FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zeugma's "How to delete an account?" Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Zeugma's "How to delete an account?" Thread
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's illegal. That's not gray at all.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not clear at all that it's illegal to post the copyrighted lyrics to a song - it very much depends on the context, including many factors. Fair use is pretty much the textbook example of "gray area." (Edit: To be clear, it is very often illegal to post copyrighted lyrics.)

What is clear is that our hosts have asked that we avoid the gray by following a bright-line rule of 3 lines.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The exact number of lines that you can quote from a song and still be within fair use and not be infringing on copyright is definitely a grey area.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Right. The proportion of a copyrighted work copied is 1 of 4 factors used to evaluate fair use. Sometimes copying the entire work is fair use. Sometimes less than one tenth of a percent is not fair use.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Sometimes copying the entire work is fair use.

Hmm. Example, please?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Haikus for academic commentary.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok. A haiku or other very short work, especially for academic use, I buy. I am not convinced that the full lyrics (or a large fraction thereof) of a song, for non-academic use, is in the same ballpark.
fugu13
Member # 2859

A very simple song, consisting of a short melody and a repetitive refrain, could be similarly okay.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Feliz Navidad.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Thinking about it, even a more complex song would probably be okay, reproduced piecewise throughout an analysis or somesuch.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday To You.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Ok. A haiku or other very short work, especially for academic use, I buy.
That's black-and-white fair use.

quote:
I am not convinced that the full lyrics (or a large fraction thereof) of a song, for non-academic use, is in the same ballpark.
You're right - it's out of the trivial case and into the gray area.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Reproducing Happy Birthday To You in many settings is not generally fair use. That's why restaurants who'll do birthday parties for kids generally sing their own little made up ditties. While it is probably fair use to sing for someone's birthday at home (at least, the copyright holder would never dare go after random people for it), reproducing it in print is probably generally not okay.

I suspect the copyright holder of Feliz Navidad has mostly given up trying to enforce it in many situations, either out of benevolence or exasperation [Wink] .

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, I forgot some big ones. Google (and other) internet caches. To distribute copies of the song for study to a class. Copies of almost anything you've already purchased, for limited personal use.
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Happy Birthday To You.

Snopes on Happy Birthday
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Reproducing Happy Birthday To You in many settings is not generally fair use.
I suspect that reproducing the lyrics of the two-line song is.

X = "Happy Birthday to you"
Y = "Happy Birtday dear " + name

print X
print X
print Y
print X

fugu13
Member # 2859

Don't take my word for it, take the courts' (check out the Snopes link). People routinely pay thousands of dollars for the right to present renditions of it (notably in movies).

edit: I do not mean to imply the courts have ruled against reproducing the lyrics. They have ruled on who owns the copyright, and that there is a copyright.

Notably, the song Happy Birthday is based on (Good Morning to All) is in the public domain, so you can sing that all you want. You could even describe the differences between the two lyrics, most definitely.

The courts might even agree you could reproduce the lyrics completely, but I woudn't call it certain.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I didn't call it certain either. I said that I suspected it.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. There's threads in poor taste, there's threads in really poor taste, and then there's this.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's subject/verb agreement!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

This moment is preserved on the internet forever >:[
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a lot of snark around here lately [Frown]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

- Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
There seems to be a lot of snark around here lately [Frown]

Snark is cheap.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
That was hurtful. [Frown]
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's illegal. That's not gray at all.
Which apparently can't be said of Noemon's underpants.

Topical humor.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

I'm immortal!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

I'm immortal!
I have no rival, no man can be my equal...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.