FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My legs spasm when lightely asleep

Author Topic: My legs spasm when lightely asleep
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
generally when I am light headed and I begin to doze off parts of my body will at around the borderzone between daydreaming and sleep will just randomly spasm kinda violently.

So what is this exactly and is it wikipediable up?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine do that when I'm taking cold medicine...and also if I haven't gotten enough exercise. Do either of these apply to you?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It is called "Restless Leg Syndrome", I think. I'm not a doctor (as well you know) but I believe (and googling seems to support my belief) it is sometimes associated with mineral/vitamin deficiency.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's RLS based on the wiki article about it.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be a hypnic jerk?

No, I did not say you are a hyp-...oh, nevermind.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What you described sounds more like a hypnic jerk, as DeathofBees said, than restless leg syndrome.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where I heard this, but I heard it was something like your brain getting fooled into thinking you were actually dying instead of falling asleep, so it sends out a spasm.

Probably a hypnic jerk though. [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
generally when I am light headed and I begin to doze off parts of my body will at around the borderzone between daydreaming and sleep will just randomly spasm kinda violently.

So what is this exactly and is it wikipediable up?

Definately sounds like a Hypnic Jerk. I have the exact same thing happen to me maybe once or twice a week as I am about to fall asleep. It's nothing to worry about.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Earendil--

I think Dr. House says that. If you watch House.

I like "myoclonic twitch" better as a name. I remember when I first discovered that there was a name for that phenomenon, I was just about the happiest person on the planet for a little while. Myoclonic twitch.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Earendil--

I think Dr. House says that. If you watch House.

I like "myoclonic twitch" better as a name. I remember when I first discovered that there was a name for that phenomenon, I was just about the happiest person on the planet for a little while. Myoclonic twitch.

That's probably where I got it. [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
I don't know where I heard this, but I heard it was something like your brain getting fooled into thinking you were actually dying instead of falling asleep, so it sends out a spasm.

Probably a hypnic jerk though. [Wink]

For me, it happens when I'm half asleep....I end up having a dream that I'm falling down or that someone is throwing something at me, and I jerk to stop my fall or catch whatever's being thrown. It's kind of funny.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way I can connect this conversation to the muscle twitches my dog exhibits while dreaming?

That being said, when I'm just at the edge of sleep, I do occasionally suffer the full body jolt (probably similar to the one pH mentioned).

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there any way I can connect this conversation to the muscle twitches my dog exhibits while dreaming?
Probably the same thing, or else its just a minor form of sleep walking.

My cat occasionally twitches when she is fast asleep, I'm sure it's dream based.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog goes through the paws and muzzle moving, soft barking, and some serious REM movement. It's funny watching her wake herself up with a bark.

Wonder if we look that silly sleeping...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

It's alittle creepy to have a kitten balled up between your arm and torso while you watch TV and then suddenly feel this spasm of fur. [Wink]
Earendil18
Member # 3180

What's fun to do is lightly tickle a single hair on their back, and watch the entire back muscles ripple up and down. Then give your kitty smooches...
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I also start to dream that I'm falling down and jerk myself hard awake. It happens to me less often than it used to.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.