FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what the crud? Whats up with this marking schema.

Author Topic: what the crud? Whats up with this marking schema.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Blayne Bradley wrote on Wed Oct-03-2007 at 14:38 :

I have no idea what the meaning of this is, I can only assume this was a typo but I hardly believe that with the instructions given that I am somehow undeserving of a higher mark, I was asked to answer those questions, to do it late at night as to be not distracted and I have answered the questions question, by question with both effort and honesty, I am unaware if you wanted a more formal essay format, I completed the assignment on time as per instructions I do not know why i got 5/10.

quote:

The assignment is marked on effort put in. It looks to me like you just filled out a questionnaire without learning anything new from the experience. Check for yourself: Are you any different now from before you did this assignment. That is the definition of learning, you know - a change in behavior, some new understanding. It just was not there. Do a top job on the test and make up for it.

I hate psychology. I hate psychiatrists, they always think they know better, and whats even worse, when you mix "teaching" with "psychology" .

I was given 50 questions to answer, all variations of "how do you feel"

example:

1. How do you feel?

2. Now how do you really feel?

*twitch* 5 on 10, based on his perception of my effort put in, I did it all from 0:00 to 3:00, as asked as per "instructions" did all of the work, I actually put in effort rather then put in sarcastic replies as most people in the class, and all I get to show for it is 5/10.

What the crud.

The assignment was worth 10% of the final grade as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Serves you right for taking a course in a pseudo-science. Next you'll be complaining that your astroogy teacher marked you down for pointing out the precession of the Zodiac.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

its mandatory to take a psyc course.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, don't go to universities where that's the case. In any case, if you are quoting yourself in an email to the teacher, I would personally mark you down just for being too dumb to use polite, formal writing in a letter of complaint.

Incidentally, if you are working from 0800 on Saturdays, how are you going to be playing TWBW?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'll figure out a way.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
If you put the same amount of effort into the assignment as you regularly seem to with your posts/threads here I'd say you got a better grade than you deserved.

Trying working harder instead of doing the bare minimum and then complaining about your grade.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i didnt do the bare minimum, as the instructions do not make clear even what the bare minimum is, i was failed because apparently i didn't learn anything enlightening from answering a questionnaire of rather personal questions.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Blayne, I agree that it's unfair that your professor apparently graded you based on your level of self-awareness. While I think self-awareness can be learned, it's often an integral part of someone's personality; it'd be like marking someone down in a physics class because he's fat.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Blayne... For once I actually feel sorry for you. That prof is a yutz and that course sounds like a lot of hippy nonsense.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I hate hippies.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you any different now from before you did this assignment. That is the definition of learning, you know - a change in behavior, some new understanding.
New understanding: I hate filling out idiotic questionnaires.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as someone who does this, that sounds like a very poor assignment/assesment technique based on the information given. What course are you taking?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"Human relations"
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also concerned as to how a psychologist expects people to answer that sort of personal question without a condition of anonymity at the least. The fact that he made your answers the basis for 10% of your grade is just bad science if he cared at all about the answers.

You also said that others used sarcastic answers. Have you asked what grade they got? What type of sarcasm they were using? Perhaps the professor mistook their sarcasm for an honest answer.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you fail a question like "How do you feel?"
(not that you did, but presumably someone probably did)

Unless you're Spock [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

most seem to have gotten 8/10
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

For human relations, those actually sound like they may be legitimate questions and potentially a legitimate grading system. A "Human Relations" course is often an exploratory course more than a straight educational one. If that is the case, the effort that you put into the assignment is an acceptible criteria to use in grading. If it was clear that you didn't put much effort into it (and knowing you, I would not be suprised that this is the case), you got the grade you deserved.

Now, yeah (assuming that this is true), you can say that this is a BS course. I kind of agree. I'd never take it or counsel a serious student to do so. I don't believe that much of the aim or methodology of exploratory psych courses is valid or useful from an educational perspective. But you chose to take this course as opposed to a more straight educational one. If you stick with the course, try putting more of yourself and your effort into the assignments.

---

edit:
quote:
Again, I don't necessarily agree with this, but the purpose of the assignment is likely not to put down "correct" answers to the questions, but rather to provoke an exploration of one's self, state, and relation to others. If you put down answers to the questions without this exploration (and keep in mind, those were 2 out of 50 questions), you could be said to not really have done the assignment correctly.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
If you put the same amount of effort into the assignment as you regularly seem to with your posts/threads here I'd say you got a better grade than you deserved.

Trying working harder instead of doing the bare minimum and then complaining about your grade.

Yeah, complaining to the teacher that way is totally inappropriate. I'm shocked he/she didn't come down harder on you or speak to you personally about it. If you want respect you may have to give it to people you don't like, or who you think don't deserve it. But seriously, that was totally out of line.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

If a student had sent me an email like that, they'd get very short shift. I'd recommend either emailing an apology or better yet apologizing in person.
TaIeswapper
Member # 7911

- posted      Profile for TaIeswapper   Email TaIeswapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hate hippies.
What's with all the hippy bashing?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TaIeswapper:
quote:
I hate hippies.
What's with all the hippy bashing?
They want to save the world, but all they do is smoke pot and play frisbee.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
For a moment there I thought I was reading Ulysses, but then I released that the commas were supposed to be periods.

Otherwise... it sounds like a BS course for sure, Blayne. That said, I'd have to see your work to evaluate whether or not it merits beyond a 5/10. Hopefully it does. And grades aren't the be-all-end-all, you know?

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
For human relations, those actually sound like they may be legitimate questions and potentially a legitimate grading system. A "Human Relations" course is often an exploratory course more than a straight educational one. If that is the case, the effort that you put into the assignment is an acceptible criteria to use in grading. If it was clear that you didn't put much effort into it (and knowing you, I would not be suprised that this is the case), you got the grade you deserved.

Now, yeah (assuming that this is true), you can say that this is a BS course. I kind of agree. I'd never take it or counsel a serious student to do so. I don't believe that much of the aim or methodology of exploratory psych courses is valid or useful from an educational perspective. But you chose to take this course as opposed to a more straight educational one. If you stick with the course, try putting more of yourself and your effort into the assignments.

---

edit:
quote:
Again, I don't necessarily agree with this, but the purpose of the assignment is likely not to put down "correct" answers to the questions, but rather to provoke an exploration of one's self, state, and relation to others. If you put down answers to the questions without this exploration (and keep in mind, those were 2 out of 50 questions), you could be said to not really have done the assignment correctly.
The course was mandatory
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

This particular course or some Psych course?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
A large part of university, unfortunately, is learning how to jump through the hoops that your professors want you to jump through.

You are apparently not jumping through his hoops.

Start jumping through them ASAP or suffer the poor marks.

It doesn't matter whether they are good, fair, or worthwhile hoops -- they are the hoops which you need for a grade.

edit: comma

[ October 05, 2007, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
A large part of university, unfortunately is learning how to jump through the hoops that your professors want you to jump through.

You are apparently not jumping through his hoops.

Start jumping through them ASAP or suffer the poor marks.

It doesn't matter whether they are good, fair, or worthwhile hoops -- they are the hoops which you need for a grade.

This is where I immediately withdraw from a course. I am paying a significant amount of money to learn more than just how to please a petty teacher. And I think it is perfectly healthy to question your professors; while maintaing respect and consideration, of course, though I have certainly toed that line.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a required course. If he withdraws from the course, he might as well withdraw from the entire school.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
its mandatory to take a psyc course.

porter, the way I read this is Blayne has to take a psych class, probably off a list, not that this one class is required.

Depending on how the rest of the course is going and when "drop day" is, I would advise Blayne to possibly consider dropping the course. But people with more relevant/recent college experience might give better advice.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Write an apology stating how you initially felt about the grade, how you feel now that you've been able to think about the situation, why you feel your initial outburst was inappropriate, what you leared about yourself from the experience, and what you plan to do with future assignments now that you have a clearer understanding of the course requirements.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Write an apology stating...
If you do this, I recommend that you take the time to make your reply sound more formal and less rushed. The email you quoted above was one long run-on sentence.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
There are no alternatives? In my school, there are usually several classes that can fill a requirement, or at least a couple teachers teaching the same class at different times / during different semesters.

In this way, it's less choosing a class and choosing a teacher, which has worked out for me very well.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, make sure you include lots of discussion about how you are feeling. Considering the number of blog-ish posts you make around here about being lonely or excited or whatever your mood swing is that day, I'm sure you can come up with something.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.