FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: House
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I figure this show deserves a thread.

Also, did anyone else LOVE the Schrodinger's Cat joke?

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't we already have at least one thread on this show?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
One

Two

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
The schroedinger reference seemed verrry forced. He used it to say someone could be in two places at once... but the schroedinger's cat is about the cat being in different states, in a known place (the box). But I guess it works to say that if you don't know where someone is they could be anywhere... Anyone care to expunge? my thoughts on the reference?
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I thought he meant to say "Well, he's either alive or dead."

Which is a very House thing to say. Because you see, he doesn't care. (Unless, of course, it inconveniences him.)

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading your comments, I got really confused until I remembered the episode I just watched was on the S3 DVDs, not TV. [Smile]

I liked seeing Jacob Carter with House. Should be an interesting dynamic.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
which episode was this tell telll me tell mee!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I am hoping that Kal Penn stays on, and I think they are setting it up. He was great in The Namesake.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
We're talking about the second episode of the fourth season. It aired yesterday in the US.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it was interesting to see why the ducklings were still on the credits. I was assuming that their contracts expired and they didn't renew. Not so much, apparently.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Show is so good [Cool]
Dude

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised not to see any comments about the whole LDS/Tequila thing.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the end of last season. What happened? Did Chase, Cameron and Foreman all get fed up at the same time? I suppose I should go check one of those other threads kq linked to.

ETA: nope, the answer's not on those threads.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Foreman was leaving because he hated the person House is and didn't want to turn into him. House was upset by this - although with House you can never be certain - and ended up firing Chase under the premise that Chase had been there the longest and no longer had anything to learn. And at the end of the episode, Cameron gave House her resignation letter.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks, Jhai. I remember the Foreman not wanting to turn into House part, but for some reason I thought he'd been talked out of resigning. But I never seem to watch House episodes in sequence, so my understanding of the story arc tends to be spotty, at best. (So far this season I watched episode 2 when it aired, then saw episode 1 on USA after that.)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, Lisa, we had a big discussion about it over on Nauvoo, if you want to go read it. [Smile]

Or I can sum up:

Some of us thought it was a decision we would have made, some thought it was a decision we would not have made, most of us thought the religion was treated with respect (except House's in-character offensive snark) and our biggest nitpick was with a grammatical issue.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Thanks, KQ. That's interesting.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, most LDS who have watched the show were glad it represented an intelligent and self-willed character who is rather conservative and religious. That is something you almost never see for ANY religious character. That it was a Mormon character, at least for Mormons, was doubly satisfying.

As for the drinking incident, it boils more down to the thinking process (hard to tell and that is probably the point) rather than the act that made the decision good or bad. For instance, what if alcohol is safer than drinking water? Would it be used for taking the Sacrament? That is more likely to exist than saving a life.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the first couple of episodes this season. Last year the show seemed a little bogged down with all the personal stuff and general angst going on between the characters - new people bring a new energy to the situation.

It feels more like the first season again.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for anyone who is following this show, and I am not enough fan myself to watch it, what exactly happened to lead up to Chase hitting House? I know what was said, but not why it came to the blow.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
House was conviced that Chase would never actually stand up to him. And hence deserved to be fired. Another nurse made a bet of 100$ that chase would eventually stand up for himself. House was as abusive as possible. It eventually came to Chase hitting house thereby saving his job, and losing house 100$.

Next question, do you think he'll be fired in episodes to come?

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, that wasn't Chase. That was the LDS black dude. And it wasn't a nurse, either, it was Cameron.
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected and now will go hang my head in shame and embarrassment, wait a month for this thread to truly die and be beyond memory, and then maybe post again.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was the LDS black dude
His name is Cole
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want to pick the winning three?

My guess: the two girls and the Indian. Or, as FG would say, Lawrence, Amber and "13." I think Cole and Chris (aka aggravating Plastic Surgeon) are too one-dimensional, simply foils for House. And Travis (aka Doctors without Borders) hasn't, so far as I can tell, done anything. Maybe that makes him the sleeper, but I think it makes him easy meat.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

He has a name? I don't know any of the new people's names. I just call them by House's nicknames for them so far. I don't want to get too invested. 'Cause you know they're all gonna be gone soon.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Cameron even used it (his name) when she made the bet with House. Said "you're pushing Cole too hard" or something like that.

But yeah, their names are listed at http://www.fox.com/house/ (except for the elusive "thirteen")

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I knew he had a name. As I said, I just don't care enough to know it yet. [Wink] But thanks for the list.)
Itsame
Member # 9712

Spoiler Warning

The list of the actors who were hired as regulars has been online for nearly two weeks, and I am extremely happy that Kal Penn is one of them. I loved him in The Namesake.

[ October 29, 2007, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Umm, spoiler warning, Jon? Of course, you haven't spoiled it for me because I have no idea which one the actor you mentioned is! [Big Grin]

edited to remove the name you just mentioned and thanks for the spoiler warning, JonH!

[ October 29, 2007, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Uprooted ]

Itsame
Member # 9712

Yeah, I kind of assumed that anyone who actually knew that the guy's name is Kal Penn would be happy to hear that spoiler, and anyone else wouldn't know who the heck Kal Penn was. I'll add spoiler warning though, my apologies.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
So, last night when Mr. X came to the hospital, he initially claimed his name was "Martin Harris" which is a fairly significant name in LDS church history. Normally I would chalk it up to coincidence, but in this case, what with the major Mormon character, I wonder if it wasn't a deliberate "in" joke.

Also, in "Pushing Daisies" a couple weeks ago, the antagonist was named "Wilfred Woodruff," which is very similar to "Wilford Woodruff" another very prominent and quite unusual name from LDS church history.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that on Pushing Daisies. It caused a spittake.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
So are they actually getting some new people to go on House's team? I might start watching again if they've really made a permanent change to the show.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I missed it last night. Who in the team got "voted off"?
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Spoiler warning:

No one, although House was critical of everyone's performance. Largely, it was due to Chase taking bets on who would be voted off, and then (when no one was) pocketing the money and giving 50% to House.

Lisa
Member # 8384

They've already announced who the keepers are.
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think that was the first time I have ever seen Orthodox Jews portrayed correctly on TV. The only thing they did wrong was miss that you can bring Shabbat in early.

And I figured out that Wilson was seeing Amber in the previous episode specifically because she's a female version of House. They like having the plot and subplots run with a theme, and in the South Pole ep, it was clear that House was into the frozen shrink because she was a female Wilson, which was why I called Amber like a minute before she showed up.

Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yay, it's House, let's all watch a five-year-old girl bleed to death, while her eye balls shoot out of their sockets and she pukes up her liver.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
???

There's a lot of popular shows that are regularly more graphic than anything I've seen on House. And few with as interesting characters or storylines... But I guess YMMV.

Lisa, I'm glad they got (almost) everything right. I'm really liking this season, and the new faces (except 13, who bores me). And I'm glad Amber's back - she's fun.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can just see all the HouseXWilson, WilsonXHouse fanfic cropping up.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*shudders*

Lisa, thanks for bumping the thread, I would have missed that it was a new one tonight otherwise.

Itsame
Member # 9712

There's a new one tonight?! NOOOOOO!!!!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It'll rerun in 2 weeks on USA Friday.
Itsame
Member # 9712

I'll just watch it online tomorrow.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
The only thing they did wrong was miss that you can bring Shabbat in early.

They got closer than a lot of shows -- especially this one! -- have. But I was spitting tacks over some of their shtick. Seriously, waiting so the surgery would actually BE ON SHABBOS? And risking her life to do so? The others were more subtle, but definitely irritating.

Tonight was not a good night for me to go back to watching House.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I can just see all the HouseXWilson, WilsonXHouse fanfic cropping up.

Oh my, there is tons and tons of House/Wilson slashfic out there.

Me, I prefer Holmes/Watson. [Wink]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Tonight was not a good night for me to go back to watching House.

Well, it was and it wasn't. Since this was the last one until the writers' strike gets fixed.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
The only thing they did wrong was miss that you can bring Shabbat in early.

They got closer than a lot of shows -- especially this one! -- have. But I was spitting tacks over some of their shtick. Seriously, waiting so the surgery would actually BE ON SHABBOS? And risking her life to do so? The others were more subtle, but definitely irritating.
Also, she's only been frum for 6 months. New BTs make dumb mistakes like that. And since the doctors weren't Jewish, I don't see that there was a problem with the surgery being on Shabbat. Risking her life to wait, yes, but Shabbat, no.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I didn't expect the character to be consistent or very knowledgeable in her application of Jewish law--like Lisa said, she hadn't been at it long and her decisions were highly emotional.

I certainly can't speak for the accuracy of the portrayal, but I enjoyed it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.