FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BlackBlade's Parents Blunder Their Way Into The News

Author Topic: BlackBlade's Parents Blunder Their Way Into The News
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
http://stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=56176&archive=true

According to my parents after the captain (their friend) jumped into the water trying to retrieve the bucket, the wind suddenly picked up and started driving the boat forward. The captain's wife apparently freaked out from a combination of having her children on board, being pregnant at the time, and having a history of miscarriages.

The captain's wife deliberately grabbed the rudder, and directed the boat towards the rocks in front of the shore, while my father frantically tried to take down the sails, and lower the motor into the water himself. My mom tried to explain to the captain's wife that going towards the rocks was a very bad idea, but the she wasn't listening to anybody, just kept saying, "I'm getting my kids back on land!" All the children on board belonged to her not my parents.

So there you have it, at least my parents side of the story. I must admit I wish my parents had come out a bit more heroic in the news article but they did what they did. My dad lately has picked up sailing as a hobby and I'm sure this incident has delayed my father's mad plan to purchase a boat. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I must admit I wish my parents had come out a bit more heroic in the news article but they did what they did.

I'm glad your parents are ok! I wouldn't worry about them not being heroic because they probably handled the situation better than my parents would have. My mom would have swore up a storm and my dad would probably have jumped in to get the bucket just like the captain.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
“‘That was the craziest thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life!’”
[Big Grin]
“Apparently the captain jumped overboard attempting to retrieve a bucket that was for the female passengers to relieve themselves in,” Dillon said. “I have no idea why someone would go sailing in seas like that, let alone jump overboard for a bucket.”

Well, clearly he's never gone sailing with a pregnant woman.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
“‘That was the craziest thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life!’”
[Big Grin]
“Apparently the captain jumped overboard attempting to retrieve a bucket that was for the female passengers to relieve themselves in,” Dillon said. “I have no idea why someone would go sailing in seas like that, let alone jump overboard for a bucket.”

Well, clearly he's never gone sailing with a pregnant woman.

Huh... I never thought of that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackbeard's Pirates Plunder Their Way Into The Crews
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.