FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stephen King's The Mist (trailer)

Author Topic: Stephen King's The Mist (trailer)
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834165/video/3906309/

It will be worth seeing because it's from Frank Darabont, one of the few directors who manages to capture the spirit of King's works.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear it's really disgustingly bloody. That's terrible, because I loved this story, have read it several times, and have been wishing for a movie version for years. I don't stomach fake gore well. For some reason, real-life gore doesn't bother me nearly so much.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the first piece of fiction I'd ever read by Stephen King so I was excited to hear it was being made into a movie.

So far it looks like they're handling it really well. A good balance between the horror outside and the danger within.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoiler that is in the trailer*

I'm pretty annoyed that Andre Braugher is again playing a bit character that dies quickly. Come on! I want to see Pembleton in action again!

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Darabont!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I will probably have to see this. Not typically the sort of movie I'd go see...but Frank Darabont...
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Coolness1
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the story a lot, but not sure it will hold up well to a 2 hour movie. Guess we shall see!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My first experience with the story was a story-on-tape, and I think it actually will translate well into a movie.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good. But trailers are rarely representative of the movie.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the dramatized audio version with the "3-d" sound effects you were supposed to listen to on headphones?

That's the only version of the story I know.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie yesterday. It may just be the best movie I've seen this year. I really, really liked it.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Really Toad?
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
I like the story a lot, but not sure it will hold up well to a 2 hour movie. Guess we shall see!

I like the story too. But the movie is weak.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find it to be weak by any means. I thought they did a very good job.

Obviously, no movie could truly grasp what the story does, but this came pretty close (for me at least).

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
*slight spoilers*

I liked the film, but obviously not as much as classic King adaptations like Stand By Me or The Shawshank Redemption. It ranks with Misery though. Maybe not?

I found the film genuinely creepy--I remember soon after seeing it I found myself driving on a particularly foggy night and I was quite freaked out.

I don't know how I feel about the film's ending. It gets you in the gut, sure, but I found it so extreme that I will certainly not be watching the film again. King's original ending would have been soooo much preferable, even if it would have led many in the audience to grumble.

But I liked the movie--it's certainly good for one solid viewing. And that shot of the super giant creature = amazing.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
I don't know how I feel about the film's ending. It gets you in the gut, sure, but I found it so extreme that I will certainly not be watching the film again. King's original ending would have been soooo much preferable, even if it would have led many in the audience to grumble.

I also got that vibe. It seemed as if they were trying to make the ending as visceral and depressing as possible. Here's hoping for alternate endings!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.