FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woot off in progress (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Woot off in progress
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot!
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy frijoles...... 20 minutes in and 6 sell-outs already..... Guess I'm not sleeping tonight!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
This stuff is going ridiculously quick. I can barely decide whether I am interested before it sells out.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We're now stuck on tire pressure monitors LOL. I think it went 10 items in about 45 minutes before these posted. And we've already had our first server crash of the Woot Off.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
What is so special about woot offs? Explanation please.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Normally Woot posts one item a day at midnight Central time. When it sells out, that's it till the next midnight.

However, about once a month, they hold a Woot Off. First item lists at midnight, but as soon as that item sells out, another one replaces it. And it keeps on going for roughly 36-48 hours. Smaller quantities of items, usually leftovers of items that didn't sell out on the daily listings.

And then there's the BOC. Usually the last item in a Woot Off (but has been known to appear earlier to confuse the regulars or even on rare occasion on the daily listing), you have absolutely NO idea what you're getting on this one but it's up to three items at a buck an item plus shipping. BOCs are guaranteed to crash the servers as everyone and their uncle tries to get in on that action.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Somebody buy the home theater system so we can get something else up. I've been watching it for 15 minutes already!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

You can buy it for me [Smile] .
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly wrongful, but since I don't know how to link-share a soon-to-disappear WOOT! tale...

Once upon a time, wootie-pies, there was a handsome young man who came upon an iRobot Roomba Discovery SE 4220. The iRobot Roomba Discovery SE 4220 could sense and find dirt, provide up to 120 minutes of cleaning power, recharge in three hours and was smarter than any regular vacuum, yet was lying there, unable to move. The young man looked down, and saw that the iRobot Roomba Discovery SE 4220 was caught on a piece of a pizza box that was smeared with peanut butter and cat hair. The young man clicked his tongue with pity and helped the poor Roomba free. It did not say thank you or look back, it merely rolled on, cleaning the forest and heading toward the recharge station it called home. The young man went along his own path as well.

Years went by, and the young man was now old, and had also somehow been captured by bandits! The bandits threw the old young man into a pit full of sharp sticks and poorly stuffed bean bags. They yelled from above and threw inexpensive cheese at his face, as bandits often do. From deep in the dark corner of the pit, the old young man heard a rumbling of stair-sensing technology coming to lif, and he trembled as it began moving through the Virtual Walls that kept it in check, growing closer and closer to him…

It was the iRobot Roomba Discovery SE 4220 he had rescued all those years ago! Surely, he thought to himself, surely it will repay my kindness today! But no, my friends, the iRobot Roomba Discovery SE 4220 simply rolled over him without remorse, pity, or any spark of good intentions whatsoever, as though he were just another dust bunny.

And that brings us to our moral, wootie-pies. For now you understand why all of nature abhors a vacuum.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
bump!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a pair of Dick Tracey style watch-radios a week ago, but one came with a bum battery [Frown]

Otherwise, WOOT is awesome.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Awmannnnnn, and I have no money again....

Why, Woot??? Why must you torture me so???

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

Because I needed more things to cause procrastination right now... [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The price on that computer is nice, but I really hate buying refurbished 'puters . . .

. . . and it doesn't matter, because it's gone.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Another one that didn't end in a Bandolier of Carrots server crash. [Frown]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
This should be interesting. I saw this thread bumped before I checked woot.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i would've picked up that gps. that went fast.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

.....And the site wonkiness has already begun....
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot damn that is the ugliest Roomba ever!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Missed it. What color/style was it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/iRobot_Roomba_Pet_4275tdyDetail.jpg
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes it uglier than any other Roomba?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pistachios?

What are they, nuts?

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

They've had that same Samsung UltraPC 4 or 5 times now....
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Someone broke the site. Runtime error on the main page and the blog page, forums are responsive enough where people are posting in the last item about the error. They must have finally posted the BOC. Or flying monkeys.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

ugh i hate when i hit the wrong button
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
What makes it uglier than any other Roomba?

That hideous burgundy red clashes with that gray/green.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
That camera is so ridiculously cheap that I almost feel like buying it just to take it apart.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Darn! Wanted one of those.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Got me some monkeys. [Big Grin]

But no bag of crap. [Mad] [Grumble]

rivka
Member # 4859

Those monkeys are going to be up forever.

Or at least the next hour, which is close enough for my purposes. [Razz]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the monkeys mark the end of the woot off--I'm not seeing the rotating lights and reverse progress bar.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, I missed a coffee maker. The last one I got from woot broke the other day, and I've been keeping my eye on the site for another one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, but it was a refurb and it went fast.

I was hoping the monkeys' lack of bar was temporary. [Razz]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Awcrud I missed monkeys. Now there's three colors I'm missing.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Another to celebrate april fool's day, I guess.
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I could have got a bag o' crap, but it needed my card's security code and I didn't have it ready [Frown] And it sold out...
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't buy one, but I see BoC up.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

DANG!

I was so close -- I know my card's code and entered it quickly, but darn page took too long to load. [Razz]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, too much loading to get the bag of crap. [Frown]

I did get some 2G SD cards the other day when the woot off was going though. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quiote sure how this one's gonna work, actually. There were several BoCs this time but each one sold out almost instantly and many folks (myself included) thought they were solid until they got the dreaded "Sorry, we're sold out, but you're in line" message. This happened to me twice today.

The description of this last one makes me wonder if everyone "on line" will get one, or just the people that got one of the last ones, or what.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I didn't even make it in line. [Frown]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I think the BoC WAS the April Fool's joke.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you get in a bag of crap?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
As in, just about anything. They guarantee what's in them will be worth at least as much as the price, and possibly a lot more. Some people have received giant HDTVs in their bag of crap.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
bump!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.