FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Self Betterment

Author Topic: Self Betterment
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that I have a lot of time where I am doing absolutely nothing but listening to the same audiobook again (cause you can only get 2 a month from audible without paying more) or rewatching the same show, or just laying around. I don't really need to study that much because my memory is good enough that I can just read over the material once and remember it.

As a result of this I decided to try to find legal and free audiobooks, which are considered classics. Philosophy texts, simple classics which have historical or cultural value, educational ones, etc. I succeeded thanks to Google, podcasts, and a ton of classics being in public domain. The reason the audio versions are free and legal is thanks to some websites which allow for "teaser" audiobooks to demonstrate their website, but are FULL books. As well podcasts help.

I now have:
Treasure Island
Art of War
Call of the Wild
Greek Myths
Alice in Wonderland
War of the Worlds
The Republic
Philosophy: The Classics
Heart of Darkness
Frankenstein (I've actually read this one, but it is still nice to have)
Aesop's Fables
The Time Machine

This is in addition to the many audiobooks which I already have from audible. Unfortunately thanks to "legal" reasons I couldn't get anything by Heinlein. [Grumble]

If you guys want the sites then feel free to ask.

The places I got it from are all legal, in case you are worried.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Project Gutenberg has several volunteer read audiobooks of public domain works. As these are volunteers reading, not professionals, the quality varies from book to book, but there are some very fun titles.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to listen to the Great Courses audios from The Learning Company, but they're too expensive. But yes I could use commute time or housework time or even exercise time to do this and it would be great! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to audiobooks while I spin, since I'm new enough at that that I still have to watch my hands, so TV is out. But it's usually stuff like World War Z [Wink] I suppose I should try listening to something a little more intellectual now and then.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Amilia, I love you.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
:-)
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.