FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rosetta Stone language program

Author Topic: Rosetta Stone language program
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here ever used Rosetta before? I recieved a demo at the mall one day and have started thinking about picking up another language. I'd be reluctant to spend money on it, but from what I've heard, it's pretty good.

If anyone has experience with it, your thoughts are welcome.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you made this thread, I was planning on getting it this summer to learn Latin. I am also wondering if their Greek thing is ancient greek or modern.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, Rosetta Stone is incredibly effective as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort. A woman I used to work with has a son that learned Russian fluently enough to be a translater in just two years - due mostly to Rosetta.

[ October 02, 2007, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: rollainm ]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
My public library has a subscription to it (for a limited set of languages and only the first few levels). What I think is effective about it is the way it combines pictures, sound and text and how the lessons build. It seems quite good for at least getting the basics. I always thought the first two semesters of language instruction go way too slow -- and Rosetta Stone seems to cover much of what you would get in the first year.

Of course, nothing beats daily involvement with the language and esp. living somewhere where the language is spoken. I really wish I had done study abroad in Germany. My reading comprehension is decent, but my spoken and colloquial is horrible.

Also: if you are disciplined and motivated the 3 month subscription isn't insanely expensive. That may be just enough to get up to speed if you then have ways to keep going with the learning afterwards.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have universities nearby, check out their foreign language departments and see what opportunities there are for you to practice the language. UAB has language tables, for example, where you can eat lunch and converse only in that language - open to everyone, not just students.

If you do try to learn a language on your own, you really want to find an opportunity to speak it and preferably hear it spoken by native speakers as much as possible.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
I used it on a daily basis for a few years. It is really good for learning how to read and listen to the language. You need to make sure to use all the different modes for the lessons, though, in order to have a balance of reading and listening.

Overall, it won't teach you to speak the language, but it will give you a decent understanding of the language. (Although some versions do try to grade you on speaking, it still won't teach you any formal grammar or explain the nuances of a language. You should expect to sound very odd to a native speaker.)

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister has been using it also as a provided service of the public library. She seems to like it a lot. Would have cost around $200 I think if she had to buy it direct.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually used it, although I know my Revitalising Languages prof pointed us to it. She seems to think that it is good and effective.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I'm glad you made this thread, I was planning on getting it this summer to learn Latin. I am also wondering if their Greek thing is ancient greek or modern.

I'm 90% sure it's modern. For ancient, they like to have people use books, mostly because of the wildly-raging pronunciation debate.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.