FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books that you absolutely adore but nobody else has ever heard of (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books that you absolutely adore but nobody else has ever heard of
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
No way. Everyone has heard of The Kite Runner.

Not I.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Saraswattee is a fantastic book set in India. It has everything, incest, bigamy, whipping children to drive out devils, manadatory pedophilia, reincarnated goddesses, and demon kings as well as modern India. What's not to love.

And then there is:

The Death and Life of Miguel Cervantes but what's not to love about a fictionalization of the worlds greatest and earliest fictionalists.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of Invitation to the Game (I love it and reread it regularly) and I actually wrote a book report in grade seven or eight on the Tripods Trilogy.

One book nobody has heard of is a children's sci fi book- perhaps the first sci fi book I read aged about six or seven and fell in love with- by HM Hoover called This Time of Darkness. It's the mother of all post apocalyptic underground city books (imo) and is probably one of my favourites ever.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevil Shute's books

Round the Bend
Trustee from the Toolroom
Pied Piper
No Highway
The Legacy

Nevil Shute is one of my favorite writers of all time. His characters are often the sort of people you wouldn't notice if you worked with them or went to school with them, but they sort of quietly do extraordinary things. He's just wonderful. I hope someone else discovers him from this.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I might. I like those sorts of heroes, Tatiana.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
Go and Come Back by Joan Abelove. Read it.

Also The Kite Runner, which I thought no one had heard of, but now apparently there's going to be a movie of it. Woah.

From what I understand, the movie is pretty great. And the book is pretty front and center in bookstores now. Along with his second book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. (I think that's the name.)
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the authors who I hardly ever hear mentioned but who I have read and loved most of their stuff are: Alan Dean Foster and James P. Hogan. And then there is Harry Turtledove. I’ve read some of his stuff but I hardly ever hear him mentioned either.

[ November 20, 2007, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Samuel Bush ]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he writes so many novelizations of movies, I've always just kind of assumed that Alan Dean Foster was a hack. I haven't read any of his work as an adult, though, so I can't really judge.

Harry Turtledove, though, is a fairly big name in the alternate history subgenre. I think that he's a pretty limited writer, and unlikely at this point to get any better, but I love his ideas enough that I'm generally (though there are exceptions) willing to overlook the often clumsy, wooden writing in order to explore them. His books are often a lot of fun.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I only recently picked up the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster, any man who can come up with a homosexual unicorn as a plot device, is worthy of some praise.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read any of his novelizations, but I've read a bunch of Foster's other stuff. The Spellsinger series was entertaining, if not great literature. In other words, liked, but didn't love it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve_G:
--edit again-- just saw your post Lisa. Now that I know its there I will be reading it as soon as I can get my hands on it. Did you like it?

I did. It wasn't as good as the trilogy, but then I would have been surprised had it been.

I also liked his Prince in Waiting trilogy (though I haven't read it for like 20 years, so I don't remember much about it). Have you tried it?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey Lisa, I have always loved Heinlein’s YA books - “Have Spacesuit, Will Travel” included.
I read HS,WT in Junior High and loved it (and laughed at the anachronisms such as using slide rules to calculate tourist trips to the moon), but unfortunately didn't read any more of Heinlein until I was an adult. I've read some more of his YA fic since then, and have enjoyed all that I've read.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Blindsight, by Peter Watts.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ooh, anything by Peter Watts. I think that he and Harry Waldrop tie for Best Author Almost No One Has Ever Heard Of.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone ties with Peter Watts as Best Author Almost No One Has Ever Heard Of?! I must find this "Harry Waldrop" and read his books...

I have grown from being a huge Monica Hughes fanboy as a child to becoming a huge Peter Watts fanboy as an adult. Long live Canadian Sci-fi!

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, I always get Waldrop's name wrong. It's Howard, not Harry. I don't know why I always do that with him.

In any case, Waldrop and Watts write very, very different stuff. Honestly, the only thing they have in common is that relatively few people have heard of either of them. Waldrop's body of work is composed almost entirely of qirky, meticulously researched, slightly off-balance short stories, though he has written 1 novel, Them Bones, and co-written another, The Texas Israeli War (which is very, very early and very, very rough. Not a good book).

If you're interested, a short story that he wrote in collaboration with Leigh Kennedy, "One Horse Town" is available in its entirity at that link. Note that it's two pages, by the way. The first page brings the story to what could be mistaken for a conclusion, so it's easy to miss.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.