FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes: II (Page 7)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Heroes: II
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Does anyone know why this season's episodes aren't available on iTunes? I'd grown accustomed to downloading my TV shows. I know that I can still watch the episodes online at nbc.com but I'd like to be able to download them so I can watch when I'm not connected to the internet.

NBC and apple had a dispute a while back, and NBC decided not to renew the contract. Since this would result in apple only getting half a season for some shows, they decided to just pull everything.

Edit: Here's a link to the story from Marketwatch.

link

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
NBC has cancelled its deal with iTunes because of a pricing dispute. I think they are or will be selling episodes elsewhere, though I don't remember where.

Edit: Too slow!

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the writing may have passed below some kind of obvious threshhold for me. I felt bored with the episode except for the bits with Mr. Bennet, who I much prefer a little evil. There was plenty going on, but I thought it was telegraphed to pointlessness. The only real question for me is how will Hiro communicate with Ando next?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, well at least there is gonna be another post-apocalyptic story-line. Those are always fun.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
This episode was not so good, imo. Boring events, more of the twins, and a silly and immoral scheme to scare a cheerleader.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Seconded. Also, Mr. Bennett is back to being evil (I thought he left the company and decided to bring it down because he realized how evil it is), which is rather disappointing and uninteresting. And not much else happened in the episode.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Seconded. Also, Mr. Bennett is back to being evil (I thought he left the company and decided to bring it down because he realized how evil it is), which is rather disappointing and uninteresting.

Did he ever really stop being evil? Yeah, he was supposed to be sympathetic because of how much he cared for his family, but he hasn't been shown to be all that great in the actual practice of defending his family. For one thing, even on his family members he has shown very little in the way of scruples, since he's regularly had the memories of his family members taken away in the name of protecting them. Oh, and don't forget that this guy seemed quite willing to kill Molly Walker because he thought it would make things a little safer for his family. As far as I'm concerned, this guy was never really a particularly good person, and this episode is just reminding us of that.

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
... and a silly and immoral scheme to scare a cheerleader.

Yeah, Claire's story is somehow managing to get less and less interesting to me, not to mention less plausible. I mean, was she really dumb enough not to at least consider that her father might hear a rumor about what happened and connect the dots. I mean, he was the one who tagged that flying kid. Unless he's moved since then, isn't there a decent chance that Mr. Bennet knows about him?

Also, I still liked Hiro's story this week, and I like that we're starting to see some of what the overall story for this year will be.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'd forgotten that he was going to kill Molly. But I was thinking of how he changed after he left the company—he stopped hiding everything from them and told them everything. That's a pretty significant change. But I suppose he still has no qualms about killing, so I guess he's just changed his priorities and decided to kill for his family instead of killing for the company.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
How many characters are there on the show that haven't done bad things?
  • Nathan abandoned his daughter, had an affair, almost let NYC be nuked
  • Peter helped commit a crime
  • Hiro and Ando stole a sword
  • Niki... 'nuff said
  • DL was a thief
  • Micah robbed an ATM and stole Pay-Per-View
  • Claire got Debbie the bitca kicked off of the cheerleading squad because she hurt her feelings
  • Maya killed a bunch of men
  • Alejandro... well, all he's really done is violate immigration law, no?
  • Parkman... has he done anything bad?
  • Mohinder seems pretty clean as well
  • Molly helped the Company track people down
Other than Molly's Daddies (heh), everyone on this show is morally ambiguous. At best.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Mohinder has commited the crime of being dreadfully boring.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember what happened to those diamonds that Parkman took from that guy he was acting as a bodyguard for (after he died).
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Alejandro... well, all he's really done is violate immigration law, no?

Accessory to murder?
Itsame
Member # 9712

On the list of those who have done bad things, you forgot that girl from New Orleans. I like that girl, very likable.

Oh, does anyone know the origin of the likeable/likable difference.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

[*]Parkman... has he done anything bad?

He's been pretty clean in this timeline, but five years in the future he did kill Bennet in cold blood and help prop up an oppressive regime.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, this was the worst episode of the season with one minor exception -- I'm finally interested in what's going to happen to Hiro.

But come on, ANOTHER threat to New York City? Who the heck even cares? And I mean, is New York the only city on the planet because sometimes I swear movie and TV people think so. I was completely defensive of this season until I saw that. They are trying to compel us with the EXACT same storyline again and it is not going to work. Heck, it wasn't that interesting last season. Sigh...

I'm not thrilled with Mr. Bennett's new evil side.

The twins continue to bore me, as does Syler.

Niki was back, however briefly. Ugh.

Claire's troubles with a cartoonishly spiteful cheer leading captain was unbelievable. Her revenge didn't bother me nearly as much as the implausibility of the whole situation.

Oh, and Peter's still a walking, talking moron. I actually liked him last year.

Aside from Hiro, Mohinder actually managed to be the most interesting character this time.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Parkman setup that warrantless raid to the paper warehouse Noah was, "working" at; got suspended for that. He also punched, (assault) that guy when he read his thoughts about him having sex with his wife.

Also in that alternate future episode Parkman was a HUGE jerk, I wanted him dead during that episode. I like him just fine now.

edit:
Alejandro tried to break into a car, and got caught by that policeman. Grand theft auto is pretty big in my book. He has also stated that he won't undue the damage his sister's power inflicts next time it kills somebody.

Why couldn't she have killed the citizen's border patrol, had her brother cure them and then drove off while they were all coming to?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
But come on, ANOTHER threat to New York City?

It wasn't just New York City—it was the entire world. The preview for next week said something about 93 percent of the world's population dying.

quote:
Why couldn't she have killed the citizen's border patrol, had her brother cure them and then drove off while they were all coming to?
Because it's a plot device, like her fluency in English when her brother doesn't speak a word. He only cures the virus when it's expedient to the story.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
And remember, last year it was "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World", but they rarely indicated that anyplace other than New York City was in immediate danger of annihilation. They did show a pretty grim world in the future had the bomb in NYC gone off, but, one might argue that the world we live in NOW is somewhat grim...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
But come on, ANOTHER threat to New York City?

It wasn't just New York City—it was the entire world. The preview for next week said something about 93 percent of the world's population dying.

I don't watch previews...hey tend to either spoil or mislead, and I don't like either way. [Smile]

Even so, I very much hope you are right and that it is more than just New York in jeopardy. It would be more exciting. I wish they could have given us a taste of that at the end of this episode, though. By showing us the same street corner in New York it really just felt like another New York problem.

Hmmm...but that makes me wonder. It wasn't a bomb...it seemed more like a plague. I wonder if whatever the company is doing really will mutate the virus until it destroys everyone.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
So, the Russian in the new episode is bad...I mean Sean Connery bad. I should be honest and say some of them aren't to bad but Claires dad is horrific.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I already mentioned that I was going to stop watching until my friends informed me that the show stopped being dull. This would be easy for them to do since a good chunk of them would get together and watch Heroes here.

Uh, unfortunately, the last few episodes have been so piss-poor that the heroes parties just dropped off the map. Now I trust this thread to tell us all when to restart viewership.

Heroes is in geostationary orbit above the shark.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to guess?

The company is using the virus to kill everyone who ISN'T a Hero, and the 7% or whatever of the population that survives are all heroes. Or they aren't trying and it happens anyway, but that's my guess.

Hiro's was the plot that bothered me the most this week. He had to know he was never going to get the girl in this specific instance, yet he screwed everything up anyway. I wouldn't call Noah evil per se, but he IS ruthless.

This episode didn't bother me any, it pushed stuff along and next week looks pretty cool. This thread has gotten a bit stale though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I just realized where the Russian dude is from, Spiderman! He's the landlord!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Sergeant:
So, the Russian in the new episode is bad...I mean Sean Connery bad. I should be honest and say some of them aren't to bad but Claires dad is horrific.

Sergeant

You know that the guy who played Ivan really does speak Russian, right? He was born in Latvia. But yeah, Claire's dad didn't sound nearly so authentic—like he just learned a few lines phonetically.

Jon: That was driving me nuts, too. I didn't realize it until I saw his IMDB page.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
But yeah, Claire's dad didn't sound nearly so authentic—like he just learned a few lines phonetically.
Why would he sound anywhere near that authentic? One was born in the area and knows the language from birth, both his character and the actor. The other is from America, born and raised, and learned it later. Is there a reason he SHOULD sound as authentic as the real thing?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I wasn't being critical. I didn't think he sounded that bad, but then again I don't speak Russian. Honestly, though, his fluency or lack there of was so trivial that it doesn't even earn an honorable mention on the list of things that disappointed me about that episode.
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't his accent so much as the words they chose for him to say. Just as Sean Connery in Hunt for Red October (which was worse as he was supposed to be a Russian) he didn't make proper sentences. Then again, I was chatting with someone today in Russian and I didn't do so great either [Smile]

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:

Hmmm...but that makes me wonder. It wasn't a bomb...it seemed more like a plague. I wonder if whatever the company is doing really will mutate the virus until it destroys everyone.

Either that or the stuff from that girl's eyes will have something to do with it. Maybe even a combination of the two, if the company gets her. I mean, there has to be some reason for her being here, right?

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Alejandro ... has also stated that he won't undue the damage his sister's power inflicts next time it kills somebody.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that was specifically limited to killing Sylar, probably as a check on him pulling something like the situation at the border.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Actually, Sean Connery's character was supposed to be Lithuanian. [Razz]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I just realized where the Russian dude is from, Spiderman! He's the landlord!

Aha! I knew I had seen him before, just didn't have a chance to IMDB him.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
Maya trusting a guy she found laying on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere a couple days ago over her own brother really irritates me.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
At least the Haitian was in this past episode.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by JoeH:
Maya trusting a guy she found laying on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere a couple days ago over her own brother really irritates me.

Maya irritates me. She makes no sense and neither does her plotline. If it is possible, it's worse than Nikki/Jesse

Speaking of which, who thinks Nikki/Jesse is suddenly cured and if so, is she Nikki or Jesse?

Itsame
Member # 9712

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
At least the Haitian was in this past episode.

Alright, this is totally unfair. You are allowed to like the Haitian because he is hot, but we are not allowed to like Nikki for the same reason. Sexism!
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Nikki ain't hot, and the Haitian is just plain cool.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

She is pretty hot, IMO. Besides, there are so few female characters that I take what I can get. The women have the Haitian, Mohinder, Peter, and Nathan.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
who thinks Nikki/Jesse is suddenly cured and if so, is she Nikki or Jesse?
Jessica. Definitely. She'll get to keep control over the body thanks to the Company until Micah is once again in harm's way. Then her mommy instincts will take over. On the bright side, Jessica tends to be more interesting than Niki.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I believe multiple personality disorder is usually treated by integrating the personalities, so I'm guessing the answer is she's both.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Jessica. She was giving off that evil/smooth Jessica vibe.

Claire and West are really starting to get on my nerves. The Alejandro/Maya/Sylar plot is also stupid. Didn't Maya already use her virus powers to break Alejandro out of jail? I interpreted that as purposeful, which means that Sylar's use of her to kill those guys isn't a new trick for her, really. It's just that this time, for some weird reason, she decided to leave them dead.

I wonder if Monica can do supernatural things if she sees another hero doing something. If so, she's like Peter++. If not, she's his complement in a way. I want to see more of her.

Definite "Oh my goodness!" moment when Russian guy says "You condemn yourself to hell," and Mr. Bennet shoots him and says, "I know." I'm not entirely certain I buy his rationale for killing the guy, actually. The company must know that the Bennets are still out there hiding, and I don't see how messing with Russian guy's mind would give them any clues as to his whereabouts. I suppose they might pull up travel information. It kind of seems like there might be some element of revenge, though. Also, I think he's being really stupid in how he's handling this situation. He should have shown Claire the painting and explained to her why he didn't want her to date. I think she'd understand.

The first thing I thought when I saw the abandoned city was "Oh, I bet that virus got out and killed everyone."

Hiro was being stupid when he kissed Yaeko. And when Kensei confronted him, he probably should have offered to leave.

Why was Mohinder wearing a lab coat? There's no good reason to wear one while watching someone do gymnastics. I know it's shorthand for "I'm a scientist!" but scientists don't usually wear them unless they're trying to stay clean or are worried about getting something dangerous spilled on them.

Bob did a good job pretending to be not-evil, but I'm betting we'll find out he was just a very good actor.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I wonder if Monica can do supernatural things if she sees another hero doing something.

I don't think so. Mohinder said it was muscle memory or something. And she's seen Micah do his thing, but she doesn't seem to have gained his ability.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Bob did a good job pretending to be not-evil, but I'm betting we'll find out he was just a very good actor.
I'd say that ended when Bob sent Jessikki to watch over Mohinder as his "partner." I don't think Mohinder, while naive, is dumb enough to miss the implied threat that she gave him. He's being much more closely watched, and they won't tolerate anymore insubordination.
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:

Definite "Oh my goodness!" moment when Russian guy says "You condemn yourself to hell," and Mr. Bennet shoots him and says, "I know." I'm not entirely certain I buy his rationale for killing the guy, actually. The company must know that the Bennets are still out there hiding, and I don't see how messing with Russian guy's mind would give them any clues as to his whereabouts. I suppose they might pull up travel information. It kind of seems like there might be some element of revenge, though. Also, I think he's being really stupid in how he's handling this situation. He should have shown Claire the painting and explained to her why he didn't want her to date. I think she'd understand.

I kind of agree with you, but I also think that his behavior is pretty reasonable considering his history. From what we've been presented, he has a pretty strong us vs them mentality, not to mention having spent so much time being secretive that it must be second nature to him. When you add in the fact that he's basically slipped back into the same lifestyle he was leading before "The Company Man" (although now the company is "them" instead of "us"), it is very believable that he would slip back into the same old compartmentalization.

quote:

Hiro was being stupid when he kissed Yaeko. And when Kensei confronted him, he probably should have offered to leave.

Yeah, I agree that it was stupid, but he wouldn't be the first person to do something incredibly stupid due to love.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't seen any episodes past when I said I'd quit, but something's been bugging me and I need to ask, because maybe I missed it. Is Nathan a senator? If so, why does he now look like a homeless person? If not, why isn't he, and why aren't there way more repercussions because of it?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wasn't he running for the House of Reps? He certainly won the election, but if I had to guess I'd say that he quit his post.

And give him some credit, he doesn't look homeless anymore. I'm a big surprised that his marriage broke down as fast as it did. Considering how he stuck by his wife after the accident (well, at least in HER perception), she dumped him kind of fast.

I'd like to see a flashback, or at least a visit from his wife to explain what the hell happened there.

What I want to know: Who is Adam Monroe? Who wants to guess that he is Kristen Bell's father?

Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a picture of the painting with Noah dead and Claire in it? To me it has always just looked like she's standing over him with half her face in shadow -- I don't see this "She's making out with a boy" thing y'all keep talking about.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Adam is Peter's mirror self. That's why the note from Adam was left on the bureau mirror.

As for Nathan, the teacher commented that he wasn't allowed to be there at the school. That sounds like a restraining order to me. I'm guessing he got violent while he was drunk after Peter died.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Adam is Peter's mirror self. That's why the note from Adam was left on the bureau mirror.
Elaboration please?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by JoeH:

But remember this, "guy laying in the dirt" knows Dr. Saresh which is pretty coincidental. He also put that Wanted: poster in their faces and asked them to be honest with him about them being fugitives, (as an aside did the poster say "fugitive" or "murderers," pretty sure it said fugitives.) and immediately returned their honesty with some of "his own" when he told them the other guy was calling the police and that they would have to run. Maya has coupled these events with her theology and thinks God is working in mysterious ways. How else could they just HAPPEN to run into another guy who is not afraid of their powers, and knows Dr. Seresh, the doctor who can help them come to grips with their condition?

It's going to be a pretty rude awakening down the road.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
rather disappointing and uninteresting. And not much else happened in the episode.
Hey, that kind of sums up my entire experience with this series.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
rather disappointing and uninteresting. And not much else happened in the episode.
Hey, that kind of sums up my entire experience with this series.
Funny that's exactly how your wife described you last night. OHHHHHH!!! [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.