FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why in the world do we have nerves in our teeth?

Author Topic: Why in the world do we have nerves in our teeth?
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I had a root canal done today. I know, I know, without the nerves in my teeth I would have never known that my tooth was slowly rotting away, but still. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dead spot (nerve-wise) in my mouth for a while after my wisdom teeth adventure, and it REALLY threw me off.

I hope you feel better soon!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, root canals are not fun. I had to have about 5 of those a couple years back, and it was definitely not a pleasant experience.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually found my root canal to be pretty pleasant. At least, far less painful after the fact than getting fillings or a cap on my front tooth. My mom had some problems with hers, though, and she could still feel it afterward, but they were able to scoop out all the nerve bits in mine so I never felt anything in it again.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if our teeth could grow back too, even if it meant more chewing. link

Stupid teeth decay.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
They were able to scoop out all the nerve bits.

[Angst]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
They were able to scoop out all the nerve bits.

[Angst]
And she said that in the same post with the adjective "pleasant"!

*notes "sarcastic" in username*

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
The root canal I had was nothing compared to Gum reduction surgery.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to the dentist for the first time in over four years and found out I have nine cavities. I had the first two filled today. While the dentist was drilling, I felt an ache in the teeth he was drilling and a sharp pain in the corresponding teeth on the opposite side. I asked him about it afterward, and he didn't really have an answer. Anybody know what could cause this?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel lots of things I don't have answers for when the dentist is drilling my teeth. Like, are those bits of my tooth spattering my face and glasses, or just water? Could my entire throat really go completely numb, and if so, would I be able to swallow? How am I not screaming right now, or am I and I just can't hear it? Stuff like that.

It's always weird to realize I've been clenching my entire body in that chair. I have to consciously tell each muscle group to relax.

I've never requested the happy gas they offer. I don't like the idea of not having all my wits about me. I've never been under and I don't like the idea of it at all. I prefer full consciousness with a healthy dose of novacaine, even though it's hell. Anybody else like that?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to the dentist in a couple years, since I went off my parents'coverage and haven't been able to afford it, but I dread the day I go back, as I know I'm likely to get bad news.

But I too have always preferred novacaine. It hurts, but it never seemed like it was necessary to be put under. It doesn't hurt THAT much.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
When I had the leftover pieces of bone from the wisdom teeth surgery taken out of my jaw, I had the happy gas...and I have to say it didn't help too much. I still felt ultra mega pain when the guy gave me the giant evil numbing syringe in my throat. And although I was breathing as deeply as I could (and the blinds on the windows seemed to be rippling), I was still completely spazzing out that this man was cutting my mouth open and removing pieces of bone. I was even more freaked out when he showed them to me. And when he started sewing stitches. *cringe*

Ohhhh, bad memories.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't afford the dentist either and I have at least two teeth with cavities to the point it hurts to chew on that side sometimes. I'm sure I'll need pretty extensive (read painful) work done when we can finally afford it. I'm not looking forward to it.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Novocaine is my favorite drug. I can't imagine subjecting myself to drill-and-fill dentistry without it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out in a few months. I'm getting general anesthesia. There is no way I'm going to let them possibly break my jaw (which I've been told they may have to do) while I'm awake.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I had mine out with Novocaine only. I'm more afraid of general anesthesia than I am of general dentistry.

To each his own.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.