FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Radiohead Album (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Radiohead Album
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
LP7 is due out in 10 days. (Maybe)

And, ostensibly, for free. Unless you want the sweet boxed set. Count me in for 40 pounds.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man! I can't wait!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy. What? Yes. Good news.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

The price of the downloadable version? "It's up to you." Folks, you set your own price. You can pay whatever you feel it's worth. This is awesome. I'd like to see this become the model for everything everywhere.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, this is exciting. And a very interesting experiment to boot... Radiohead are essentially giving the finger to the record industry with this move. They're probably the only band in the world today who have the combined influence and cojones to pull this off.

And DAMN. Eighteen tracks? Including just about every single song they premiered last year? And they bring back both "Up On the Ladder" AND "Reckoner"?

Awwwwwwwwesome.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, this is cool.

Must. Get. Boxed. Set.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Radiohead, but let's not pretend that they're the first popular group to do the "download our album, pay what you want" thing.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I don't think anyone has said that. But now, out of curiosity, who else has done it?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

How much do you guys think is fair? And what's the exchange rate nowadays anyway? 2 to 1?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I think I'm going to go 5 pounds. If nobody pays anything Radiohead will go away. They'll have to get jobs washing dishes or something. We can't let that happen.

It wasn't clear to me if you buy the boxed set do you get to download on the 10th like everyone else or do you have to wait until it arrives at your door much later? Surely you get the download code first, don't you?

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The site is really slow and really weird. I don't know if I ordered it or not. I guess I'll wait and see if I get a confirming email.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
I don't think anyone has said that. But now, out of curiosity, who else has done it?

A number of indie labels have done it, or something similar. For example, Bomb the Music Industry!'s label posts all of their releases as MP3 downloads for free, and then just has a donations button on the website. Harvey Danger's most recent album, "Little By Little," was released the same way. But I think Radiohead may be the first to offer both a super-delux expensive edition coupled with a downloadable version for which you can choose your price. It's an interesting (and dare I say quite brilliant) twist on the concept, as they'll still make plenty of money from hardcore fans while simultaneously ensuring massive dissemination of the "free" version of the album. A win-win situation for artist and customer alike- the only people who get screwed are the record labels. As it should be.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Radiohead would also be one of the first to potentially lose a goodly amount of money with this experiment.

Composer Bob Ostertag also provides all of his music free of charge, as do many composers who may or may not have attracted record label attention (most don't).

Now I wouldn't pay a dollar for a piece by Bob Ostertag, but quite a few people have, so he does lose money.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think Radiohead is more in a position to pull off something like this. But good on them for getting there, they certainly did alot of work towards getting so much control of their music. I'll have to give it a look see and then decide how much to pay, they've certainly given me enough musical joy that I can give them more of my money without hesitation.

I'm glad somebody mentioned Harvey Danger's "Little by Little" album. I was very proud of them for taking that route, I wish more people had recognized their musicianship beyond just the obvious singles.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge Radiohead fan and have followed the new album development very closely, and was shocked to hear the news today. Absolutely stunned. But it's pretty awesome, and it'll be interesting to see how it works out for them. It'd be cool if they released stats on how many people paid for the album, and what amount. But it's hard to imagine them losing money - compared to the middling amount they got from the record company, they could probably sell far fewer albums and still make as much money. Meanwhile they generate huge interest in their live shows, which will inevitably be huge in sales next year, whenever they decide to tour.

Anywho, I ordered the sweet box set, though for $80 it would be nice if I had a turntable.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

quote:
Originally posted by BryanP:

Anywho, I ordered the sweet box set, though for $80 it would be nice if I had a turntable.

I feel for you. Well, I would, but I moved in with a DJ not too long ago. Vinyl City, here I come.

I guess you can always eBay the vinyl.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Nah, I'll keep the wax just in case I ever happen upon a cheap turntable.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

Right on. $80 well spent.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Any word on what the bitrate is for those downloads?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

No word yet. Suitably high, one would reckon. Why release low-quality audio in such a campaign when bootleggers would do it for free?
Speed
Member # 5162

Well, that's what you'd think. But iTunes has made billions doing exactly that.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Fusiachi:
No word yet. Suitably high, one would reckon. Why release low-quality audio in such a campaign when bootleggers would do it for free?

Because it's legal?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Any word on what the bitrate is for those downloads?

Radiohead just recently made their albums available for download on 7digital and Amazon, and they're available in 256 kbps or higher, so I'm expecting something similar. It'd be nice if they offered a lossless option, but they probably don't have the server capacity. I'm nervous about how easy it will be to download next week and if their servers will hold up.
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Their website was already having trouble coping with the number of preorders in the last couple days. I doubt they'll try releasing a lossless copy. It would be sweet though if they did.

There's no way they're going to lose money this year. They already sell out everywhere they go.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Loreena McKennitt is the only artist I know who offers lossless album downloads from her website. Of course, you could generally buy the CDs cheaper at Amazon or Best Buy, but it's still a nice gesture.
BryanP
Member # 7772

One more day....

Sounds like the album will come in a ZIP file around 50 MB with songs in 160 kbps mp3. Not as high as I would've hoped, but it'll do.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
In preparation for the album I've listened over the last two days to every single one of their albums and 90% of their b-sides. I've also heard a bunch of live performances of their songs.

There is a live version of "Exit Music" that I think is better then the album version.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just spent $80 and I'm pretty psyched about it.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I ordered the download tonight and paid for it. (I don't want Radiohead to quit making records, so I figure those of us who can afford it need to pay something.) I'm so excited! I can't wait to hear it. [Smile]
TL
Member # 8124

I can't believe how much I love this album. Well, I guess it could have been predicted, considering how big a Radiohead fan I am.... But. I just wasn't expecting it to be so warm and glowy after the harshness of Hail to the Thief. It is a beautiful surprise.
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
This wasn't what I was expecting at all. But I like it. Quite possibly a lot -- I need to listen to this again.

(And again.)

(And again...)

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Wow. Amazing album. I've been a big Radiohead fan for a long time, but this is exceeding my expectations, even after being familiar with the bootlegs. It's gorgeous.

Only thing I'm not sure about so far is Videotape, it's sort of a disquieting ending and I'm not sure how it fits in with the album. But it's a good song.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, what a good album. It just kept getting better and better. I love the tone of the songs. It's like they were pulled from some golden age of rock and roll that everyone forgot about. Radiohead found their roots again. I'm going to listen to this again and again just to soak it up. And I can't wait for the rest of the songs.

My favorites after 1 listen are House of Cards and Jigsaw Falling into Place, although every song after Bodysnatchers is potentially a favorite. Wow.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Been listening to it at work all day on repeat.

While surprising at first, I think 15 Step is in my favorites. I also like Nude and Jigsaw Falling into Place.

I'd rate the album a bit better than Thief; definitely a bit more Kid A-ish.

(Paid 4 quid for it)

-Bok

EDIT: I agree about the ending, but I feel like most Radiohead albums are like sparklers: burst into flame at the start, but then fizzle out. I think that's sort of Radiohead's thing, and so I don't expect some bombastic song to finish an album of theirs.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:

(Paid 4 quid for it)

-Bok

Good! I was worried I'd be the only one, and people would look at me funny. [Smile] But I really do love Radiohead, and I think their music is worth something, and if I don't pay for it, then how can they afford to make more? I'm just glad that this way, all my money goes to the artists themselves and I'm not lining the pockets of some tasteless music industry exec. I mean, if popular music today is their doing, then they definitely all need to get new jobs.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my friends will be paying, as they are at least as big fans as me. Though I let them get the songs from me, since Radiohead's server appears to be down for some (all) people, and they can't add it to their cart or anything.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Hey, I'm wondering if someone here can help me out.

I paid for the big $80 box set. and when i went to download it today, the download never started up. When i tried clicking on the link again it said the activation code had already been used and to contact the support people. They haven't gotten back to me since i emailed them this morning.

If anybody would be so kind as to send me the album via usendit or put it up on ftp or something like that, I would greatly appreciate it. I've paid for it, so I don't think there's anything morally wrong with it.

Thanks!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

I will zip this up and send it to you, posthaste.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Lime I had the exact same problem, could you do me the same favor?
Lime
Member # 1707

Sure! I've got to leave work soon, so I'll have to send it after I get home (in ~ an hour). But I will do that as soon as I get home.

I'll even throw in a .zip of excellent live versions from the album. I haven't listened to it yet, so I'm taking someone else's word for it. But should be good stuff regardless.

I listened to In Rainbows again over lunch and am loving it. I'm really glad I bought the discbox now.

ETA: Wait, I'm dumb. I'll just send you the link, Blackblade.

Fusiachi
Member # 7376

Yet another terrific album. It's been looping here all day. Not going to stop anytime soon.

Excited for disc two & the vinyls to arrive.

Only complaint? The kids in 15 step. And maybe the lack of guitar in videotape. But they turned out well, all the same.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

My download worked right away. I think they're having some technical glitches, though.

I'll be glad to send it to anyone who has problems.

I love the harmonies in Reckoner. So far I like it a lot but I can't tell much more until I've listened for a while.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Well, that's what you'd think. But iTunes has made billions doing exactly that.

Itunes is finally raising bit rates and starting to offer non-ddrm content. I've been able to secure some 320kbps tracks from itunes from the group Autechre, but it seems to be an exceptional case because it's electronic music with a very high production standard and fidelity requirements for the pieces to be passable alternatives to illegal sharing or buying the album on CD.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oh, btw, could someone post or send a link to me for the download? I've got most all the tracks from live performances from nearly a year ago, but I'm looking forward to the studio tracks.

it's my username at gee mail.

Strider
Member # 1807

Lime, you're awesome, thanks.

I've listened to it one time and love it, but i'm not forming any more concrete thoughts till a second listen through.

And go figure. Right after I finished listening to it I finally get a response from them with a link to a working download!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Just started listening. I'll be glossing over the album at least once or twice while at work tomorrow. Impressions will follow. [Big Grin]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Well, it appears they were offering it for a little while, and now they aren't anymore - or at least, inrainbows.com now requires a login to even view the page, and radiohead.com redirects directly to the blog. I can't find a way to buy access to the DL anymore.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Well, it appears they were offering it for a little while, and now they aren't anymore - or at least, inrainbows.com now requires a login to even view the page, and radiohead.com redirects directly to the blog. I can't find a way to buy access to the DL anymore.

If you intend on sending some intarnet bux their way I'd be happy to send you the yousendit link to the album. Lime already hosted it.

edit: AHA! "Nude" is actually a song they wrote some time ago but only played live as far as I know. It was listed as "Big Ideas."

Strider: If you listened through that stuff I sent you, you should find it in there somewhere.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

I do, but don't give me the link just yet - it may be a temporary thing.

If not, maybe it'll be available for purchase in CD form that isn't the $80 box set, eventually.

Thank you, though! I may take you up on it later.

Strider
Member # 1807

Blackblade, what was in there? I just went through everything I got from you and none of the tracks from the new album where there.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.