FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I lost my car keys- what do I do?

Author Topic: I lost my car keys- what do I do?
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
So I lost the only key to my van (a '96 Dodge Grand Caravan) that I have. How can I get that replaced?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A dodge dealership could rekey it for you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You might also call a regular locksmith and compare prices. My experience was that some makes and models used key blanks only available through a dealership, but you can at least call -- it may (or may not) cost less to avoid the dealership if you can.

---

Edited to add: I had to go through a dealer. A regular locksmith could get me in but could not replace the key.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom drives a 96 Dodge Grand Caravan. The keyblanks are available at at least some locksmiths.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Locksmiths having blanks requires that you have an existing key, though, right? Shawshank lost the only key.

You're probably going to have to somehow get the van to the dealership and have them install new lock tumblers and a new ignition. That cost me about $200 for my Dodge Neon, I don't know how model-specific those pieces are. And expect to be required to show proof of ownership just to make sure you aren't trying to steal the car from someone else by rekeying it.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The key itself has a code number that can be used to produce a new key. It was in your new owner information back in 96:) It would have been recorded together with your VIN. However, Chrysler might not still have the records from that far back. If they do, it will still take several days, but would not require that you physically move the van to the dealer.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, KPC and I cooperatively locked his keys in the trunk the night before our wedding. There was no inside trunk release in the car. The locksmith was able to create a key to open the trunk (which had an unpickable lock) without any other copy of the key. So I don't know how it works but you don't necessarily have to have a key to make a key...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
A locksmith should be able to do it, which means you won't have to have it towed to a dealer. (We did the same thing about a year ago.) It will cost MUCH more if the key has a theft-prevention chip. Ours was a normal key and cost $150 to have a new key made. We had to show the car title. (Call around. The first locksmith we called was going to charge around $300.)
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Chrysler, but Mazda has the key code stamped onto the cylinder of the passenger door lock. That way even if they don't have the record of the code at the dealership, they can still reproduce the key. You have to take off the inner door cover and remove the lock cylinder, which is easy if you know how, (and the car isn't locked to start with).

My guess is that every car make has a "back door" way of matching a key.

Then again, I lost the key to a 1972 Yamaha RD350 and when I went to the dealer, they looked at the VIN, opened a file drawer, and pulled out the correct key. I'd be willing to bet they have the key code for just about any car that's still on the road.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar experience as Glenn, only I was dealing with an 85 Honda Accord. The locksmith found the code on the cylinder of the glove box lock! Since it came out with only a phillips screwdriver, he charged me $25 for labor and the new key. [Big Grin]
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.