FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Puffy and the Pattersons (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Puffy and the Pattersons
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Really, if Francie -was- her actual two and a half years old, she'd probably have problems recognizing Therese at all.
This firmly establishes you as a man who has never had children, you realize. [Smile] That said, yeah, Francie's speaking like the most advanced two-year-old alive.
I hate to disagree with you, Tom, but I brought my girls home at the age of twenty-months. Two months later, we had their foster parents over for their second birthday party. The girls did not recognize them and most assuredly did not run to them. They hid behind us and stared uncertainly. Now, this kid is older, and apparently expremely precocious, but I just wanted to jump in and point out that there is some room for variation in kids' memories. Puffy's not all that far off base.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
"This firmly establishes you as a man who has never had children, you realize."

Puffy is a girl, she's porce's sister, last I heard.

Nope. Brother.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's a good thing I didn't email him and ask him if he's single, then. [ROFL]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
On Francie's memories of Therese, I just want to point out: She'll be three in March next year.

Anthony's told us Therese was never around during the brief period their marriage lasted past Francie's birth.

The letters and strip have given contradictory information since then on whether or not Francie's visited her mother since then.

Obviously it was a lot more than Anthony said, otherwise how could Francie recognize and miss what she never had?

On the other hand, this violates the "Therese was never interested in Francie/abandoned her" paradigm Lynn wants us to accept.

I still think she's acting like a girl a bit older than her in-strip age, with a history somewhat different from what we've been told.

But who can keep up with all the retcons?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I brought my girls home at the age of twenty-months. Two months later, we had their foster parents over for their second birthday party.
Do kids get a chance to "imprint" on foster parents?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
They were with them from the day they left ICU until the day we adopted them. They never spent an hour in either birth parent's custody.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I burn for you like a lukewarm drink

Not a direct link, but there's a great FBoFW parody about 10 strips down.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's marvelous! And the rest of the comics are pretty funny too.

Elly's eyes in that last panel are going to be in my nightmares.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
The dead horse has sprouted flies; time to resume the beating.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The happiest guy on the planet
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to wonder if this strip was aimed at Johnson's ex-husband. If not, it must have been painful to write.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that felt like a shot at a philanderer to me as well.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I thought it was sweet, classy, and professional she rose above her personal problems to talk about how marriage should be and stay true to her happily married characters. All in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Staying true to her characters is not really a priority for the artist. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Was anyone else a bit disappointed to open the paper today and not see any foobish idiocy to rant about?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
Was anyone else a bit disappointed to open the paper today and not see any foobish idiocy to rant about?

Oh, there's plenty of foolish idiocy in the newspaper to rant about, even without a certain comic strip...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually like books that end telling you what happened for the rest of everyone's life. I didn't like Sunday's strip.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.