FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Controlling the Spin (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Controlling the Spin
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
So is she spinning clockwise or counterclockwise?

Don't look at others' answers until you post your answer.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither. She's swinging back and forth.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I looked at it for a while and was sure it was clockwise. Then I came back here, and when I looked back at the image again, I was sure it was counterclockwise. Now I can see either.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only see counterclockwise...
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty neat. I saw counterclockwise for about a minute, but then when I would try to visualize what it would look like when she swung clockwise, I could suddenly see the clockwise motion. I can switch back and forth now by watching the legs and visualizing the motion I want to see.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Clockwise. And I'm firmly convinced that anyone who says otherwise is defective. [Wink]

As an aside, I think it's interesting how these things propagate across the internet. Porteiro posted this on GC a couple of days ago. One of my coworkers showed it to me about twenty minutes ago.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivygirl1937
Member # 10918

- posted      Profile for Ivygirl1937   Email Ivygirl1937         Edit/Delete Post 
I see clockwise.
Either way, fun.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this supposed to be a trick of some sort? Because all I see is clockwise... [Dont Know]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Clockwise.

I stared at it for five minutes trying to see something else and couldn't.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it's easier to switch perceptions when I try to visualize her swinging back and forth. When the one leg points to the side, the image sort of seems to flip, and then the leg comes back the other way.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Counterclockwise at first, had quite a struggle, but managed to see it clockwise, can't go back without the same effort.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I see clockwise.

I'm finding myself unable to see it differently, which is frustrating.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see how you people are seeing clockwise.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Neither. She's swinging back and forth.

That was my answer as well.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said on GC, I first saw clockwise, but can change the rotation at will now.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I can switch the way that I think she's spinning whenever I perceive her back to be towards me.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
I say she's drunk.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Clockwise. I can't imagine how anyone is seeing it differently.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see both. When I first looked it was clockwise but after looking at the feet/shadow at the bottom it switched. I was able to switch a couple of times but then I seemed to be stuck on anti-clockwise for quite a while before getting my perspective to shift back. I can't switch it at will yet but I'm sure I could with practice.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or I just think my perspective is switching and the image just randomly does reverse itself.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The image isn't doing anything; its people's perspectives that are changing. I've found that if I wave my hand in front of the screen or jostle myself or the screen I can make it appear to go counter clockwise, but its only a few seconds until my brain reasserts the clockwise interpretation on the image.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I've stared at it, squinted at it, moved my chair, stood up, waved my hand in front of it... I still don't see it do anything but spin clockwise.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
counter clockwise
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
To see it in the different perspective, try to see the reverse of what you currently see as to whether her pointed leg is behind her or in front of her.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've stared at it, squinted at it, moved my chair, stood up, waved my hand in front of it... I still don't see it do anything but spin clockwise.
That means your brain is broken...sorry.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Counter-clockwise. I can't imagine how anyone is seeing it differently.

Edit: actually, I managed to switch direction. It was a matter of deciding that one leg passed in front of her when I previously saw it passing behind her.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Try focusing on just the feet for a bit
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
She's spinning back and forth at seemingly random intervals. I counted 16 clockwise rotations followed by 7 counter-clockwise, then 9 clockwise, then 13 counter-clockwise. Then I lost count. I'm pretty sure that anyone who thinks they can change the perspective at will is mistaken.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That means your brain is broken...sorry.
my boyfriend says he can't make her change, and his brain is broken [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, there's insufficient information to determine clockwise or counterclockwise. The exact same silhouette could be generated either direction. It could also be half circles each direction (the swinging back and forth mentioned).

And there's only one spin in the animated gif, which is repeated over and over again.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
rollainm,
The image is just a simple looping animation. It doesn't change rotation. Your perspective is what is changing at random.

As I said, you can change how she appears to be rotating by trying to see the pointed leg as going behind her when you thought it was going in front of her and vice versa.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

"And there's only one spin in the animated gif, which is repeated over and over again."

How can you tell?

Now I'm second guessing myself.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I opened it in an editor, just to check. There's just one spin.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Hmm...give me a moment...
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely see clockwise. I shall attempt to see it as counterclockwise now.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Okay, I see the back and forth sway now. Wow, that's neat.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it by looking at the shadow of her foot. It's really weird. My initial reaction is the same as rollainm's, but me and my roommate started see it as counterclockwise at different times. Weirdness.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

It spins faster for me in Firefox than in IE. I think that has a lot to do with the different reactions, too. It was easy, once pointed out, for me to immediately change perspective from clockwise to counter-clockwise to swaying back and forth, but when it's faster it takes more effort to switch regardless of how long I stare at it.
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at it for a long time, and decided that she must be spinning clockwise. But when I came back to the Hatrack tab, I noticed the icon for the spinning girl tab in my Firefox window also had a spinning girl. And this one was definitely spinning counter-clockwise. So I went back, and watched the icon for a while. Then I noticed the big picture was spinning the other way now. I tried clicking on it trying to get it to switch, and sometimes it would, but sometimes it would switch when I didn't do anything. Eventually I realized it really was just my perception, and I could make it switch by only watching her legs (covering the rest of her), and imagining her changing directions mid-spin. Weird.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I say clockwise.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks clockwise to me.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Took me a while, but now I see both.

DrStrangelove's foot thing seems to work.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, is this some kind of optional illusion or something? Just when I think I’ve got it, she changes direction on me.

Sneaky, sneaky.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I come back to it 2 hrs later and now I can't see anything but clockwise!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
If I look directly at it, I can only see clockwise.

Out of the corner of my eye, it can be either, or just a back and forth swing.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
When I watched it, she was turning clockwise, and then after several turns switched legs and turned counterclockwise. (In ballet terms she was turning en dehors each time but changed the standing leg.)

[ October 11, 2007, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: porcelain girl ]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Clockwise, then one leg and torso turned counterclockwise while the other continued to turn clockwise, then repeated.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Clockwise. Can't even see how it would be counter-clockwise, but my brain isn't very good at these sorts of visual tricks.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
It took some effort, but now I can switch her at will.

This is also one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I <3 crap like this [Smile] .

Oh and the ONLY way I can switch her is by concentrating on her foot. I have to make my brain to picture the foot moving away (getting smaller) and then back towards (when it gets bigger again).

Its not an easy trick for me, and I lost the ability to do it for a minute or two.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand what the trick or illusion is supposed to be. I look at it, and I clearly see a woman spinning clockwise. I don't see anything else no matter what part of her body I focus on or how I try to change my perspective or anything. I don't get how people are seeing anything else. [Dont Know]

Where did this come from? I demand an explanation of what's going on!

*EDIT*

Wait... WTF?! I made it switch! It still looks clockwise most of the time, but I can make it switch if I focus on her legs when they appear to overlap.

[ October 11, 2007, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.