FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Paying my credit card (mayfly)

Author Topic: Paying my credit card (mayfly)
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first credit card a few weeks ago. I wanted something where I could earn rewards and just to start learning to be responsible for it.

Because of when I set it up and the days I picked for payment, my first billing cycle is over a month, close to two really. So the balance has been building up and is due around the time of my mid-month paycheck.

Instead of paying off the current balance once a month, I'd like to do it with every paycheck (twice a month). My credit card is linked with my other bank accounts and so I have the option to pay online straight out of my checking account.

So maybe this is a stupid question, but am I allowed to pay off my credit card balance whenever I want, not just when my bill comes in the mail? It seems like credit card companies have 101 ways to penalize people and I wouldn't want to get charged for paying early or too often.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You can pay it any time.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can pay any amount, any time, with no penalty.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
You should check to make sure they don't have any fees for paying online (they usually don't), but as long as your card doesn't have a yearly rate or some other fees, there should not be a penalty for early payment. I almost always pay my credit cards online, and usually early, and they've never penalized me for it.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, double check with the rules, sometimes they sneak hidden fees in there, but you should be able to pay whenever you want with no penalties or problems.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answers! This should making my money management SOO much easier.

My card is through the bank I work at and free online payment is one of the promotions we were pushing last week. So I should be good there!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe CT popularized the term circa 2004.

Oops. Wrong thread.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, you can pay any amount, any time, with no penalty.
quote:
but you should be able to pay whenever you want with no penalties or problems.
Unless you pay late. Or you pay below the minimum. They do frown on that.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I once paid my bill and then realized that I would be out of town for the next bill, so a week later, I mailed in a second check. I was then gone for a month and on my next bill had a charge. The second check had arrived before the second bill was printed. They counted that as not paying for the second month and the charges ended up being more than the balance. Of course, when I called and explained, they fixed it. Just another situation to watch for- always pay once during the cycle, no matter how many times you paid in the prior cycle.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.