FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Perhaps I should have started here.

Author Topic: Perhaps I should have started here.
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I am what you might call the quintessential "noob".

I almost began what will hopefully be a long and enjoyable sting on hatrack by posting meaningless random opinions in many different forums leaving people to beg the question, "Pray tell, who is this?"

I must say that I personally advice against this, and am trying to keep random ranting and raving to a minimum.

Hopefully this will be a learning experience to help me improve my writing, grammar, etc, as well as generally being accepted into what I consider a very wise and close internet community dedicated to one of my favorite authors.

I understand that my grammar is less than impeccable, but such things are inconsequential when my entire message was to say "hi, ya'll!"

Perhaps to sum it up all I merely wish for is to meet many of you and generally learn better the flow of hatrack. I have been "ghosting" for several months now so hopefully that will help on some level.

Introduce yourselves! Don't be shy, now. Although responding to such a random and odd topic is surely hard...

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! When I got here, I did just start posting opinions in threads without a formal introduction, and that worked fine. I think people will get to know you quicker if you do one of these threads, though.

So, what brought you here?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

What brought me here was a severe love of Orson Scott Card, a very wise and loving older sister, and severe boredom.

And perhaps most preeminent a longing to talk to those of a higher intellect, whether the chosen line of conversation is random gabbing or taut religious discussion.

And I feel that I have made a wrong note in the thread "Christian rally against gays." My apologies. And thanks!

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

Thank you, Tatiana! Two replies in under five minutes. NOW I'm feeling so very special...

Of course usually in these forums I must make sure to bring my opinions across carefully so as to feel "yay, they like me!" special, as opposed to "this helmet is too tight," special.

Vyrus
Member # 10525

I must leave now, as proper sleep bades me to do so. Goodbye, my (now) fellow Hatrackers.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy Vyrus.

I wouldn't worry so much about your grammar, if I were you. Your grammar is fine.

[ September 30, 2007, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Vyrus! Hope you like the place.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Vyrus. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy! [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"hi, ya'll!"
Welcome Vyrus! Are you southern? Or, are you just enlightened enough to use a perfectly acceptable and useful second person plural pronoun?

Your grammar and spelling are fine. Don't get worked up about it, I make all kinds of mistakes in my posts which is funny, as I'm studying to become an English teacher. [Razz]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Vyrus! I hope you enjoy the community here as much as many of us do.

One word of advice (take this as being the constructive criticism I intend it to be), big words and rather formal sentence structure aren't required here to fit in and be respected. I know you may want to prove your maturity by using them, but we don't want to know that you can do that, we want to know you. So relax and have fun, you'll be a great addition to Hatrack!

If that means the occasional misspelling or grammatical mistake, no biggie. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, Vyrus! Welcome to Hatrack.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
""this helmet is too tight," special"

Man, I HATE it when my helmet is too tight... [Big Grin]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack. Looking forward to seeing your voice in future threads.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you like some nachos? *offers nachos*
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

One word of advice (take this as being the constructive criticism I intend it to be), big words and rather formal sentence structure aren't required here to fit in and be respected. I know you may want to prove your maturity by using them, but we don't want to know that you can do that, we want to know you. So relax and have fun, you'll be a great addition to Hatrack!

Concatenations! Salacious use of verbiage is required! Upon whom arraignest thou derision?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
quote:

Concatenations! Salacious use of verbiage is required! Upon whom arraignest thou derision?
You. So there. [Razz]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I got everything but Concatenations...*runs to Google*

Welcome Vyrus! Thanks for stirring things up a bit! Pay no attention to the large Moose behind the curtain... [Monkeys]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself just started posting in opinion threads and worked my way out. The occasional landmark thread, can help people get to know YOU as a person, which often times leads to greater understanding of why you feel the way you do.

Linky to the landmark thread archive, read the sticky thread at the top for a what is a landmark explanation.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a severe love of Orson Scott Card
[Angst]

Don't get me wrong, Card is my favorite author. I just thought it was a funny use of the word severe.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I do hope you're not a real virus. *trembles*

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like Lennie Small's severe love of mice, puppies, and pretty women?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
""this helmet is too tight," special"

Man, I HATE it when my helmet is too tight... [Big Grin]

Some people in tight helmets have worse luck than others.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

O_o A mere few days gone and so many responses!! I feel so special thank ya'll.

To Belle: I'm more Sudder'n de'n a two legged horse in a barrel full of snakes. I was raised in Mississippi and currently reside in the Bellaire district of Houston ["H-Tizzle"] Texas.

As for Bokonon thanks for the constructive critcism! And I know that I tend to use big words but it's rather just the way that I speak rather than my way of trying to prove my maturity...although believe me I will slip out of it from time to time due ot severe laziness and other things.

And I tend to repeat myself.

And I tend to repeat myself.

To the respective Steves: steve, yes I know and it's always so horrible when you keep your food in there and then it begins to stink and makes your hair rather matted...SteveRogers....MY NACHOS!!!111 MINE!!1111 Oh, yes, such beautiful NaChOs [Big Grin]

Pooka: yes, I have odd usage of words. I don't know what for it's just the way dat I be speakin and such naawmean?

[GOOD LORd! and she was so eloquent mere moments ago!]

Shan I am not a real virus...nor am I infectious...unless you count love ^_^

And to all the rest of you thank you for posting and welcoming me; the reason I used this format in my reply is that I'm quite random and don't know how to quote that many people but thank all of you...

I might still be learning the navigation of this site but I really want an excuse to use this emoticon: [The Wave]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for Bokonon thanks for the constructive critcism! And I know that I tend to use big words but it's rather just the way that I speak rather than my way of trying to prove my maturity...although believe me I will slip out of it from time to time due ot severe laziness and other things.
When I was in 7th grade, my English teacher told my mom that she thought I had an attitude problem becuase I had such a wide vocabulary, I used a lot of big words (or at least, bigger words than she was used to hearing from a 7th grade I guess) and she thought I was being smug or sarcastic I guess. So my mom laughed and calmy told her that I read like two books a week and that's just how I talk.

I think your vocabulary is fine, though I almost posted exactly the same post as Bok regarding your formality, but I think that the more familiar you become, the less formal you'll be. Either that or we'll just get used to it [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Vyrus. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

claudiatherese:I don't believe in capitalization.

Lol jk thank you! Hi.

Lyrhawn: I probably will I slip in and out of it...wait I've already said that.

I have the tendency to repeat to repeat myself.

^.^

Vyrus
Member # 10525

claudiatherese:I don't believe in capitalization of names.

Lol jk thank you! Hi.

Lyrhawn: I probably will I slip in and out of it...wait I've already said that.

I have the tendency to repeat to repeat myself.

^.^

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.