FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Remember Guess the Author?

Author Topic: Remember Guess the Author?
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I remembered the "Guess the Author" game and thought it would be fun to play again, it has been some time since it was played last.

I think we should attempt to play it again, what do you guys think? Same rules as before? Here are the links from the previous rounds:
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
I would be willing to conduct the games. [Smile] Any takers?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game. Gimme a little time to come up with a submission.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll guess. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess rivka
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting a head start, Kama? [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I ar game.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
-10 Kama.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
The author is obviously an uncreative procrastinator.

I guess me.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

We can start with 4 people, since anybody can guess and 4 is a large enough pool to guess from, 5 including myself. [Smile]

Let's use T_Smith's original rules:
quote:
Ok, here's how it goes. I post a story/excerpt someone sent me. You try and guess who it is from the list I provided. I won't tell you how many people sent in submissions. This is how you score points:

4 points for a critique and a guess
2 points for a guess and a rationale
2 more points if your guess with a critique/rational is correct
1 point for critiquing yourself
-10 points for a guess without rationale or critique

Once you have a critique down, you get points for it. If you make a rational guess, but are incorrect you have to do a rational again, or at least say "for same reasons I stated before". You do not get points for a critique or rational for saying "what he said". You have to at least say what that person said in your own words for credit.

You can critique your own work for one point, but you can not give away you are the author. If you want, you can try to be sneaky and guess other people, with a rational, but you won't get points for it.

You guys can submit your writings to my email address, it's listed on my Hatrack profile. I'll post one for guessing once I have a large enough pool of writers. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in. I'll dig up some kind of submission.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like fun. [Smile]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Guess not... [Frown]
Oh well, I was just bored when posted this.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm writing something just for this, rather than dredging something up from my past writings. I'll send something your way by the end of the week, and I suspect others will as well.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting ready for big holidays. I'll have something for you by next week.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Emailed!
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:

On about the 7th ring, Lindy picked it up.

“Lindy.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m stuck.”

“Stuck?”

“Up here in Duluth.” I took a deep breath. “The car kind of died.”

“It what?”

“It ran out of oil. It brought me all the way to the waterfront and then it died.”

There was a long pause. I hated those. It meant there were issues to talk through.

“Still there, Lindy?”

More pause. “How are you going to get back down here?”

“Um,” I said. “Bus. Rental car. I haven’t figured it out yet.”

“And the car?”

“I don’t know. Everything’s closed that would take a car.”

“So the car is done?”

“Yeah.”

Another long pause. In misery, I watched an older couple walk slowly toward the hostess’ desk. Did they ever have silences like this?

“Well, you’ll think of something,” said Lindy.

“Yeah, I know,” I said. “I’ll figure something out.”

“Jim.”

“Yeah?”

“I don’t know.”

“Don’t know what?”

“It’s just like I feel like I’m barely hanging on. Up here. I don’t know.”

“Oh.”

“But I’ll see you later. Okay?”

“Yeah. Okay.”

I hung up the phone and marched out of Grandma’s and back down Canal Street to where the Caddy was parked. I had that energy you get when you’ve got this really stressful situation and nothing you can do about it. It focused my mind. I walked up to the Caddy, gave it a hard stomp in the front fender with the flat of my foot, and then walked on. I crossed the street, walked east a couple blocks, and found the Best Western.

The guess list:
Nick
Advice for Robots
Tante Shvester
James Tiberius Kirk
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Lyrhawn

[ September 17, 2007, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

That's it? Three submissions? I think we ought to hold off starting the game until we've got more of a field, no?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah I agree. Though the first guess will certainly be much easier now. Can my reasoning be that I have a one in three chance and that's good enough for a shot in the dark?

I'll have something to you by the end of the weekend, I'm trying to decide which part to use for my submission. Maybe even later tonight.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Oy, I haven't come back to this thread in a while.

I'd thought I'd sent in a submission, but apparently it bounced. It's been resent, Nick.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I just edited the first post and added the recent submitting writers. Sorry, that ought to lessen the odds of a guess now.
JTK, I don't know what happened, I never got the first email. [Dont Know]
I definitely got this one though. [Smile]

EDIT: Darn bad spelling.

[ September 17, 2007, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Submission sent!
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

No worries. I suspect it's something on my end.

--j_k

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Are we guessing off the first story yet?

Shouldn't really be too hard given the small guess list (this was a hell of a lot harder on sake), so I'm going to go with Tante.

Reasons: Well I know it's one of the first three, and it reads like a female. The lead character is female, and it's just a guess but most males don't write about female characters who think about issues they have to talk about, so I think the author is a woman, and I can't recall off the top of my head if Advice for Robots is female or male, so ruling out Nick, I vote for Tante.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm holding off playing until more submissions are in and we have a larger field of play.

But, Lyrhawn, if I were playing, I'd pick me, too. [Wink]

I don't get too much of a sense of who the characters are from this snippet of dialogue, but I like the way that the dialogue rings true. That's not always easy to do.

I also like that even though most of the dialogue is unattributed, it's easy to keep track of who's saying what. That's not always easy to pull off, either.

But, from the little bit I've read, I don't get the feeling that I care too much about the characters, their relationship, or where they are heading.

Oh, dang! And I just said I wasn't going to play. You sucked me in!

::shakes fist::

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

(Psst, Nick, now's the part where you give feedback on the guesses.)
Nick
Member # 4311

Sorry, I have been having computer issues. [Frown]
2 points to Lyrhawn, since he had a guess with a rationale. [Smile] Still not correct yet... [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

What am I, chopped liver? I get bubkes for my critique and guess?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, my next guess, in any event, is Nick. Here's my rationale: we had a field of three (Nick, AFR, and Me), and it has been determined that it wasn't me (and no one was more surprised than I was!), so I've got a 50:50 shot going with Nick.

The only thing is, would he be the type to put up his own submission first, or not? I'm thinking, yeah, he's the type to put it up first.

So, Nick. Final Answer.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh! If not I claim AFR! My reasoning? No other options!
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

I'm going to guess Irami, because he hasn't been guessed either.

--j_k

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Um...

I don't think the dialogue had a lot of soul in it...almost as if the characters weren't too well developed yet. It has potential, but it sounds like a fairly rough draft still. My advice is to keep developing the story and this conversation will eventually work itself out.

Since Nick started this fairly hastily when there were only 3 people to guess from, I suspect that he put up the hasty submission. But I'm going to second Lyrhawn and guess AFR because he's the only reasonable choice left. And then I'm going to submit another chunk for the game.

BTW, Lyrhawn, I'm a he. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

*poke*

--j_k

Nick
Member # 4311

Sorry, still having computer issues.
4 points for Tante for his guess and rationale.
Lyrhawn wins for 10 points. [Smile] AFR gets 1 point for critiquing himself.

So here's the score:
Lyrhawn: 12
Tante Shvester: 4
Advice for Robots: 1

I need more submissions for a larger playing field. [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Urgh! Can we all do double submissions and fake names?

I'm not patient by nature.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Dont Know]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Tante, maybe you ought to run this. It might actually go somewhere.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You know, I could do it.

Nick, you wanna turn over all the submissions to me, and I'll run a game?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought we were still looking for submissions?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I thought the game got forgotten. There were no posts for about a month, no?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

It has been rather quiet lately.

--j_k

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You think?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.