FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes: II (Page 3)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Heroes: II
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
It's justy another mutation. Somewhere they talked about how all mutations aren't good ones and those mutations need to be eliminated. I think it was the geeky company guy talking to Mohindar but I could be wrong. If you think about it, not all mutations in the real world are for the better of the species. those get eliminated and that weeker strand disappears to be replaced by stronger mutations. Same thing here, just at super human levels.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Heroes 202 moved a bit more slowly, like I've come to expect from the show, but it was still decent.

Plus, we're 2 for 2 on no Nikki/Jessie! [Smile]

Anyone else beginning to wonder if the "hero" that Hiro is trying to toughen up is going to somehow turn out to be the boggeyman? I'm not sure how, it just crossed my mind...he seems to have the same power as Claire and we don't know how far that goes. May be he doesn't die and is still alive.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler:

It was revealed that Kane is played by the same person who plays Takezo, Kane is the boogeyman. Obviously the boogeyman is Takezo, unless the writers have something REALLY bizarre in mind. Anyway, it was also revealed that Kane's power is controlling insects, which means that he has two powers. That sets a precedent.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scholar: The dog thing bothered me as well, it was almost like she was determined to NOT look up when acting the scene.
We're talking about Mr. Muggles here, do we really trust his judgement? He spends his day in AKC exile watching dog shows on tv, I wouldn't be surprised if he was popping doggy valiums and sippin the sauce.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Heroes 202 moved a bit more slowly, like I've come to expect from the show, but it was still decent.

Plus, we're 2 for 2 on no Nikki/Jessie! [Smile]

Anyone else beginning to wonder if the "hero" that Hiro is trying to toughen up is going to somehow turn out to be the boggeyman? I'm not sure how, it just crossed my mind...he seems to have the same power as Claire and we don't know how far that goes. May be he doesn't die and is still alive.

Perhaps the blond hair blue eyed Brit is Claire's ancestor through her mom's side? What I mean is that he healed himself and Hiro only thinks he helped him. Although the idea of Hiro grooming the new seasons villain is quite intriguing.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Funniest... post... ever... - Comic Book Guy
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Scholar: The dog thing bothered me as well, it was almost like she was determined to NOT look up when acting the scene.
We're talking about Mr. Muggles here, do we really trust his judgement? He spends his day in AKC exile watching dog shows on tv, I wouldn't be surprised if he was popping doggy valiums and sippin the sauce.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing, why doesn't she look up? Then I realized, she doesn't respect poor Mr. Muggles. I have a beagle that watches tv like that, hilarious.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine, I was wrong.
I assumed he had astral projection because flying would be a repeat power, and I didn't think he would spy on someone if he was so easily visible.

So they have given up on new powers? Flying and healing again?

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the theory is that there isn't an infinite number of genetic mutations.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, in terms of adaptive variation in B-cells, there is a total of 10^19 variations. Of course, the vast majority of those variations don't happen, but we still see something like 10^9 variations. Anything can happen ^^;;.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Hey, now. I never said it was my theory... [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

ah, but what some people may not realize is that the immune system undergoes an amazing process. Just like the bacteria/viruses are constantly changing to expand more aggressively, our own immune system does the same!

Our immune system actually has 7 main systems to create new antibodys, one of which is basically allowing random changes to occur.

...//digression

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Fine, I was wrong.
I assumed he had astral projection because flying would be a repeat power, and I didn't think he would spy on someone if he was so easily visible.

So they have given up on new powers? Flying and healing again?

I was wondering if maybe the powers are replicated in different generations? I'm still kind of hoping the new kid's power is more than just flying, but as he is definitely young enough to be Nathan's son...like I said, I'm still hoping for something else. Flying isn't even the best power, IMHO.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It would be cool if it was something else that made him able to do what he did.

It doesn't bother me that they have Sark/Samurai guy regenerating, though. It seems like that would be such an advantageous mutation that it would be more common, if such things existed. Flying, not so much.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Olivet, now you're trying to make logical sense of these mutations in terms of Darwinian evolution. I just don't have the sense that this show is trying to do this, however much they throw the word "genetics" around. They just want a bunch of people with cool powers that make good television. [Smile]

I mean, if *actual* genetics were involved, children would probably have powers very simiiar to their parents'.

That self-healing thing would be useful, though.

Itsame
Member # 9712

Christine, I doubt they will be doing incest week on heroes. There is no way he is Nathan's son.
Christine
Member # 8594

OMG! I never suggested he was! I said he was YOUNG enough to be -- I was only pointing out they were from different generations. Ew Ew Ew.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally watched the first season and nbc.com'd the first two of the second season.

I'm really upset they brought back Mohinder. Talk about a crappy character played by a crappy actor. Ech!

Then again, crap seems to be the theme this season, what with Mr. Gold Spoon and Mr. Unoriginal Flying Power (who is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen on television).

I may have to stop watching this show. It had a lot of potential, but the sudden, progressive drop in quality at the end of the first season hasn't turned around.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with geek shows is that the writers are rarely as "smart" -- for a given meaning of "smart" -- as their audience. And once the show goes mainstream, they only need to be as smart as the "typical" person, and are even punished for going over that hypothetical person's head. So geeks who loved the show because it was clever are quickly dismissed as an insignificant -- even irritating and undesirable -- audience once it mainstreams and the authors get tired of having to be clever all the time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Olivet, now you're trying to make logical sense of these mutations in terms of Darwinian evolution. I just don't have the sense that this show is trying to do this, however much they throw the word "genetics" around. They just want a bunch of people with cool powers that make good television. [Smile]

I know, I know! *bangs head* I can't help trying make actual sense of it, though. As frustrating as such attempts are doomed to be, as an INTJ I'm intrigued by improbabilities but still feel the need to be rational about them.

Which is probably why I've mostly given up on TV. *sigh*

The biggest misgiving I have about Heroes is that their lead writer, Bryan Fuller, left this season to do his own series, "Pushing Daisies." This, my friends, does not bode well.

With him gone, I fear the tiny seeds of inconsistency - showered by the waters of misused science vocabulary - will grow into a big, ugly hedge of I-Don't-Care-Anymore.

But at this point, I'm still hopeful. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

"So geeks who loved the show because it was clever are quickly dismissed as an insignificant -- even irritating and undesirable -- audience once it mainstreams and the authors get tired of having to be clever all the time."

At least I still have House. It dropped a Schrodinger's Cat joke [Smile] .

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The biggest misgiving I have about Heroes is that their lead writer, Bryan Fuller, left this season to do his own series, "Pushing Daisies." This, my friends, does not bode well.
On the upside, I saw Pushing Daisies last night and quite enjoyed it. The look is lovely, the main actors not bad, and the ending was even a little bit clever. And I adore Kristen Chenoweth.

As quirky as Gilmore Girls, but not as clever and I think it's sweeter. Plus, lots of morbid deaths. I like the sweetness contrasted with the darker humor. And the narrator is a great deal better than the lame narration done by Mohinder.

The narration on Heroes makes me appreciate the episode Passions from Buffy the Vampire Slayer all the more - you don't notice how good it is until you hear other people try to do the same thing.
quote:
He philosophizes on his breakdown of people into two categories: robots and aliens, the former operating on conventional logic (to the point that he can float only a few feet above their heads without their knowledge, as "they never look up") and the latter being abstract thinkers.
This was actually my biggest problem with the season opener. I get that this is supposed to make him intelligent, deep, and attractively cocky, but it reminds me of nothing so much as the kids who wander onto Hatrack having read The Fountainhead and expect to be king of the world, get smacked down, and get mad about it.

Abstract thinking is hardly connected to awareness of the outside world. There's a reason the Far Side cartoon is so funny.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

You know, I really should check out Pushing Daisies. I'm still watching Heroes because I hope it will pay off on its early promise, but the two episodes so far have been bland and unsatisfying (but Nikki-free!).

I would automatically watch anything written by Joss Whedon and a few others, so it makes sense to give Fuller's new thing a try.

Christine
Member # 8594

I don't know, I thought the season premiere had some promise this season, but episode 2 quickly showed me that we're going to have the same pacing problems, split-storyline, and overwhelming # of characters as before. I mean, the premiere set us up for the new season, but what actually happened in episode 2? We found out Claire could regrow her toe. That was really gross. I averted my eyes when she grabbed the scissors.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Which brings up another point, how much effort does it really take to cut off a toe. She seemed to do it with dull scissors rather easily. How fake.

*Hopes people get the irony*

Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to me, and this isn't meant to insult anyone....

How much I care about television and the industry. I keep up with the latest news, not so much in a "celebrity" sort of way, but in the way that I think it would be a ton of fun to do something in the tv industry.

But for the sake of my argument.. Let's just say I'm not a passive tv watcher. I select few programs and watch them.

I've never been critical of heroes the way you guys are here. I've enjoyed basically every week of it. I realize there are slow parts and parts that aren't written well, but overall I'm fascinated by the plot and love all the characters. While some aren't as good as others I can live with that.

I just wonder if its my lack of experience that makes me less cynical about this sort of thing.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
Lanfear...You just discribed my TV watching life.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Lanfear:
I just wonder if its my lack of experience that makes me less cynical about this sort of thing.

Probably. I've become more cynical about these things the older I get and the more I study the craft of writing and story-telling. But I'm still sticking with Heroes right now so they must have done some things right. Actually, I know exactly what they've done right: They've created adult wish fulfillment fantasy. We get so little of that. They also have a few characters that I've fallen in love with -- Hiro, Ando, Peter, Claire, Mr. Bennett, Matt, and even Nathan in a weird sort of way. I love them more than I dislike Nikki, Mohinder, and Syler, which are my problem characters.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the BUG?

[Season 1 spoilers]

I finished watching season one just recently. I saw the entire season in 2 days. One of the things I noticed is that in the Cell where they kept Sylar (and some of the other mutants), I kept seeing an abnormally large cockroach looking bug.

At first I thought it was out of place and decided that since it took effort to put the bug there, it much be significant. However, I dismissed that idea in favor of a more simple explanation of using the bug for mood effect.

HOWEVER, at the end of the season after Sylar dies and Peter explodes high in the sky, you see the same bug coming out of a sewer.

*I just remembered a certain type of cockroach was mentioned in one of Mohinder's lectures.*

Has there been any hint of a Bug hero/villain? I was thinking it is related to the much worse villain that the little girl referenced.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

On the DVD commentary they said that at the beginning they just thought the bug would be cool, because of what Mohinder said in ep. 1 about cockroaches being the ultimate survivors.

However!!! They revealed that Kane's power would be controlling bugs, so they could have decided that based on the presence of bugs in season 1. A retcon of sorts.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
but the two episodes so far have been bland and unsatisfying (but Nikki-free!).

Well, we knew that couldn't last long. She was very much a bit character, though, so it will hopefully not be as large a presence as the first season, so who knows. In season one, the Bennet family provided some of the best moments in the series, so it's a shame to see how bland it is now, but hopefully things will get interesting again there.

As usual, Hiro continues to be the focus for the most interesting story in the show. It will be interesting to see how it connects with the rest of the plot line. I'm also liking Peter's story so far, although who knows how long that will last. He seems to have absorbed pretty much everyone's powers since he left, and I'm worried that this is just the writer's holding pen for him to prevent him from becoming some sort of superman.

I'm really disappointed with the Sylar storyline. I honestly thought that the character had a lot of potential now that he is no longer forced to be the main villian of the series, but it looks like the writers are just going to keep forcing him down the same old path he's been down before. That said, I'm still thinking that there's a decent chance that he's still just locked in a very good illusion. I mean, she really can't be so dumb as to have let her guard down while alone with a power hungry psychopath, right?

Other than that, I'm not sure about this season. I think it's up a little from the worst of season 1, but nowhere near the level it peaked at.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

The new undiscovered painting was a much better cliff-hanger-type ending than anything they'd pulled since late last season. Granted, there haven't been that many episodes since, but it felt like TPTB are getting back into their groove, as it were.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Oy! I almost forgot that Heroes is on tonight!
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm . . .

This season has been a haven for the slashers. As of this episode, we have:
~the possibility of Sylar/Sylar fanfic
~Peter Petrelli, chained up, wet, and half-naked in the back of a storage unit (yum!)
~Molly has two daddies. 'nuff said.
~Also, Claire's new boyfriend's fascination with her healing powers has led my lady to talk about whips. Um. She's writing fanfic now.

Oh well. I've never complained when they had the slashers food.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Molly has two daddies
I giggle about that every single time. [Smile] It's just so perfectly cute.

And that Sylar-on-Sylar definitely has potential...

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm slashing me some Sylar/Sylar right now.

"You're special."
"You're special."
"Nuh-uh, you're the special one."
"You're specialer."
"You're specialest."
*Sylars attempt to eat each others' brains*

They make a cute couple.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

[ROFL]
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
whatever happened to the woman who could communicate with the internet? the one who met Ted and Matt and got them to work together in season 1. did we ever see her again after that?

EDIT: im glad the Haitian has his ability again. i thought he was a cool character.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Haitian is definitely cooler than everyone. He keeps quiet, so he's mysterious, and he doesn't say anything annoying. A big plus over Claire.
Carrie
Member # 394

Let's have a show of hands: Who thinks Sylar is still in an illusion and Candace really isn't dead?

[Wave]

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Candace can't be that stupid.

Especially with the revelation thta he still can't get her powers.

However, the pulling back to the island or jungle or whatever... hmm.

Could go either way.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't enjoy this episode as much.
Claire and her new boytoy weren't believable at all. The dialogue was so lame, as was their flight into the sky.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to know about the girl who can communicate with the internet, read the comics.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
Let's have a show of hands: Who thinks Sylar is still in an illusion and Candace really isn't dead?

[Wave]

I was sure of it until the pullaway. Yeah, we don't know what the limits of her powers are, but that shot definitely seemed to be the director's way of telling us that what just happened was real. Also, this is the first time we've seen an overweight Candace, so that seems to be more evidence in favor of the idea that the events are real.

Either way, I'm disappointed. I've always felt that Sylar had a ton of potential as a character, and that his "death" really provided a great opportunity to develop his character into something interesting. Zachary Quinto seems like a really good actor for the part, and I think that he could really do a great job if the writers would make him into something more than a cliche. From this episode, though, it doesn't seem like there is much chance of that happening.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Candace wouldn't have allowed herself to be seen as she really is, so I'm guessing she's dead. And if she is, then she was pretty stupid. Oh, and did anyone notice all the ticking clock noises in the background when he killed her?

I agree that a reformed Sylar would be way more interesting than leaving him as just a psychopathic villain. Maybe losing his powers will have an effect. I guess we'll see. And just why did he lose his powers, anyway?

Bleh to Claire's new boyfriend. He's a jerk. And if he's been tagged, then the company knows about him, and associating with him could put Claire in danger.

I wonder if they'll really kill Mr. Bennet or if they'll find a way to make the painting come true without him being dead. Maybe it will be Sylar posing as him with Candace's power? Or possibly Peter if he ever came in contact with her.

Molly has two daddies. Heh. It *is* cute. Although you'd think that a telepath wouldn't be so helpless when Molly refuses to talk. The idea of Sylar with himself, though, is just...ew. I guess it makes sense for a megalomaniac like him.

I wonder if each generation has a set of powers -- so maybe there wouldn't be another person Claire's age who can regenerate, but there might be one from her father's generation, or her grandmother's.

Oh, and it looks like they're going to have yet another original Star Trek actor! Next, they should have Leonard Nimoy show up and play Sylar's father.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:

I agree that a reformed Sylar would be way more interesting than leaving him as just a psychopathic villain. Maybe losing his powers will have an effect. I guess we'll see. And just why did he lose his powers, anyway?

Presumably the virus that Molly and the Haitian had, although I don't know why Candace wasn't effected.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
The Claire/stalker storyline is boring and doesn't make much sense.

I was hoping to see the Haitian and Mr. Bennett in this episode.

I'm hoping the twin's story goes somewhere. And how lame is the product placement? They drive off in a Nissan Rogue?!

I thought they should have just killed Sylar off in Season 1, but whatev. The sylar story was better than I was expecting. Very interesting.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you think it makes sense? I think West is terrific. For once, here's a character who takes simple joy in being able to do something different. How many of those have we had up until now? One. Hiro.

And there's the added twist of Claire's dad being the subject of his worst nightmares, so she's going to have to come clean to him about that, eventually.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
whatever happened to the woman who could communicate with the internet? the one who met Ted and Matt and got them to work together in season 1. did we ever see her again after that?

Wireless, Part One

Wireless, Part Two

Wireless, Part Three

Wireless, Part Four

The Death of Hana Gittelman, Part One

The Death of Hana Gittelman, Part Two

The four part Wireless story takes place before we see Hana in the show, and the two parter takes place afterwards. And despite the title, it's not quite so cut and dried.

The comic is canon. There's stuff in there that's relevant to the show.

Betty, Part One

Betty, Part Two

Betty, Part Three

Betty, Part Four

This is the story of Betty/Candice/Michelle, if you're interested.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Why oh why is Niki back?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.