FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yet another Lynn Johnston post...this time a sad one.

Author Topic: Yet another Lynn Johnston post...this time a sad one.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Suddenly, a lot of things about the past few years of her strip make more sense.

When I was in my teens, my parents separated then later divorced. It was a terrible experience for everyone involved. I can only imagine how painful it must be for someone who put a fictionalized version of their marriage out in the public view for decades to have the RL counterpart come to a messy end.

Still, it explains quite a bit about the direction of the strip in recent years. The obsession with childhood loves, evil-ex-spouses, the increase in glurge...

Very sad. [Frown]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that earlier today and had the same thought ("Ah, I wonder if that's where all that stuff came from."). It is very sad, especially when (according to that article) she was going to be cutting back on the strip to spend time with him in retirement.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you get to be that age and then "meet someone else"? I don't get it.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
It is very sad, especially when (according to that article) she was going to be cutting back on the strip to spend time with him in retirement.

Definitely. [Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It is sad. The thing that's confusing me is that I could *swear* that I'd read biogaphic information on her that talked about the real-life inspiration for Jon having left her decades ago.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, according to one of the bios in her collections, her current husband is her second husband.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Rod Johnston was always the primary model for fictional John Patterson, but he is her second husband.

Or was. [Frown]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
What? Did he suddenly become her 3rd husband?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

He's becoming her second ex-husband.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
(Along the same lines, I remember being so disgusted with Dave Barry when he dumped his second wife for a big-breasted sportcaster he met over the Internet that it became pretty much impossible for me to read his columns. Since this coincided with his sudden inability to write funny columns, it was a win-win situation.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It explained that weird, pro-adultery story he slipped into his book of internet humor.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:

Yes, because everyone knows once you get to be over 30 or so you lose all desire and attraction and never leave your house again. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
quote:

Yes, because everyone knows once you get to be over 30 or so you lose all desire and attraction and never leave your house again. [Roll Eyes]
No, because the idea of being married and committed to someone is that you stay with them forever and take care of them in old age. Not wait until you retire and trade the other spouse in for a younger model.

Way to miss the point.

I just don't get how you committ to someone and promise to be with them for life, and promptly dump that person and leave them behind.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I just don't get how you committ to someone and promise to be with them for life, and promptly dump that person and leave them behind.

How is this is more surprising that someone who had done the same thing at age 35 instead of age 65? (I'm not bothering to look the Johnstons' actual ages.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is the amount of time they were together. If people have been together for 20 years, you assume that committment meant enough for them to stick it through some rough times. Also, old people are supposed to be wiser and less impulsive, more experienced than the young (I know that isn't actually true, but it is a perception).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
How is this is more surprising that someone who had done the same thing at age 35 instead of age 65? (I'm not bothering to look the Johnstons' actual ages.)

Perhaps the assumption that older people have been married longer (which may or may not be the case since this is a second marriage)?

quote:
Statistics Canada indicates that the highest rate of divorces per 1,000 population occurs at year 5 of marriage with over 3.5 divorces per 1,000 population. This rate swiftly diminishes each year thereafter, so that, by age 60, divorce is relatively rare. It is therefore not surprising that people in their late twenties are the most susceptible to divorce (Gentleman and Park, 1997). For instance, between 1990 and 1992, the rate of divorce per 1,000 married women was 2.2; but it was only 1.1 for women aged 45-49, and 0.65 for women 75-87 (versus 0.85 among older men).
http://www.cfc-efc.ca/docs/vanif/00005_en.htm
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

1) Those statistics are for first marriages.

2) As your link indicated, the statistics for Americans have some marked differences. (I realize the couple in question is Canadian, but stihl, maui babe, and I are not, and are presumably reacting on some level to the statistics we are surrounded by.)

3) At least in the US, while the rate of divorce does tend to decrease with marital longevity, there is a sharp spike at about retirement age (which also roughly corresponds to the couple becoming empty-nesters).

Sustaining a marriage (especially a GOOD marriage) is hard work at any age.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Perhaps the assumption that older people have been married longer (which may or may not be the case since this is a second marriage)?

Lynn and Rod were married for almost three decades.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Time married doesn't mean much necessarily. My parents were married for over 25 years before they finally divorced. Heh, now they can barely keep from ripping each other's throats out. Makes life at home a real joy sometimes, but so it goes.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
(Along the same lines, I remember being so disgusted with Dave Barry when he dumped his second wife for a big-breasted sportcaster he met over the Internet that it became pretty much impossible for me to read his columns. Since this coincided with his sudden inability to write funny columns, it was a win-win situation.)

I wondered what happened to his writing. [Frown]

quote:
Time married doesn't mean much necessarily. My parents were married for over 25 years before they finally divorced. Heh, now they can barely keep from ripping each other's throats out. Makes life at home a real joy sometimes, but so it goes.
I think (and this is just an opinion) that that demonstrates more the principle of that which we have loved so much becomes that much more repulsive when it hurts us.

[ September 11, 2007, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not uncommon for people who would like to divorce to stay together until their kids are grown. Sometimes that means they talk about it and agree to do so, sometimes it means that the spouse who wants out doesn't say anything until the youngest graduates from high school and then it takes the other spouse by surprise. I think that contributes strongly to rivka's point about a spike in the divorce rates around retirement age.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
It is not uncommon for people who would like to divorce to stay together until their kids are grown. Sometimes that means they talk about it and agree to do so, sometimes it means that the spouse who wants out doesn't say anything until the youngest graduates from high school and then it takes the other spouse by surprise. I think that contributes strongly to rivka's point about a spike in the divorce rates around retirement age.

This makes ALOT of sense.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.