FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rowling Says Dumbledore Is Gay (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Rowling Says Dumbledore Is Gay
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I was referring to his original background, Puffy, the one where he's a devout Catholic.

Well, the Ultimate characters are often divergent from their mainstream counterparts in some fairly radical ways.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dissapointed to find that Dumbledore was such a fool. Grindlewald is the Hitler of the Harry Potter world.

Lily was perceptive enough to regretfully cut ties with Snape when he was falling into the dark side. Dumbledore apparently had so little of a moral compass that he tossed aside, you know, all ethics and morality out of devotion to an unrequited crush.

His counterpart isn't Snape - it's Bellatrix Lestrange. That's pretty lame. I know that it's supposed to make him human instead of an all good figure, but that's pathetic.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. Who doesn't make mistakes when it comes to charming people? It's not pathetic, it's something almost anyone could do, especially when they are young.
I doubt he's as bad as Bellatrix, at least he realized Grindlewald was bad news and that he didn't really want to be evil and enslave muggles.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
kmboots:

In the Ultimate universe, Kitty is dating Spiderman.

The Ultimate Colossus, Storm, Rogue, Nightcrawler, and Beast have NOTHING at all in common with their normal Marvelverse analogs.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Dumbledore apparently had so little of a moral compass that he tossed aside, you know, all ethics and morality out of devotion to an unrequited crush.

It's not just the crush, though. It's also that these ideas they're discussing seem like the solution to all his problems. I have to say, it seems really sad to me, because think how happy he must have been: He'd finally met someone who was his intellectual equal, for the first time ever, and it had begun to seem like all the things tying him down could be sorted out.

And I have to say, it was inevitable that he was going to realize what Grindelwald was, because Dumbledore's a good guy and he wasn't going to carry this whole Muggle-crushing thing out to the bitter end. It's just sad that it had to happen the way it did. And I don't think it's fair to compare him unfavorably with Lily, because she stayed friends with Snape for ages after she knew he was getting all wicked. Dumbledore only knew Grindelwald for what, two months?

And mercy, he was only seventeen. He was a kid.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

When asked why Dumbledore didn't seem to have had a love life, Rowling answered that it was because of the "great tragedy" of his life was that he had an unrequited devotion to Grindlewald.

If it was limited to being 17 and young and stupid, that would be both in keeping with the behavior of the other characters and it would make sense. Considering people are still sorting out their sexuality and crushes on friends are very normal at that age, it wouldn't even necessarily mean he was gay.

However, if "Because of an unrequited devotion to Grindlewald" is the answer to the question of why didn't 30-year-old or 50-year-old Dumbledore have a love life, that's where it gets just sad, and not sad in a "great tragedy" way - more like sad in a pathetic way.

I understand how thrilling it can be to meet someone with whom it seems like all your dreams will come true AND they make the sun come out, but when it doesn't work out or ever even get started, healthy people get over it. Eventually.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't familiar with that particular stereotype, nope. And to be clear, I'm not suggesting that he was picked to be gay for political reasons. It's just, coupled with some of the other decisions being made by Marvel lately, I wonder.

-----------------

quote:
Lily was perceptive enough to regretfully cut ties with Snape when he was falling into the dark side. Dumbledore apparently had so little of a moral compass that he tossed aside, you know, all ethics and morality out of devotion to an unrequited crush.
I hadn't thought of it that way. That does make things quite irritating. Not least because it means Dumbledore was full of crap when he was telling Harry about his background...and not least because, in all the rampant gossip-mongering Harry went through, no one gave a whiff of this.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm dissapointed to find that Dumbledore was such a fool. Grindlewald is the Hitler of the Harry Potter world.

Would that really be that surprising? Keep in mind we are talking about a very young, just-out-of-school Dumbledore - not the man he would become many decades later.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was kept to a teenage crush, not really. See my second post on this page, though - as an explanation for why Dumbledore NEVER had a love life, it isn't flattering to him. I'd think the same of anyone who pined for an unrequited teenage two-month crush. Snape's lifelong devotion to Lily is really kind of sad, but at least they were friends from childhood and it was shown to us how much she meant to him, how she was good (worthy), and how Snape was directly responsible for her death. None of the above applies to Grindlewald (except for the death, but that happened after Grindlewald opened concentration camps (!) ), and Dumbledore lived a whole lot longer.

I always figured Dumbledore was above the storm and drang of romantic relations - that's the price of being a great wizard. I am quite dissapointed to discover that he wasn't above it after all - he was just really, really bad at it.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Sheesh.

Pick a username. Stick with it.

You're confusing the n00bs.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is that hard to be excited by a charismatic person with radical ideas, especially when you're young and full of yourself, certain you can change the world. But he didn't follow that path blindly, and was eventually the one who stopped him.

I really don't understand why this is a big deal. DD was not what you'd call a venal person, I think, regardless of orientation.

I would be very suspicious of the aged wisdom of anyone who had never made a mistake.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think it is that hard to be excited by a charismatic person with radical ideas, especially when you're young and full of yourself, certain you can change the world. But he didn't follow that path blindly, and was eventually the one who stopped him.

I really don't understand why this is a big deal. DD was not what you'd call a venal person, I think, regardless of orientation.

I would be very suspicious of the aged wisdom of anyone who had never made a mistake.

Really? Granted I haven't read it in awhile, but as I recall Dumbledore did follow that path quite blindly for quite awhile. It was only upon his sister's death that he finally wised up. And even then, when he stopped him, he waited a long time. Presumably lots of deaths can be laid at Dumbledore's doorstep.

But the thing that is irksome to me is that we already knew all of that, and that Dumbledore had very human and plausible explanations for it. Then, after the story is over, after he and Harry had a heart-to-heart in the train station of the afterlife, we find out that their heart-to-heart really wasn't, and that Dumbledore's talk of high misguided ideals was just a mask for a teenage crush.

Or if it wasn't, why keep it secret? Especially, y'know, in the afterlife?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
kmboots:

In the Ultimate universe, Kitty is dating Spiderman.

The Ultimate Colossus, Storm, Rogue, Nightcrawler, and Beast have NOTHING at all in common with their normal Marvelverse analogs.

I am old. I stopped reading and collectiong them back when they were barely uncanny.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Oh. Well. Slim is now called Scott. For starters.
katharina
Member # 827

Woah - I have no idea why my username changed there. This was all on the same computer.

ETA: It changed again! I have no idea why!

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Woah - I have no idea why my username changed there. This was all on the same computer.

ETA: It changed again! I have no idea why!

Did you stop putting out a saucer of milk for the brownies? Because something's got them riled.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I don't know what happened, but I logged out and logged back in and everything seems to be back to normal.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm dissapointed to find that Dumbledore was such a fool. Grindlewald is the Hitler of the Harry Potter world."

So? Hitler was so beloved by so many on this world that the French had to be overrun, the Brits had to be bombed&blockaded into poverty, and the Americans had to be attacked by (Hitler's ally) Japan and have Germany declare war on the US before Hitler became unpopular with the majority.
Heck, the senior Bush borrowed "NewWorldOrder" from the dude.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the way things turned out was the result of a massive time turner event from the future in which Dumbledore and Grindewald were successful. And Dumbledore's sister is, like, Joan Collins.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.