FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Anniversary, Sputnik

Author Topic: Happy Anniversary, Sputnik
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
It's 12:18 AM which means it is the 50th anniversary of this communist scare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/7026639.stm

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
And all we've managed to do since then was land on the moon a couple times.

Kind of sad actually. Stephen Colbert had Jim Lovell (leader of the Apollo 13 crew) on his show tonight and I think he was right when he said he had a better childhood than his kids did because his heroes were astronauts, and it was exciting, whereas heroes now are celebrities.

I want to be excited about something like that again. Not just a point of national pride (though there is that), but also the last great frontier (other maybe than the depths of the ocean), the place where humans will have to explore and colonize to spread ourselves out and see more of the galaxy. And the best we can do is a crappy little space station and not having been to the moon in 30 years? Weak.

I'm mildly excited about going to Mars, but the only reason Bush is even talking about Mars and the moon is because he wants us to get there to mine resources (well, one particular resource) before anyone else gets there. The new space race isn't that far away (and could come faster if any sort of fusion power is ever perfected). But I wish we were excited about going just for the sake of adventure and pushing our limits. I wish people actually cared. And I wish the President was serious enough about it to bump NASA's funding a little bit.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
beep beep beep
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Would there be any negative consequences sufficiently severe to overshadow the hilarity of the US using a SAM to blow up one of the dead Russian satellites in our atmosphere every anniversary of sputnik?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? The US has been trying to close off space by littering LowEarthOrbit with garbage for 35years now.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
kinda ironic, imprisoned by our own success.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have hopes that with China and India beginning to reach for the stars there'll be a new, 21st century space race. I would really like the US to be a part of it, but ultimately I just want humanity to do this.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I so wish today's Woot shirt wasn't sold out.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Orbital ebris map
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

"whereas heroes now are celebrities. "

I can't imagine anyone who thinks celebrities are heroes. In fact, most people just like to insult them. I respect good actors, such as Jimmy Stewart, Tom Hanks, etc. but I don't consider them heroes. I consider great thinkers heroes.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Kind of sad actually. Stephen Colbert had Jim Lovell (leader of the Apollo 13 crew) on his show tonight and I think he was right when he said he had a better childhood than his kids did because his heroes were astronauts, and it was exciting, whereas heroes now are celebrities.

No, everyone's heroes were celebrities; back then, astronauts were celebrities.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Now they are nutters. I hold up as my example Lisa Nowak.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I have hopes that with China and India beginning to reach for the stars there'll be a new, 21st century space race. I would really like the US to be a part of it, but ultimately I just want humanity to do this.

We will be. China wants to start carving up the moon, and India will join in with that. The US won't sit idly by while they do that, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Pres. Bush is pushing for a Moon base before we go to Mars in the face of most experts saying going to the Moon would actually slow us down with no real help to get to Mars. Perhaps he's backdooring it because otherwise it'd be hard to secure funding for a moon base to secure possible fuel for fusion reactors? Who knows.

Either way, if China and India head into space, you can bet we'll either follow or leapfrog them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd simply let China and India have the moon, I'd make the provision though that they are not allowed to touch the flag we setup there nor the billions of dollars of riches we buried beneath it in case Russia had started a nuclear holocaust. If they come within 10 feet of the flag we launch nukes at the moon.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Can't let them have it. If we ever do create fusion power the way we want, they'd have a monopoly on priceless resource: Helium-3. We barely have any on Earth, but it's thought to exist in vast quantities up there.

Much like the north pole, we have to get in there and stake our claim.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.