FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Petition Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Petition Thread
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that the original statement was intended to be all that funny.

KoM's silly reaction and, with his past behavior and displayed character, him having rainbow colored clay feet amuses me greatly though.

---

edit: Although, to be clear, I was pretty much serious about the only people I've ever known who consider "not being into guys" as an important part of their self identity were all closeted gays...well, and militant lesbians. I'm not implying that KoM is gay, but it's a terribly silly thing to place importance on.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
It seems hardly fair to poke fun at some one for misunderstanding a slang term that is not in common use among their peers.

I don't see where anyone has done this.
quote:
In fact it seems presumptuous on a forum like this which cuts across many age, ethnic and cultural groups to expect that people would understand any given slang term.
I don't see where anyone has done this either.

Though, just to be on the safe side, I'll never presume that anyone will understand me again.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
<deleted on Noemon's request>

[ September 14, 2007, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though, just to be on the safe side, I'll never presume that anyone will understand me again.
Welcome to my world.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
MattP: I think you misunderstand me. I explicitly said "given my interpretation" at the beginning of my explanation as to how one could take offence.

I was not explaining why the *intended* joke was funny.
Quite the contrary, I was explaining how someone *given my interpretation* of the joke could find it quite insulting.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
(in response to Javert Hugo) That's pretty mean.

[edited to add quote]
[edited again 'cause MrSquicky has a point (and before he made the explicit request that I edit. [Razz] )]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Wow, kat, that interpretation didn't come from anywhere but yourself. I'm pretty positive that it wasn't at all what was intended. I actually refrained from quoting it because you really should delete it. That was extremely mean and uncalled for.

---

edit: vonk, can I suggest that you remove the quote and perhaps put in the name of the person you are addressing. If kat (JH) deletes that like she should, it would be a shame to have it still around because you quoted it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, did you figure out how to prevent the exploit in your petition code?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
Porter,

Sure, but it's possible to make anything sound dirty if you add "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" after it.

The "nudge, wink" was supposed to be implied in those examples.

Now, while I don't think it was correct or necessarily reasonable to infer something like the "nudge, wink" along with the original joke, it's an understandable inference.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Wow, kat, that interpretation didn't come from anywhere but yourself. I'm pretty positive that it wasn't at all what was intended.
Actually, that's how I interpreted it as well.
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember the context of the original comment correctly, I didn't find it offensive for implying that KoM had the hots for Blayne, sexual or otherwise. I found it offensive because it implied that the only reason KoM could have for defending Blayne was that he was abnormally attracted to him.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, a lot humor is fairly cutting at its core. I'm not saying it is accurate; I'm saying how it is funny without having anything to do with homosexuality.

Try explaining why a pratfall is funny without sounding like a monster.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Wow, that (the interpretation) is an awful thing for someone to say. Why would you let that stand uncommented on? That's a blatant violation of the TOS if it was intended that way.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Now, while I don't think it was correct or necessarily reasonable to infer something like the "nudge, wink" along with the original joke, it's an understandable inference.

I can understand someone inferring that if they've never heard the phrase "man-crush" before. I can't imagine someone familiar with the phrase using it to imply that someone is gay.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

News Flash: Mocking humor is mocking and not flattering.

In other news: Gravity makes things fall.

---

Now, the above, while not very funny, if it were, would be funny because it is saying that Mr. Squicky has such a poor grasp of social behavior that he must be so dumb as to not understand the basic physical tendencies of the universe.

Humor is a bite rendered subtly.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, given that we have four possible interpretations so far, "not intended to be all that funny", my "uncomfortably close" interpretation, Javert's mean interpretation (which refutes my previous thought on the issue, that I might be being too cynical in my interpretation), and the "exaggerated esteem" interpretation ...

I think I've established that there is ample room for misinterpretation and possible taking of offence.

Dagonee: I doubt it given that some took up your challenge of
quote:
...or simply redirect to an objectionable site.
[Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Wow, kat, that interpretation didn't come from anywhere but yourself. I'm pretty positive that it wasn't at all what was intended.
Actually, that's how I interpreted it as well.
I didn't interpret it that way. I thought it was funny because the level of positive enthusiasm for another human being indicated by the term "man crush" seem incongruous with my experience of KoM's personality. In other words, the juxtapostition of KoM and man-crush was funny, not the juxtposition of man-crush and Blayne.

edit to add: and now five interpretations.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I'm not saying I believe my interpretation and I'm not even saying that the original joker believed it. I'm saying how it could be funny without being an accusation of homosexuality.

A lot of humor does have a sting behind it. Stripping away the context to leave only the sting can be a shock. On the other hand, context matters.

If only the flat-out insult was intended, that can be delivered easily. Since it WAS couched as humor, then the comment needs to be evaluated as a whole.

Added: Actually, I think kmboots' interpretation could be it as well.

Maybe, like many well-crafted jokes, it could be funny for many reasons depending on which figure in the tableux the hearer focuses.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

For Jebus's sake, of course you were saying it was accurate. There was no reason to add your "sadly" otherwise.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Nope. You're wrong.
vonk
Member # 9027

FYI, your earlier comment reads to me as if you believe that to be true. It also reads, to me, as an incredibly mean thing to say.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
A lot of humor does have a sting behind it. Stripping away the context to leave only the sting can be a shock. On the other hand, context matters.

It's a shame all the context is gone with the rest of the thread, then.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

It wasn't meant to be.

Have we really moved from an uproar over a misinterpreted joke to an uproar over a misinterpreted explanation of the joke?

vonk
Member # 9027

Well, to me, that was the only truely mean thing anyone has said directed at an individual so far. But, I'll move on. No need to continue.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Have we really moved from an uproar over a misinterpreted joke to an uproar over a misinterpreted explanation of the joke?
Yes.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Can I suggest rephrasing what you said so that it actually sounds anything like just a postulated explanation of the joke as opposed to a nasty insult?
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

No.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
[Deleted now unnecessary commentary.]

[ September 14, 2007, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

If only I had explained. Too bad that was the only thing said on the matter.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

It's also lamented (with the sadly). I don't see how that could be anything but the writer lamenting the fact that she is stating.

edit:

I've whistled it. I recommend other people do too.

Also, Matt, can I suggest that you remove the quote? If you address who you are talking to, I think it will be clear what you are talking about.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I know you don't.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
[Deleted now unnecessary commentary.]

[ September 14, 2007, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I think it's time to send in the clowns.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly it's time for Blayne to delete this thread... after copying all the nasty posts so he can use them against people in later discussions.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
It's also lamented (with the sadly). I don't see how that could be anything but the writer lamenting the fact that she is stating.

I've whistled it. I recommend other people do too.

I see at least one way and could probably come up with several others.

When I read it, I read it as Kat writing in the "voice" of the original poster of the man-crush gibe.

It's a technique you've used yourself in different contexts - stating something you don't believe in a way that you expect will be understood that you are not advocating the underlying sentiment.

If I go back and read it now, on its own, it doesn't read that way to me. But on the heels of a string of people writing ironic statements about Rabbit's posts, it did.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Yes.
Perfect.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to state that I have a man-crush on both Blayne and KoM, and that's not an insult to either of them because I'm a damn sexy hetero-man, and I don't just give out man crushes like larks tongues.

Hey sailors! [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

<expletive deleted before it was written> it. It's not perfect. Blayne gets some rough treatment here, much of which he deserves. That nasty statement (even granting that it is possible that it wasn't intended as an insult, which I don't see any way, I'm pretty sure that is will come across that way to him) is not something that he deserves and something that is going to hurt him. It should be removed. I've asked kat to restate it as something that won't come across as an insult.

I don't get how you don't think that that is important.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky: 'Not into dudes' is not an important part of my identity; indeed, I experimented a bit some years ago. However, 'into my wife' absolutely is an important part of my identity, thanks kindly.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I've asked kat to restate it as something that won't come across as an insult.

I don't get how you don't think that that is important.

Who is the last sentence addressed to?
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this doesn't sound cold-hearted or anything because its not meant to be.

I generally believe that an insult is only as offensive as the receiver makes it out to be. In a case like this where the comment was clearly meant as a joke, I think its up to the receiver to just not let the joke bother him.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
However, 'into my wife' absolutely is an important part of my identity, thanks kindly.
I'm not aware of anything that was said here or in the deleted thread that would call that into question.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That nasty statement (even granting that it is possible that it wasn't intended as an insult, which I don't see any way, I'm pretty sure that it will come across that way to him) is not something that he deserves and something that is going to hurt him. It should be removed.
This I absolutely and completely agree with. I believe kat when she says that it isn't what she actually thinks, but regardless of that I think that the person being so described would feel (understandably) hurt if he were to read it. I'd like you to delete it too, kat.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Okay, Noemon.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks kat, I appreciate it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

[Smile]
vonk
Member # 9027

Wow.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the real problem with this thread is that the initial attention to direct every one's attention was simply, well, misdirected. Obviously you should be paying attention to me. Did you know I can juggle five objects at once? Well I can.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
However, 'into my wife' absolutely is an important part of my identity, thanks kindly.
I'm not aware of anything that was said here or in the deleted thread that would call that into question.
But your judgement is not the relevant one.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
But can you juggle with your feet?
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.