FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Introducing... Chess for Girls!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Introducing... Chess for Girls!!!
guinevererobin
Member # 10753

- posted      Profile for guinevererobin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm probably part of the problem, but I'm better than the previous generation and I'm trying. From the day I could put real clothes on Aerin, I've dressed her very femininely. I put her in headbands until she had enough hair for ribbons. She has very blue eyes, but I didn't put her in anything blue until her hair was long enough for blue bows. No one has ever mistaken her for a boy and I would have been upset if they had. She has a wardrobe that even I'm embarassed by, which includes 4 tutus.
As long as you're encouraging her to develop her interests, whether they fall into "masculine" or "feminine" stereotypes, I don't see anything wrong with a girlie wardrobe.

I grew up a a tomboy, and my dad put a ton of pressure on me to do well in math and science and to compete with the guys in my activities, whereas my mom was more, "whatever you want to do, sweetie". She was kind of a grown-up tomboy herself and didn't teach me anything about fashion or being "girlie". Well, I work in a "Boy job" and I still compete with the guys all the time, but I love being as girlie as possible on the weekends. When I have daughters I hope I can teach them both - how to be the girlie-girl who can hang with the boys.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was funny and sad. Funny, because toy marketers think girls will only play with things that are pink and have long hair. Sad, because they make it true.

edit: And also, funny, because the theme song singers just repeat everything that gets said. "Night of dancing!" HAHAHA.

And once again, PSI realizes that a thread has more than one page.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Bin is exceptionally cute. [Smile]
I feel like we will have real gender equality when I can wear a dress and still be taken seriously. I had a female prof who said I am far too feminine in my manners and dress and need to eliminate that in order to succeed. She encouraged another women to work on deepening her voice so it would be more masculine in tone.
At this point, I must admit, I would strongly discourage Bin from science. Not because she is a girl, but because science sucks!!!! I am in my sixth year as a phd student and Monday my advisor and I are meeting to discuss changing my thesis topic AGAIN. Engineering would be fine as would medicine. English major would take some convincing. [Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
I had a female prof who said I am far too feminine in my manners and dress and need to eliminate that in order to succeed.

That is a right shame.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Scholar are you male or female? At first I thought you were male, but then I realized your prof was encouraging you and another woman to be manlier, so I wasn't clear if she just thinks women should be manlier, or if she thinks everyone should be manlier.

If you're female, then I think we will have real gender equality when I can wear a dress and be taken seriously.

Edited for a typo.

[ September 16, 2007, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Dan_Frank ]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit of a tomboy, but I find it disturbing that a female professor was encouraging other women to act more masculine. I don't think people should have to alter their behavior like that to be taken seriously.

I kind of do think that gendered behaviors are somewhat a result of socialization. I was really not a feminine little girl at all. Much of what I played with was gender-neutral, like legos and books. I didn't really have dolls (and when I did play with them, I generally pretended to be a doctor rather than playing house). I've learned some more feminine behaviors since then, but I had to deliberately learn them, and in some cases I had to push kind of hard against what felt natural. I'm willing to accept the idea that some stereotypical behaviors may be hardwired, but I strongly suspect that socialization plays an important role.

Also, those of you who have facebook need to add facebook chess and play with me.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
What's your facebook profile?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

I'm a female.

And I would agree that a man should be able to wear a dress in any circumstance it would be appropriate for a woman to wear one .

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for equality, but I don't think there's any need to throw out gender differences either. I don't see a problem with genders having different clothing styles. I like that women are pretty.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

A man in a kilt is sexy. [Smile]
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
A man in a kilt is sexy. [Smile]

Agreed. However, for all the joking about kilts being skirts for men, they are not at all feminine. Trust me, I wear them. And when you go to Celebrate Your Heritage type dance festivals, and you are surrounded by Mexican women in their long, flowey, colorful skirts, and Indian women in their gorgeous saris, and all the other women seem to be wearing ultra feminine costumes, me in my kilt that flattens out all my curves and emphasizes my big strong calves . . . . Yeah, not feminine at all.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I would wear a kilt by they are ridiculously expensive.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered a kilt last weekend. It's arriving November 1st! I'm gonna be so sexy, in a very masculine way [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Amilia, are you a man or a woman? I thought only men wore kilts.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a woman. I'm also a Highland dancer. While you are generally correct (only men wear kilts), female Highland dancers and women in pipe bands are the exceptions. My point was just that it does feel like cross-dressing for all there's no inseam to a kilt.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a pipe band. I'm a woman. I wore a kilt, as did our dancers. We also all (boys and girls) had to change in the same room (the music room)....so I am now an expert at changing clothes while revealing nothing!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a teachable skill? You may be onto the next fad [Wink] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Belle, as a Lady, surely you recall what to do when another woman inappropriately, hmmm, makes an embarrassing noise at the table? Out of courtesy, you carry on. Please do!

This is propogating the same problem. If we were liberated, we should respond by giving the farter a high five and asking if we can light the next one on fire.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I would agree that a man should be able to wear a dress in any circumstance it would be appropriate for a woman to wear one.
Man, I would love to be able to wear a muumuu on a hot summer day. Just one article of clothing that's light and airy and doesn't make me sweat. Unfortunately, working on a job site, that might cause some unruliness.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am now an expert at changing clothes while revealing nothing!
Are you sure? You should arrange for independent testing of this claim.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

I think by lady, CT meant having class, not being female.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.