FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne has his own website! (updated with picture) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Blayne has his own website! (updated with picture)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anything against emacs. I don't have anything against writing code by chipping at stone with chisels, either.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he's a vi(m) guy?

For html/css, I think anything syntax highlighting is fine, so emacs works for me.

Coding, now, I expect some things that are easier to get elsewhere, usually.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
And rightly so; the advantage of chisels and stone is that you can use the result to bash in the heads of people who don't believe in programmable editing environments.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone has an editor crush...
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- vi guy
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- vim guy

I'm not convinced that IDEs are anything other than a crutch. [Wink]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
:q!
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne's site won't load.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Either that, or he's gone for an avant garde "white on white" theme.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
It's...beautiful!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I should have checked the 2nd page of this thread before attempting to view Blayne's site.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
the linux server seemed to have crashed sometime after I left the school.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
linux...server...crashed? Who runs this machine?!
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

the school does.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

k back up it seems.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you've got to get away from canned McFiction. There are plenty of genius level writers, Tolkien is not the only one.edit: and Asimov.
quote:
14. Q) What do you like reading?
A) Fantasy and Science Fiction.

15. Q) Details?
A) Forgotten Realms and DragonLance are persoanl favorite "Worlds" of mine.
While it is true that some standalone works I like but it takes a certain
level of genius to break from the fantasy stereotypes firmly entrenched
by JRR Tolkien's legacy as seen in FR & DL. The Artemies Fowl books I
consider works of friggin art in that respect pure genius I say!

16. Q) Science Fiction?
A) While I like in general Star Trek and Star Wars I have a much stronger
preference for "smart" science fiction.

17. Q) Examples?
A) Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Isaac Asimov books, Haloverse novels.

[ October 18, 2007, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yes there are more that I have enjoyed but I can nolonger remember them. Which is why I go to Hatrack alot, only way I can remember things otherwise "poof!" its gone after about 2 weeks.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That explains a lot. [Wink]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Blayne, like I said earlier, you should probably change the link colors, as the standard blue & purple is really difficult to read without highlighting on the background you're using.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it looks terrible. It is not a bad start and has a long way to go, though.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

working on it. is there a way in the <aref url="etc"> tag to add in colour?
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Typically, you would do that within the body tag, with attributes link, alink, and vlink. If you were some sort of html junkie.

That said, I'd use a style sheet.

Edit: If you were looking to change color on a link-by-link basis, throw a font tag directly in front of the link text. But again, style sheets are where it's at.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

CSS >> vlink/alink/link/font tags
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
working on it. is there a way in the <aref url="etc"> tag to add in colour?

What the two above me have said. Use CSS. If you're not up to working with a separate stylesheet yet, just use an internal stylesheet.

Here, this is what I'm talking about..

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you rearrange RPG to sound like rocket? >_>
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Rocket-propelled grenade.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

>_< Oy, duh.

Thanks, I totally forgot RPGs...

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see that your website has an easily rememberable URL...

Oh, and it appears to be down for me. No matter.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

You go to John Abbott?
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, have a word with the SysAdmin - looks like this site is down again, or at least unreachable.

Cheers.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Dude, you've got to get away from canned McFiction. There are plenty of genius level writers, Tolkien is not the only one.edit: and Asimov.
quote:
14. Q) What do you like reading?
A) Fantasy and Science Fiction.

15. Q) Details?
A) Forgotten Realms and DragonLance are persoanl favorite "Worlds" of mine.
While it is true that some standalone works I like but it takes a certain
level of genius to break from the fantasy stereotypes firmly entrenched
by JRR Tolkien's legacy as seen in FR & DL. The Artemies Fowl books I
consider works of friggin art in that respect pure genius I say!

16. Q) Science Fiction?
A) While I like in general Star Trek and Star Wars I have a much stronger
preference for "smart" science fiction.

17. Q) Examples?
A) Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Isaac Asimov books, Haloverse novels.

I take issue with Star Wars and Star Trek being depicted as "stupid" science fiction. B5 and BSG are great, to be sure, but they aren't magical, and ST and SW don't suck*

*Well okay, SOME of what's in there DOES suck, but some of it is also friggin' awesome, and I don't think the best B5 is better than the best ST or the best SW, I think they closely fall in around each other. Also, the reinvention of BSG has a decade on Star Trek's prime, and 30 years on the old Star Wars, and frankly I think those old timers still hold up amazingly well against the shows that've had the benefit of looking back on their precursors to see what works and what doesn't.

I think Star Trek and Star Wars both get beaten up on a lot, sometimes fairly (we all know TOS is MST3K material, and VOY and Enterprise are soundly inferior) and then unfairly (TNG was a pioneer and DS9 was some utterly fantastic television). Surely it's easy to rip on them because they are older, and because a great many people do, in comparison with today's excellent works of fiction (BSG/FF and such), but I think it's always best to interject and assign credit where credit is due.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I take issue with people distinguishing between "smart" and "stupid" books or movies in general.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

SW and ST have their moments but the movies for SW don't particularly compare with the scifi i have seen recently, and ST while nice to watch on an episode by episode basis don't have enough direction or structure overall they were enjoyable but not brilliant. BAB5 once you got past the slowness of the first season was brilliant.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Also I do not distinguish it as "smart" and "stupid" when did I say so? I distinguish it as scifi that tries to be smart and scifi that doesnt usually try to be smart, it doesnt automatically make it stupid just less smart.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that it does depress me to see franchise novels held up as examples of "smart" sci-fi, with no mention whatsoever of Bova, Niven, etc.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Maybe you could just call it the science fiction you like more?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Tom: while I like Bova and Niven, they aren't who would spring to mind for 'smart' sci-fi, personally.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"No, honey, I don't think you're stupid. You're just not very smart."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I shudder at the thought of trying to get a group of Internet geeks to agree on a list of "smart" sci-fi authors.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

its possible i may have read them but it would be so long ago that I would have no memory of it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Anyway, to sum up: we are universally agreed that there is better science fiction out there than the science fiction you are reading now. [Smile] *giggle*
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can all (excluding Mr. Bradley) safely agree on the following equation:

Haloverse Novels ≠ Smart Fiction

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

They sure as hell are you arrogant ass. Have you ever read them?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
If I wanted to, I could hang out with Joseph Staten in the next couple of weeks.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
They sure as hell are you arrogant ass. Have you ever read them?

What's your problem, Blayne? I haven't picked on you in months because I feel like you don't get it and you're not improving. I also feel like you might need some help and so I thought I'd offer you some sage advice as I've previously been in the stage you seem to be stuck in right now.

Do you want me to go back to making fun of your whenever I can? Because, if you call me names or swear at me again, I'll make sure to mercilessly mock you in every venue we share. I will never stop and I will make sure you feel like a worthless human being every day.

That is not a threat. It is a promise.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
One that would entail regular violations of the user agreement.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

It wouldn't be the first time.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

And demonstrates immaturity that far outclasses Blayne's.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Is this supposed to somehow deter me?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

One would hope it would, yes.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.