FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why are so many dentists men?

Author Topic: Why are so many dentists men?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was looking through the phone book the other day for a dentist, I didn't see one female name. Why is this particular field so devoid of women?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
No definitive answers, but I have heard that dentristry is often a family profession and that a huge percentage of dental students had a parent who was a dentist.

I'm not sure what that means, but it suggests to me that tradition is a big reason to get into it.

Anyone ever looked into how women choose career paths - whether they follow their mother or their father more?

If their mother, it could be that there are few female dentists now because there were few female dentists before.

Alternatively: You live in Utah, and being a dentist means many years of schooling and taking on lots of debt, but it's something (from what I gather from dentist friends) that few people actual dream of being. Rather, it's a career path chose specifically for the benefits (good hours, huge pay) it brings rather than the work itself.

Maybe women who don't see their role as the primary wage earner don't have a reason to choose dentistry.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
My dentist is a woman.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, mine in Dallas was also.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I found out way after the fact, that my mother switched dentists when I was a kid so that I would have a female dentist as a role model. Didn't do it with the family doc though.

She wanted one of us to be a doctor, one a dentist, and one an optomotrist... she struck out on all three counts, and ended up with 2 engineers and 1 career lifeguard. The lifeguard is an EMT, but that's as close as she got.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I did wonder if it was just that I live in Utah.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Statistics here:
http://www.spiritofcaring.com/public/488.cfm

Includes:
quote:
All active private practitioners:

# Male 82.8%, Female 17.2%

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
If I weren't too lazy to look for a link, I'd dobie this with adding an "a" into the last word.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
My last two dentists were women, and the one Bob goes to here (and I probaby will too if I ever get around to making an appointment) is too.

One big positive about women dentists is that they tend to have smaller hands.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just actually posting to say that that's how I read it, and that although many of my dentists have inflicted pain, I didn't think that they were actually mean.

But they have all been men. I've never had a female dentist. And I don't live in Utah.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently noticed the same thing. What's more, I don't think I've ever flown on a plane in my life with a female pilot. Is that weird, or is it just me?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Tradition / occupational discrimination (both active and fairweather) / vocational pursuit dissuasion / cultural upbringing patterns / gender socialization issues, all wrapped in a big taquito shell.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the dentist for the first time in about 10 years today. All three of the dentists were women, and I had no cavities to speak of. They were all in shock.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle's a dentist, and he recently hired a partner who's female.

One of my good friends from high school is dating a female dentist, though it's a family business for her.

In other words, I think the field is just a few years behind in gender equality. In ten years I don't think it'll be very hard to find a female dentist.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the reason most of the dentists you're seeing as male is because men are more likely to own their own practice.

Everyone in my family used to go to a different dental practice (I now go to the one my mom does). My dad's is three male dentists in one office, father and two sons. Mine was a man and three women but he owned it and was listed in the phonebook, it was a children's dentist clinic that later switched to just orthodontics. My mom's is one woman, who owns it herself, her father was a dentist but not here.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
My dentist in California was big old school guy who didn't use gloves. This was 2004. No gloves! It was thrilling. He didn't know me from Adam, yet he'd dig in there with his huge hands like he were taking a hill. There was something heroic about the way he practiced dentistry.

Irami: I haven't been to a dentist in six or seven years. I brush and rinse at least twice a day and I carry a kit with me in my bag. I just kind of wanted some teeth whitening.

Dentist: Your teeth are plenty white.

Irami: uh...okay.

It was surreal. I don't know who was crazier, him or me for thinking he was the coolest dentist ever. At the end of the check-ups, I felt as though I'd completed a ropes course.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
My dentist in California was big old school guy who didn't use gloves. This was 2004. No gloves! It was thrilling. He didn't know me from Adam, yet he'd dig in there with his huge hands like he were taking a hill.

This is why I don't trust dentists. What a perverse career. Sticking your fingers in other people's mouths like that. Geuh.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
My last dentist was a woman. And Asian, so her hands were really small. She was in up to her wrists.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it important that there be complete gender equality in the field? Should we be encouraging more girls/women to become dentists in particular, or is this just a small part of the bigger gender equality picture?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason that there are less women dentists than men dentists is the same reason there are less women in "professional" fields in general: men have less babies than women.

Ta da.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of think they have exactly the same number.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the better way to phrase that is that couples decide the women will stay home to take care of that baby more often than they decide the man will stay home.

The odd number around here are the number of male dentists married to female dermatologists. Every time I see a sign around here for a dentist, the office is attached to a dermatologist's office, and they are always married. Maybe dentists are just naturally attracted to dermatologists?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
porcelain girl: at the very least, that would not explain why there are far, far fewer women in dentistry than in other professional fields, even if it was a reasonable explanation in general.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
3 of the last 4 dentists I have been to were women. At my current practice, it's one man and two women. The man started the practice, then his daughter followed him into the profession and joined, and then they had a hygienist work her way through dental school with them and join. They supported her greatly through the process, I believe.

Anyway, I do think it's a field where parental role-modeling makes a big difference. Who grows up wanting to be a dentist? Someone who sees that their Dad has a pretty easy job, enjoys his work, makes plenty of money, and can set his own hours. Following your father into the family business is a "traditional" thing to do, and I think that many women who go into "non-traditional" business get their through non-traditional career paths. As women are more accepted in the professions now, I think that's less and less likely to be true, and so agree with JT that you'll see more and more female dentists in the next decade or so.

However, since it is a profession where people tend to have their own small practices, I also agree that you won't see as many women in solo practice. If a woman wants to have children at all, she can't be the only dentist in the office. Not only because she couldn't maintain her client base while on maternity leave, but also because an office with one dentist probably has 2 hygienists, a receptionist, and an office manager all dependent on the dentist being working to pay their salaries.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it balances out with women optometrists. You don't have to touch anyone and the hours are amenable. I wouldn't be surprised if, under forty, the field is overflowing with women.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
porcelain girl: at the very least, that would not explain why there are far, far fewer women in dentistry than in other professional fields, even if it was a reasonable explanation in general.

No, it DOES explain it the same way that it explains why the majority of the time hunter gatherer societies had a division of labor based on gender, with women doing most of the gathering.

Lawyers and doctors go to school an incredibly long time. Many women get pregnant within that timeframe of their lives, and many choose to postpone or cancel professional plans while bearing, nursing, and raising children. That is also what I meant by "men have less babies." They don't give birth. Having as in the delivering, not the parenting.

Women used to also have a hard time being accepted socially into these fields, and even though many women have pressed onward and have changed society's outlook on things, we had a lot of catching up to do.

I am in no way saying there aren't valid female professionals, nor am I saying women shouldn't pursue careers. It is just a fact that there are less women in those fields that require an extra 4 to 6 years of school, and I believe being the only sex that can give birth and that has been traditionally accepted as the primary caretaker has a lot to do with that. Or at least it had in the not too distant past.

Things ARE changing, but remember that far more people are going to college in general than were fifty years ago.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you understood my point at all.

There are more women lawyers and women doctors than there are women dentists. Even if your explanation for the general differential is correct, there is still unexplained difference between lawyers/doctors and dentists.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5OJ3RgF0N8

Obligatory link...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
I don't think you understood my point at all.

There are more women lawyers and women doctors than there are women dentists. Even if your explanation for the general differential is correct, there is still unexplained difference between lawyers/doctors and dentists.

Oh, that is simple enough. Refer to my original post: dentistry is perverse. Men are far more prone to be perverted than women.
[/slice.]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
One point to consider is there is not a school of dentistry in Utah, so anyone who is practicing in Utah had to make a conscious decision to come there. So added into all the other social factors, you have to look at those 17% of women dentists that exist and ask how many of them want to practice in Utah.

That said, my children's first dentist (in Utah) was a woman, but then she retired.

In addition to all the other status and success issues, the fact that dentists are not well liked could be another reason for the lack of females in the field. Unless no one else here thinks women care more about being liked.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
My last dentist was female, and she had large, fumbly hands. I found her highly unpleasant.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My last two dentists have been female. My current one (which I like very much) went into the field 'cuz it was a family thing (her dad or granddad was a dentist, and she is following in his footsteps.) She has photos/articles about his practice all over her waiting room. Obviously highly respected him.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Faye Kellerman is a dentist.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.