FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Minotaur versus Centaur! Weigh in on the conflict!

Author Topic: Minotaur versus Centaur! Weigh in on the conflict!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I agree with Neil Gaiman.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Centaur got a long distance weapon and can run faster. Hell in elder scrolls i can kick three minitours asses with just a bow and im slow.

All it would have to do is stay out of way of opponant while reloading the cross bow.

Im just worried about where it is storing those arrows

OUCH

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Yebor! How's your life going these days?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm voting Centaur. Sure, in a hand-to-hand scuffle the minotaur would have the upper hand, but it would never get to that. The centaur can keep up range and shoot from afar.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
So much depends on the arena style. Starting with the assumptions that the centaur is a crack shot, the minotaur does not know fear or pain, the centaur is faster, the minotaur is stronger etc. In close quarters, the minotaur can't help but win. At very long distance with no cover, the centaur would just snipe it down with arrow after arrow until it collapsed. It's all a matter of circumstance. That being said, I'd go minotaur in most situations.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They are alone. They are a dying race. We should let them pass.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote centaur, but only after a krater or three of wine.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The centaur can kick, as they say, like a horse.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Centaurs travel in Tribes, Minotaurs are loaners.

However, Centaurs are prone to overindulging in the liquor, so that is an exploitable weakness.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Minotaurs are loaners.

Their interest rates are murder!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Minotaurs are loaners.

Their interest rates are murder!
Puffy, you are so full of it! Seriously, man, what a load of bull!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Do you have a beef with me, Noemon?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go centaur, depending on the space available. Maneuverability would be key.

Sorry to horn in on your debate guys, I was hoping to steer the thread back on course.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Thanks, Lyr. I was seeing red!

Yes, back to the Centaur.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I'm voting Centaur.

You should at least present an argument that can stand on four legs. It's like you're half serious, half horsing around!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Please, bridle your emotions.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Puffy, haven't you ever heard of the bankers leading a Bull market before?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

No. And we'll never get this thread back on track if this stampede of free association doesn't stop!
MightyCow
Member # 9253

If we decide to vote on continuing to stray from topic, put me down as a Neigh.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The centaur wins, so long as he pegs the minotaur's calf first.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Issues:
What is the Minotaur's natural armor bonus
Does he have a shield (that would = instant win)
How good is his aim with the trident.

Anyway, I will vote Minotaur just because a bull would kill a horse, but men have equal chances. Thus math determines that 1 + 1/2 > 0 + 1/2.

My logic is infallible.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Issues:
What is the Minotaur's natural armor bonus...

+5, according to my SRD.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Pretty sure they get a nice HP bonus too, and bolts don't do that much damage.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
But Centaurs get a bonus to hit with ranged weapons, and a crossbow has an increased critical threat range.

He could put a crossbow bolt through the Minotaur's eye. Boom. Over.

It really depends on the layout of the arena.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
It really depends on the layout of the arena.

Agreed. The Centaur would really have it rough were he forced to Hang Tough.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I first thought the minotaur, but I have to agree that the centaur would probably be able to stay out of the minotaur's reach and shoot the minotaur until it died. I assume that, since it has the body of a horse, a centaur is much faster than a minotaur.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's obviously the Minotaur. The Centaur has a crossbow, but where's the ammunition. hmmm?

Are we supposed to believe that this is some fantasy realm where you don't need to keep track of what he's going shoot from that crossbow? Nex you'll tell me that I don't need to pay attention to how much the things they're each carrying weigh or how they could possibly manage to move around while toting around all that cumbersome junk.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Minotaur, sure the centaur has a speed of 50 versus the minotaur's 30, but the minotaur had more hit points, does a lot of damage due to his strength and has the powerful charge ability. So, the centaur could run away, but if it wanted to attack it could only move 50 each round which is still within the minotaur's charge range of 60. So, the centaur could stay alive by running away, but that's still loosing in my book.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Time to go to the source of expertise... In Everquest 2, Minotaurs are 3 ^s. Centaurs are usually only one, maybe to, ^s (well, except for that one Epic).

So there. End of discussion.

*EDIT*

Is anyone bothered by the fact that the ad at the bottom of the page is "Los Alamos Physicists Have Opened a Gateway to Hell"?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
?? Mine's an ad for XLibris.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Centaurs are creatures of the forest, and as such, are well acquainted with a variety of natural poisons. A little arrowhead frog venom and the minotaur is toast - this is a battle to the death.
Itsame
Member # 9712

We already stated the weapons, you can't just add poison. If you can add poison then I can add a shield for the minotaur and your Centaur is dead.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

We stated the weapons, but there's no mention of ammunition - does that mean the centaur has to hit the minotaur with the crossbow? Obviously bolts are implied, and with no specific prohibition on the style of quality of the bolts, I say poison is valid.

The minotaur has strength, the centaur has brains - each uses his to the best of his ability.

Itsame
Member # 9712

Fine, then the Minotaur's centaur just happens to be created by a god and is + 80 to hit and damage for ranged attacks.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Minotaur brought his loaded dice, your centaur's stats are to no avail!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote Minotaur.

Honestly, who would win in a fight - a bull, or a horse? The bull would totally take the horse apart.

So, you have a "bull-man" with a "horse-man" - the man part gives each an equal advantage.

Now you've got the weapon to think of. A crossbow is a ranged weapon, yes, but a bull itself is very difficult to take down - certainly not with a single shot. At distance, in an open field, with no obstruction, and the centaur on high ground - I give advantage centaur. In any even ground with obstruction to provide cover gives advantage to the minotaur.

Also realize that the trident can be thrown, the bull also has weapons in his horns, and that a crossbow takes two hands and time to reload (and has limited ammunition).

So:
Animal half - advantage Minotaur
Human half - no advantage
Weapon - advantage centaur in open space with time to see the minotaur coming, advantage minotaur in nearly all other environments.

Ultimately, have to go with the minotaur on this one.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Differing human halves, though: centaur has upper half. Minotaur has... well... arms.

Also, a bull is a heckuva lot more durable than a horse. I've seen bull take one hell of a beating in a ring before going down, and they still kick around for several minutes even if you drive a four foot long sword down their spine.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.