FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Steve Fossett is missing.

Author Topic: Steve Fossett is missing.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The first man to circumnavigate the earth in a balloon without stopping has dissappeared. NY Times article
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
That happened 17 days ago and they have already called off the search and pronounced him 'as likely to turn up alive as Jimmy Hoffa'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard that they'd given up the search. I thought there were still a few people hoping against hope.

And Jimmy Hoffa turns up all the time, in the news, around here anyway. Every few months they dig up a farm or house somewhere around here with 'credible evidence' that they've at last found his true resting place. And then my mom tells the inevitable story about how the mobster questioned by the FBI linked to his disappearance claimed to be out of the state when the incident happened but she waited on him at the bank that morning.

Anyway, I'd be mildly surprised at this point if they find him. There was already a massive manhunt that went on for more than a week.

We can take solace in the fact that his accomplishments will earn him a place in the history books, and he pushed the envelope of human discovery and pioneering. Like many a good adventurer, it seems to have cost him his life, but perhaps that's the way he would have wanted to go.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
He was an awesome man and the world needed more people like him and I'm sure he died doing what he loved.

Err, actually, I'm sure he was doing what he loved and then died doing what he would have rather liked to have loved doing right with no problems but probably did not enjoy while something was going wrong.

That, or he just made a clean getaway.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.