FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Pro-Life 3rd Party vs Pro-Choice Rudy/Fred/or Mitt? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Pro-Life 3rd Party vs Pro-Choice Rudy/Fred/or Mitt?
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Am I leaving out a possibility here?

The cynic in me wants to point out that although you did not explicitly preclude the possibility, it could also be both 2 AND 3. He might personally actually have a very moderate opinion or no opinion at all, and he simply grabbed onto whatever opinion he thought might benefit him the most at the time [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus, I thought the same thing. And it's not just the abortion issue for Romney--the same analysis can apply for other issues. For example, gun control, sex education, gay rights...well, it's a long list. The only constant is Romney has stated the position most likely to get him elected in the current race with the current electorate.

There's nothing wrong with an ambition to be president--unless that ambition trumps all principle.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
considering socially Rudy might as well be Bill Clinton.
BTW, this isn't quite true. On the abortion issue, at least, Rudy is far more likely to appoint a pro-life judge than Clinton was.
On the political scale, he's a lot closer socially to Bill than he is to any of the other Republican candidates. Pro gay rights, he's the only Republican candidate who even comes close. More allowing of abortion, which the Republican side considers taboo. He's had two divorces, one of them extremely messy, which in a family values centric (and after all the scandals lately, a very wary) Republican party.

On that scale, I think he's closer to Bill than to the others.

Not like it really matters though, Giuliani is only running on 9/11 anyway.

Interestingly though, recent polls show that the economy is more important than the war on terror to people. And when you compare Rudy to Hillary based just on the economy, to people who find the economy to be extremely important, she wins by more than 20%.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly he's closer to Bill, but that doesn't mean "might as well be." Nothing significant can happen on the abortion front until SCOTUS changes.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mormons are a bit gray on abortion (I personally am not, but I'm rather in the minority.)
I don't know (m)any Mormons who are "gray" on abortion; can you explain what you mean?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Mormons are a bit gray on abortion (I personally am not, but I'm rather in the minority.)
I don't know (m)any Mormons who are "gray" on abortion; can you explain what you mean?
Not to speak for pooka, but it's my understanding that the church's stance on when abortion may be morally justifiable allows for significant exceptions (rape, incest, health of the mother) that aren't endorsed by the strict "pro-life" platform.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Why would you call those "significant exceptions?" Do you mean significant in terms of departure from the strict pro-life platform, or in terms of numbers?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why would you call those "significant exceptions?" Do you mean significant in terms of departure from the strict pro-life platform, or in terms of numbers?

The former.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we just have a giant televised death match between all the candidates? Weapons are randomly assigned, ranging from daggers to machetes to maces.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I mean Brigham Young opined that the soul enters the body at the time of "quickening" or when the mother can feel the baby move, about 15 to 17 weeks. Abortion is considered a "heinous" sin but not murder, justified in cases of rape, incest and danger to the life of the mother, and to be prayerfully considered in cases of severe fetal deformity or danger to the health of the mother.

I mean, yeah, 80% of Americans would probably go with that.

I decided a couple of years ago that until we know when life does start, I'll assume it starts at conception. At the time I was pushing for a 7 week line, but someone (and I really don't remember who) called me an idiot so I decided to go with -2 weeks.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Anyway, I am pretty lukewarm on Romney. As I was driving home, I realize I'm probably for McCain. He doesn't have the greatest personality, but I think he might have a chance of beating Hillary. Assuming he's honestly pro-life, I'm very impressed that he has a bona fide military record.

P.S. I scanned McCain on Wikipedia. Boy those entries are off-sides.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I read about Romney the more I like him, I do think he has a solid chance of winning the Republican nomination, it's unfortunate that his religion is an issue. It's even more unfortunate that on the campaign trail he has basically disowned any knowledge of his own health care plan that he passed in Mass. I don't know why he does not push that more to the front so that people see him as a Republican who can still work with a Democratic legislature. Obama does it, and it has only helped him.

Perhaps he feels he would lose fiscal conservative support for lauding his successes with big government legislation.

edit: I think Romney genuinely changed his mind on Abortion, I don't think he is picking a position that will garner him more votes.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I just dropped $30 on McCain.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I don't think he is picking a position that will garner him more votes.
It's incontestable that the change will garner him more votes in the primary, though.

What's giving me pause about him is the timing of the various changes of hearts he's had. There's a pattern there, one I need to investigate more.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It's incontestable that the change will garner him more votes in the primary, though.

What's giving me pause about him is the timing of the various changes of hearts he's had. There's a pattern there, one I need to investigate more.

IIRC, he also was very fast to make fun of liberal Massachusetts during one of the early debates. Which is fine, but when you live there, work there and raise your family there, it seems to me he's either trying to redesign himself for the base, or he was deceptive about who he was in the first place.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a candidate that I like as much as I have candidates I don't like. I think Guiliani is a mess - a power-hungry, crappy leader who alienates his subordinates and lies through his teeth about his record while having the personal life of a drunken sailor. He'd be a terrible leader. Talk about 9/11 making the terrorists win - if that pushes Guiliani to the presidency then the American public gets what we deserve. Gah!

Also, my general impression of Clinton is that she is capable but not very honest. That's also not cool.

Unfortunately, if the front runners stay the front runners, the two candidates I dislike the most will be the only choices. Grrr...

For whom I like, I really like Bill Richardson - great resume, good personal life, and he seems funny and capable. Obama and Romney would be not bad.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also kind of tacky to poke fun (but not in a self-depreciating way) at the state you're the govenor of.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

This is certainly true, no argument there.

quote:

To be frank I am not sure how one could possibly come to a good conclusion on this matter, barring talking to Mit himself and even then knowing if he was telling the truth or not. All it seems we can do is speculate. The only reason I have for believing him is that after reading what I have on him he does not seem like the kind of guy who simply flip flops when it's convenient.

I read an anecdote I liked where his investment firm was deciding whether to approve an investment in a movie company that produced among other things, R rated movies. Romney himself does not watch R rated movies and it could be argued that by approving the investment he would be supporting something he does not agree with. He ultimately decided that he would approve the investment, but would not follow his standard practice of investing some of his own money in the venture. I think those sorts of decisions are precisely what a man of faith has to make as president. I think it was the right choice to make.

I know the timing on his opinions regarding abortion seems pretty convenient, but at the same time when it comes time to campaigning, people often have to sit down and evaluate what their positions are on everything. The higher the post the more opinions you must have, and the better you have to articulate those positions.

As an aside what resources do YOU have Dag that would assist you in your research?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I could see it being the stem cell issue, but I've never seen a primary source on that. The church made an amorphous statement on it about 5 years ago. It seemed amorphous to me, though it made a lot of scientists mad.

P.S. Mormons also have that "honor and uphold the law" ethic, and Roe v. Wade is what passes for law in this country right now. What are the pro-choice statements you judge him by, Dag?

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know the timing on his opinions regarding abortion seems pretty convenient
As I understand it, this change of heart came during a time when he had mulitple other changes of heart away from MA voters' preferences and towards Republican base voters' preferences and took to bashing MA.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
As an aside what resources do YOU have Dag that would assist you in your research?
None, really. I haven't committed much time to it at this point. I've read a few op-eds, some pro-Romney, some against.

Our primary isn't for more than four months, and this might be decided by then, so I haven't gotten serious about my candidate research yet.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
I know the timing on his opinions regarding abortion seems pretty convenient
As I understand it, this change of heart came during a time when he had mulitple other changes of heart away from MA voters' preferences and towards Republican base voters' preferences and took to bashing MA.
I've heard that accusation, and I just have not seen it. It seems to be little more than an exagerated unfair summation of his administration.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
P.S. Mormons also have that "honor and uphold the law" ethic, and Roe v. Wade is what passes for law in this country right now. What are the pro-choice statements you judge him by, Dag?
He's flat-out admitted that he used to be pro-choice and has since changed his mind:

quote:
"I am humbled to be standing among the many who have toiled for the pro-life movement for so long, when I arrived at this place of principle only a few years ago.

"I appreciate the decades of dedication and the effective advocacy of people like Jim Bopp, the Special Adviser to my campaign on life issues.

"I know that it is not time but conviction that unites us.

"I proudly follow a long line of converts – George Herbert Walker Bush, Henry Hyde, and Ronald Reagan to name a few

"I am evidence that your work, that your relentless campaign to promote the sanctity of human life, bears fruit.

"When I first ran for office, while I was always personally opposed to abortion, I considered whether this should be a private decision or whether it should be a societal and government decision. I concluded that I would support the law as it was in place – effectively, the pro-choice position.

"And I was wrong.

Knowing many people who have done this, I don't find it as unbelievable as some pundits seem to. Further, there are elements of his story that sound similar to other conversion stories.

Edit: As I said, though, the timing makes me want to investigate further.

Mucus
Member # 9735

I'm not sure a conversion story that is similar to other conversion stories necessarily tells us anything.

Despite being a Mormon (sorry, couldn't resist), I'm sure he's a relatively smart guy. It would not take a lot of effort to craft or exaggerate a conversion story based on various elements that one could find via research.

In fact, I would not be surprised that it would actually takes more effort to come up with a truly unique and different story. So I'm not sure we can come to a conclusion either way.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm confused, Mucus, are you pro-life?
Mucus
Member # 9735

Sorry, which part did I lose you?
Actually, I haven't actually said anything in this thread which is dependent on my stance on the issue.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Despite being a Mormon (sorry, couldn't resist), I'm sure he's a relatively smart guy.
You know, replace "Mormon" there with "black" or "jew" or "female" and see how casually funny it is.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

So you're totally neutral on the subject of Romney being a Mormon?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I'm not sure a conversion story that is similar to other conversion stories necessarily tells us anything.
It means there's reason not to dismiss it out of hand as patently unbelievable.
Mucus
Member # 9735

pooka: Now I'm the one thats confused. You asked me whether I was pro-life. My reply was that my contributions to this thread, particularly on Romney, have no dependence on my stance on abortion. I'm not sure where you linked that reply to his being a Mormon.

Dagonee: True. Then I'm not sure "a conversion story that is similar to other conversion stories necessarily tells us" much [Wink]

JH:
A) I don't buy the equivalence between attributes such as skin colour, race, or gender (which are determined at birth and have no real link with intelligence) and attributes such as religion which are not only chosen, but may very well have links with intelligence
e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

On a similar note, I find the attempted equivalence between race and religion, such as that implied in the word "Islamophobia" rather obnoxious and potentially dangerous.

B) The more important thing is if you're offended, sorry. It was meant as a joke. If it makes you feel better, look up the non-politically-correct joke thread. IIRC, I posted a few jokes about Chinese people [Wink]

pooka
Member # 5003

I thought you were implying you were neutral on issues. Romney being Mormon shouldn't be an issue, but to some folks it apparently is.

So why are you boasting about making fun of Chinese people? Is it because you know I'm of Chinese heritage, or was that a lucky stab in the dark?

pooka
Member # 5003

The relevant link from the rather vague wiki page:

http://hypnosis.home.netcom.com/iq_vs_religiosity.htm

But France has a lower IQ than Germany. So there.

Seriously, I think it's a test of economic strength and educational opportunity, which sometimes but not always goes with "religiosity."

Wow, the IQ data is from a book called "IQ and the wealth of Nations." I'm fairly shocked that someone would look at a list of religiosity, see it's resemblance to a list of poverty, and then strip away the poverty to try and make an argument about religiosity as original research.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Considering you're lumping all religious people together without regard to individual denominations, I know your ignorant sideswipe doesn't matter.

To make it clear: it isn't cool. I don't believe it was entirely a joke. That you make slurs about other people doesn't make it better.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dagonee: True. Then I'm not sure "a conversion story that is similar to other conversion stories necessarily tells us" much
It tells me I need to investigate more. That's a lot. [Smile]
Mucus
Member # 9735

[Roll Eyes] "other people"

I AM Chinese.

pooka
Member # 5003

So it's okay to make fun of yourself, is it? Are you Mormon as well?
Mucus
Member # 9735

Ok, I think there is a lot of confusion and jumping to conclusions here so I'll try to clear some of it up.
There are two separate issues here:

A) My comments on the conversion story:

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I'm confused, Mucus, are you pro-life?

quote:
I thought you were implying you were neutral on issues. Romney being Mormon shouldn't be an issue, but to some folks it apparently is.

As I said, my comments to Dagonee are not predicated on my stance on abortion, whether or not I have one. It just *amused me* to point out that there might be a fourth possibility to his three and that the conversion story may or may not say a heck of a lot about what Romney was thinking. These comments have nothing to do with my stance and I think Dagonee got that.

That said, I am not neutral on the issues. I have opinions on abortion. However, they are particularly steeped in the current Canadian situation and not entirely relevant to a thread about US political parties, particularly one focused on Romney. Additionally, I didn't want to confuse anyone as to why I was commenting on Dag's possibilities. Evidentially that failed [Wink]

B) My joke about Mormons and that Romney is probably atypical:

quote:
So why are you boasting about making fun of Chinese people? Is it because you know I'm of Chinese heritage, or was that a lucky stab in the dark?
quote:
Seriously, I think it's a test of economic strength and educational opportunity, which sometimes but not always goes with "religiosity."
quote:
So it's okay to make fun of yourself, is it? Are you Mormon as well?
First, I was attempting to demonstrate that for me nothing is sacred as far as what I can joke about. If I can joke about Chinese people, something that I actually am and had no choice in the matter, then certainly I can joke about attributes that people had a choice about.
I'm an equal opportunity offender. [Razz]

That said, I don't actually care to demonstrate in this thread whether there is any link between religiosity and intelligence, you can start a new thread if we want to do that.

To sum up: For that four word joke, it is simply dependent on the stereotype* that Mormonism is somewhat of a flaky religion and a bit of a scam that takes in gullible people. It is a stereotype, Romney obviously does not fit this stereotype.

As JH pointed out, it is not entirely a joke. Many jokes about stereotypes have a kernel of truth in them, simply because many stereotypes have a kernel of historical truth or reality about them.

To make it clear, for me:
Treating people differently due to factors out of their control such as race or gender: Bad
Treating people differently due to factors in their control such as religion, political party, or favourite beer: Grey-area
Making offensive jokes about factors out of people's control such as race or gender: Definitely!
Making offensive jokes about factors in people's control: Bring it on!

We're far into my comfort zone as far as jokes are concerned.

C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Romney is one of my favorite candidates. This is because he has been able to be conservative for the most liberal state in America (I lived in Massachusetts for six years. I know what it's like) and is not stubborn. He seems sincere about his conversion on the issue of abortion, which proves that reason and logic gets through to him. One thing that's hard for me to admire about him though is that he insists that everyone should leave his religion out of this. While I partially agree with him, he says it the wrong way. People shouldn't judge what he'll do by what church he goes to, but if he's a sincere believer, his morals and values will be at least partly influenced by his faith, so it's good to know what Mormonism is about if Romney is to become President.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, Mucus, I'm sorry for everything I said prior to what you just posted. And since what you just posted was provoked by me, I'll have to take part of that on my head. And I'll take your slams against Mormonism as an odd sort of compliment, since I think there are groups you wouldn't tease.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It means there's reason not to dismiss it out of hand as patently unbelievable.
The reasons to be sceptical of Romney's conversion story are not evident in the story itself but rather in the context. Romney's
"conversion" to opposing legal abortion happened at a point when he transitioned from being a politician in a liberal pro-choice state to courting the conservative religious right for the republican presidential nomination. It is that context and not the details of his conversion that make the story suspect.

This is just one of many things in Romney's political career that make him look like a political opportunist rather than an individual with genuine political convictions.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Hmm...

I'd rather the folks I vote for hold MORAL convictions rather than political convictions. [Smile]

But I'm not convinced of Romney's sincerity. And I'm definitely not convinced that he's good for the US.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd rather the folks I vote for hold MORAL convictions rather than political convictions.
And what do you think distinguishes the two?

I could point to plenty of people who have moral convictions about how they treat their families, say their prayers and so forth but whose political convictions I find highly immoral.

I would far rather have a athiest womanizer who supports care for the poor, universal medical care, diplomacy, environmental responsibility and social justice for President than a Christian family man warhawk who is determined to loosen environmental regulations, cut medicaid, medicare and social security, favor the rich and destroy the social safety. In my experience, the kind of moral values a person demonstrate in their private life have very little correlation with the kind of ethics and morality they value in politics. A president has far more impact on the moral questions involving things like human rights, how we care for the poor, the sick and the elderly, war and peace, than a president has on question like whether people choose a gay lifestyle or an abortion.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Well, Mucus, I'm sorry for everything I said prior to what you just posted. And since what you just posted was provoked by me, I'll have to take part of that on my head. And I'll take your slams against Mormonism as an odd sort of compliment, since I think there are groups you wouldn't tease.

Oh, thats ok. There is no need to apologise. I figured there was an honest miscommunication and it did not seem like you were trying to take offence or anything. Thats why I wanted to clear it up.

As for the second part ... maybe. Although I wouldn't go that far myself.

As a quick analysis, the only groups that I can think of that I would not tease are groups that would be inclined to take hurtful offence for what I consider a justified reason.

e.g. making fun of Jews for the holocaust, Chinese people for the Nanjing Massacre would be supremely jerky. For something more close to the topic, I would be personally disgusted by someone that made fun of mothers that had abortions. For something more grey on this forum, I am a little uncomfortable with making fun of Lynn Johnson for her failed marriage

That said in those cases, it is not so much that they are different in a fundamental way from groups that I would tease, but that any reasonable person in their positions would be hurt.

I dunno, how did you originally read that as a backhanded compliment? Simply because I figured Mormons would be tough enough to take the abuse? [Wink]

Scott R
Member # 567

Rabbit:

Don't confuse a strong sense of morality with religious expressions of that morality.

:shrug:

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
The reasons to be sceptical of Romney's conversion story are not evident in the story itself but rather in the context. Romney's
"conversion" to opposing legal abortion happened at a point when he transitioned from being a politician in a liberal pro-choice state to courting the conservative religious right for the republican presidential nomination. It is that context and not the details of his conversion that make the story suspect.

I agree - and pretty much stated so above when I mentioned convenient timing. If the story itself wasn't believable to me, I wouldn't bother trying to resolve my suspicion one way or the other. Since it is, I need to move to the next step of the analysis.

To be honest, I doubt I'll actually have to resolve this particular issue. Because of the screwed up primary schedule, the nomination is almost certain to be locked by the time I get to vote.

If Romney is the candidate, I'll have 8 months or so to figure this out.

pooka
Member # 5003

Why do you like Romney better than McCain, out of curiosity?

quote:
I dunno, how did you originally read that as a backhanded compliment? Simply because I figured Mormons would be tough enough to take the abuse?
That seems a decent assessment of how I meant it. I think the relevant term would be "fair game".
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Why do you like Romney better than McCain, out of curiosity?
I don't, yet.

With McCain, I think he has too cavalier an attitude about free speech.

Moreover, his grandstanding during the baseball steroids scandal annoyed me. Not enough for me not to vote for him (I haven't decided that yet) but enough, coupled with several other instances, to think that he might be as much of a political opportunist as Romney is accused of being.

pooka
Member # 5003

So, you mean he is too quick to stem free speech?

The word that folks kept using for him during the 2000 run was "temperment". He didn't have the "temperment". But he's no Kerry or Dole, either.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
So, you mean he is too quick to stem free speech?
Yep. I've posted at length about it aspects of McCain-Feingold before.
pooka
Member # 5003

I'll check around.
Okay, that does sound familiar. How ironic that it was probably not their intended effect.

I'm a little alarmed at the claiming of a constitutional right to free speech by a group, as opposed to a citizen. What do you think, should I bump that thread to discuss it?

I believe your case at UVA had to do with equality of access by groups, and certainly what's fair is fair. It just suddenly jumped out at me as written in the Post article that my link rests on.

P.S. My thinking on language, intent, and groups is all influenced by my field (linguistics) so I'm prone to radical statements.

[ November 09, 2007, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.