break through" novel and firt critical success. I'm just reading it now, however, so I don't think there's one you absolutely need to start with.

[ September 03, 2007, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: JumboWumbo ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought Wild Sheep Chase, Dance, Dance, Dance, and After the Quake last week. Can't wait to get to them.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Finished A Wild Sheep Chase earlier this evening. It ended, at least for me, on something of a confusing note. I mulled it over over a bowl of leftover chicken stew, but things are still not falling into place for me 100%. Has anyone else read this one? Perhaps I should start a new thread about it.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World for my manga/anime class. It was an interesting read. I'd like to check out some of Murakami's other books, but I just don't have time (and I've got a massive stack of reading material as it is).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I read them, but Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is probably his most weird book and also one of his best.

According to the list on Murakami's wiki page I've read all but the first two (well, one wasn't translated in English anyway) and the last three (same thing, the very last isn't translated yet). I haven't been impressed by his short stories that much, maybe because I read most novels before them and some stories are clearly the grains that started those more elaborate novels. after the dark seemed a little dry after all the other more fantastic stories. Underground on the other hand, though a documentary, is very powerful and I definitely include it between his best works.

Frankly, A Wild Sheep Chase and its continuation Dance, Dance, Dance are in my opinion simply good but nothing special. They are a bit confusing in places indeed, and unlike with others the confusion doesn't always seem to be a deliberate decision of the author... I hope I'm not confusing anyone with this. [Smile]

So, except for those I haven't read, of course, I'd recommend:
-Norwegian Wood
-The Wind-up Bird Chronicles
-Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World (in this order)
plus Underground.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.