FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » China! Tomorrow! Help!

Author Topic: China! Tomorrow! Help!
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
So my Dad and his wife are adopting a girl from China and my sister and I will be accompanying them. We're spending about a week each in Beijing and Nanchang. Assuming I'm starting from practically complete China ignorance, what should I know about getting around? What do we need to see / do while we're there? (I think the agency has set up Great Wall / Summer Palace / Tiananmen Square / Forbidden City tours.) Any suggestions for a book to get for the plane ride?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but it's awesome that they are adopting.
I'll see if I can look something up later on.

have they read a lot about attachment?
How old is the child they are adopting?
Mostly there is Lost Little Girls of China to consider, but they might have read that already. How about the Ender series? Especially Xenocide because I am reading that now... Or a phrase book of useful chinese phrases in Mandarin and Cantonese should be useful.

[ October 03, 2007, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Dad's wife's a pysch grad student, I think she's all over that stuff.

Nigan is about 18 months now.

Cool, that book looks perfect. I'll check if they have it.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My family is all Hong Kong/ Shanghai. I got so sick of the tour food. They wanted it to appeal to Americans, so it wasn't authentic- sweet and sour pork at every meal. So, if someone can recommend a good restaurant with real Chinese food, that might be good.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, sounds like you don't have much leeway to do much outside of the tour program. Not that that tour sounds boring, in fact I'd love to see all those places again. There's nothing like Roger Moore, of 007 telling me about the majesty of the Forbidden City. Expect your tour guide to be a temporary member of the family the moment you set foot outside the hotel. If your tour guide is open to the idea try asking him/her what THEIR favorite restaurants are in Beijing and eat there. If you want to shy from authentic Chinese food and could really go for some Mcdonalds or something American they can take you to those places too.

Ask the tour guide if the Beijing night market still operates and try to go there for a few knickknacks. Make sure you bargain with the people selling if you can. [Big Grin]

TBH Beijing will be quite a bit different then when I have visited. The Olympic preparations have changed many things there. Also be prepared for very congested traffic. If you can avoid traveling during peak hours it might be worth your while to wake up bright and early and be at the places you are visiting the moment they open, most Chinese people have NO problem getting up early.

I'm rereading State of Fear by Crichton, I really enjoy it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.